Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xsnightclub

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Green Bay, WI
Sleep Light?

I thought that you were supposed to put very important post-it notes over that light so you rembered them the next morning.
Like a post-it note reminder light.

It is also bright enough to clearly steer ships away from my iMac during storms and heavy fog.

cyanide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2005
Chicago
personally...

i personally LOVE the light bright like that... the way it pulsates during sleep is a great way to put me to bed. its like its breathing, which is strangely comforting. maybe it has something to do with being in the womb. lol...

firsttube

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2004
cyanide said:
i personally LOVE the light bright like that... the way it pulsates during sleep is a great way to put me to bed. its like its breathing, which is strangely comforting. maybe it has something to do with being in the womb. lol...

That's very... interesting.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
xsnightclub said:
I thought that you were supposed to put very important post-it notes over that light so you rembered them the next morning.
Like a post-it note reminder light.

I'm, ahem, ashamed to admit that I have actually done this. :eek:

The other good one is pushing the post-it note into the little ring in your keychain, so you can't possibly pick up your keys and leave the house without noticing it? :D

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
mkrishnan said:

The other good one is pushing the post-it note into the little ring in your keychain, so you can't possibly pick up your keys and leave the house without noticing it? :D
I like placing the post-it on my bathroom mirror. If I left it on my keys, my cats would undoubtedly "play" with it thereby dragging it to some unknown distant land (ie under the bed). :p

beefstu01

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2002
CA
mkrishnan said:

The problem is that the post-it hides your keys really well, and you spend an hour trying to find the little bastards.

Well, at least for me.

BenAKL

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2005
Singapore
Linking the sensor to the display would be REALLY good.

Apple! Ya hear that?!
:D

RJP31484 said:
Personally, I love the fact that my rev. b iMac does this automatically! There is a small light sensor in the bottom grill that dims the sleep lightaccording to the light conditions in the room. Has anyone ever heard of a way to use this sensor to also dim the actualy display? It would be so great if I could have it set to be very bright during the day, and dim it at night if I have the lights out, or keep it bright if th lights are on.... much easier on the eyes that way.

Raiden

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2002
Words cant discribe how much I need this for my powerbook!!

For the past year since I have got it, I have been putting a old t-shirt or boxers or something to cover up that ****ing annoying light.

WHY OH WHY cant apple release this for the powerbook...

mj_1903

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2003
Sydney, Australia
aspro said:
honestly, the powerbook's light is so small I dont see how it could be annoying...

It is quite small but very bright. Fortunately my PowerBook's sleep light dims as it gets later and it is quite a soft glow by around 10pm.

As for my other Macs, that's a different story.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I need this for my G4 tower. I'm sick of resting a book against the front of the computer every night :rolleyes:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
That's a neat touch.

I wish my PowerBook and eMac had that!

(I'll confess though, when I first say the headline "iMac G5 Sleep Light Update" I wondered if it was April Fool's already. Sleep light update??)

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
wow, this is an update that I never thought I'd see. Nevertheless, I'm very happy to get it! Before I moved I used to have it in my bedroom, and I would shut it down every night because I couldn't fall asleep with it pulsating away.

alep85

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2005
Thank god! I always got annoyed by having that bright light shine on me in my dorm while I was sleeping, since I had to have my Mac right next to my bed. I was hoping someone would release a hack, thankfully, Apple did.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Ja Di ksw said:
Why don't they do this on other computers? I know of a few people who get annoyed at the "brightness" of the sleep light and put things over it. Personally, I can't tell once my eyes are closed, but there are people that get annoyed by it.

It may be that not all computers have the necessary hardware control to be able to dim the light, that is to run the light cycle in a different range.

This sort of update is one of those great reasons for buying a Mac - Apple keeps on refining the machines.

Sundance Kid

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2005
Canada
mj_1903 said:
It is quite small but very bright. Fortunately my PowerBook's sleep light dims as it gets later and it is quite a soft glow by around 10pm.

As for my other Macs, that's a different story.

how do you get it to dim on your power book?

and yes the powerbook light is small, but very very bright.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Sundance Kid said:
how do you get it to dim on your power book?

I think if you have a PowerBook with a backlit keyboard, the light sensor for that also adjusts the display and (possibly?) the sleep light? This is just my guess, is this true? I would like to find this out as well, as I'm in the market for a new PB that will live in my bedroom a lot.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
Jay42 said:
I think if you have a PowerBook with a backlit keyboard, the light sensor for that also adjusts the display and (possibly?) the sleep light? This is just my guess, is this true? I would like to find this out as well, as I'm in the market for a new PB that will live in my bedroom a lot.

well, if i remember correctly, the ambient light sensor is in the speaker grill..

so that means it wouldn't control the sleep light (because the lid would be closed anyway..)

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
asif786 said:
well, if i remember correctly, the ambient light sensor is in the speaker grill..

so that means it wouldn't control the sleep light (because the lid would be closed anyway..)

Hmmm, that's a good point. Then how do some people have PB's with dimming sleep lights? Anyone?

Noiseboy

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2002
Lurking nearby.
devilot76 said:
I like placing the post-it on my bathroom mirror. If I left it on my keys, my cats would undoubtedly "play" with it thereby dragging it to some unknown distant land (ie under the bed). :p

Isn't this why we have Stickies?:confused:

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Powerbook light

I've just tested the sleep light on my powerbook out. The brightness of it IS controlled by the light sensor, but ONLY when the lid is open (makes sense as the light sensor is under the speaker grill...) When the lid is closed, it goes to full brightness.

Hopefully apple will release an update for the powerbook light too, I have to cover it while I sleep too (leaving it open all night = more dust under keyboard). In the meantime, if anyone wants to try hacking it...

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
psonice said:
I've just tested the sleep light on my powerbook out. The brightness of it IS controlled by the light sensor, but ONLY when the lid is open (makes sense as the light sensor is under the speaker grill...) When the lid is closed, it goes to full brightness.

Hopefully apple will release an update for the powerbook light too, I have to cover it while I sleep too (leaving it open all night = more dust under keyboard). In the meantime, if anyone wants to try hacking it...

Apple really should do this since most of the time that the laptop's asleep, the lid's closed. Interesting though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.