IMAC i7 REFURB just opened the box - FIRST IMPRESSIONS/SERIAL NUMBERS

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rgp19699, Aug 2, 2010.

1. rgp19699 macrumors member

WARNING: IF YOU ARE NOT SUPER "PICKY" ABOUT STUFF, THE BEGINNING OF THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR YOU. It is hopefully for people, like myself, who have never bought a refurbished product before and want to look at every detail. HOWEVER, I DO HAVE AN IMPORTANT QUESTION AT THE BOTTOM, CAN ANYBODY PLEASE HELP ME WITH THAT? THANKS!!!

I thought I might do an "unboxing" of my refurbished iMac 27" for all of you guys who were/are concerned about buying a refurb. At this point in time, the jury is still out. I will update this thread after I turn the computer on. I haven't taken the plastic seal off the display because I want to vacuum first. I am extremely picky, like a lot of us here, and I think it serves to be so when inspecting a refurbished machine.

My first two impressions are NOT GOOD. For those of you who are more "kick back," you might LOL at the fact that I haven't even turned the computer on yet. But I wanted to study the box and packaging to see if possibly I received a "new" refurb like I was hoping for, and the Apple rep (that's a whole other story) thought I had a good chance of getting, too.

Anyway, first two impressions. I have pictures, and I will post them later if anyone wants. But I do want to turn the imac on and run the "yellow tint" test, first. So far, though:

1) BOTH the OS X Install DVD and the Applications install DVD have issues. One has some very fine scratches on it, and the other has a "band," almost a rainbow arc of discoloration on it. WTF? I must admit I've never studied the install DVD's of any computer I've ever gotten before, so I can't really tell if these are indications that the machine is used or not. I mean, a scratch is a scratch. But the discoloration?

2) The box, itself. I CANNOT BELIEVE APPLE WOULD ALLOW A $1699 PIECE OF EQUIPMENT TO BE SHIPPED THIS WAY. The box itself, has dents and crumpled edges. Oh, well. It was when I picked it up off the floor that "it" almost happened. The worst possible scenario. Luckily, I am only 5'3" and not the strongest woman. Because if I had been able to carry the box by the handle all the way to my table and been able to heft it up using just the handle, the computer UNDOUBTEDLY would have fallen through the bottom of the box and onto the floor (or table.) Instead, I had both arms around the box and basically slid it onto the table. (I couldn't lift it any higher, and didn't think I needed to.) When the box got about a third of the way onto the table, I heard the tape "pop" and the entire bottom flaps sprung open. Stuff literally fell out onto the floor. It was just a couple of bags of silica gel, luckily. I quickly slid the computer onto the table and laid it on its side in order to inspect the packaging. The (plain white, btw,) box had been secured by a single piece of THIN packing tape, and the tape was halfway off. I did not have to "razor" it open, or anything. It separated along the middle of the flaps, and with a gentle tug I was able to pull the whole bottom part open. I cannot believe it made it here under these circumstances. It's almost as if the first owner, or computer tech guy scored the tape and then just closed it and nobody noticed it wasn't secure when they reshipped it!! I would LOL myself, but I really want this computer to be as perfect as possible. Anyway, the computer looks fine with a brief inspection. I'll post more later if I find any evidence the imac fell out. One more thing: the silica bags that fell out both had masking tape on them. It looked like they were supposed to be taped onto something but somebody just sloppily taped that part of the tape back onto the bag, itself, so that's why they just fell out.

The question: Re: serial numbers: I know how to read them... I think. :eek: If mine starts "YD030XXXXXX" does that mean 2009 week 30 or 2010 week 30? I know most of the 2009 imacs that had the problems were the late 40's weeks. Could someone help me with this? Also, should I be concerned about using the disks? The scratch is tiny, but the other thing is weird (the discoloration.)

2. Dwhite78 macrumors regular

*whispers* Go turn it on and see if it works.

3. rgp19699 thread starter macrumors member

4. LAPTOPODO macrumors member

I hope after turning it on you forget about the package and the little scratched dvds...

Well, so much work would cost to send it on the typical iMac boxes??

Waiting for your news :)

5. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

I am probably pickier than you, that is why I always, ALWAYS, buy electronics brand new...never used or refurbed.

From the way you are I am shocked :eek: you even considered a refurb.

Nevertheless, I hope it turns out ok for you, I am always rooting for my fellow Mac brothers and sisters...:)

6. SkyMasterson macrumors newbie

Dude you're an amateur. To be really picky about stuff, you NEED to buy new, otherwise you aren't that picky.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

They should send you a new set of DVDs, complain about it.

They should ship them free, or swap them at an Apple Store.

Obviously, when if they say it'll be $19.95 shipping, just announce that you plan on wiping the drive and since the Restore DVDs don't work -- it will turn the machine into an instant DOA order.

Mine weren't just a few scratches, mine looked like they hosted a Office Hockey Tourney with them. And the above speech worked instantly when they wouldn't handle it under the Warranty.

8. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...how did you have the machine shipped, it sounds like shipping damage to the outside of the box = being at an FPO, we get a lot of shipping damanged boxes:eek:

10. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

Sometimes people cant afford to buy a new one!

11. LAPTOPODO macrumors member

I think that in 3 months won't be any big difference beetween a reburb (in good condition) and a new one :)

12. newdeal macrumors 68020

This has toe the most funny thing I have read in that you mention the DVDs and box and not the shape of the computer itself. All boxes will have damage from the shipping company. They are stacked, moved, probably hit by large sorting arms so yeah the box gets damaged. As for the DVDs put it in and see if it works. Also who cares if week 30 is prone to yellow screens or not. Turn it on if the screen is yellow send it back

13. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

From my experience refurbs as usually pretty nice however it appears as though quality control has gone down the last few years.

14. rgp19699 thread starter macrumors member

Some of you guys are missing the point. There are a lot of people who are curious about what a Refurb might look like when it comes.

And in terms of the box, I really wasn't concerned about the dents, etc. But to pick up a $1700 computer, and just by luck, not have it fall out of bottom of the box is terrible quality control.

I know the thread is kind of funny. I just wanted to know how "old" the machine is by seeing how I could check the serial number. Then I decided to add the other stuff. Only those who have never watched an unboxing on youtube may comment negatively. ;)

Anyway, thanks, mmomega, that's really what I was looking for. I'd still like to know if wk #30 is 2010's week 30 or 2009's week 30. I was never this way until I started reading MacRumors, I swear!

Btw, I still haven't plugged the machine in, yet. I just now finished dusting for fingerprints and am just waiting for the forensic analysis on the styrofoam to ascertain its age.

15. Kristenn macrumors 6502

Wow! I am really picky myself. And honestly, to whoever said someone that buys refurb is an amateur... bugger off. Refurbs (if refurbed well or taken care of) can be just as good as a brand new computer for less. Sounds smart to me.

I would LOVE to see pics! Sorry about the box n stuff. That must totally suck =/

I'm a bit surprised Apple didn't fix up a nice box for it.

16. Horus macrumors regular

Horus

17. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

HaHaHa, Ok Quincy, better have Sam run a gas chromography test on it while you are at it!

Attached Files:

18. Blu-Ray macrumors regular

Here it is straight up. I don’t think you will be able to get over this misfortune. My suggestion is that you send it back for a full refund as soon as possible and buy a new one. If at all possible, get one at brick and mortar so that you can have a squeaky clean non-battered box with brand spanking new discs and properly fastened silica. Trust me. You are better off not putting yourself through this stress.

I'll chalk this off as my pro-bono advice for the year. :cool:

19. rgp19699 thread starter macrumors member

Thx, Kristen. ;) And mmomega; that is a great resource, thx.

On the other hand, some of you guys wouldn't recognize "tongue in cheek" in a 10X mirror.
    LOL at the Quincy reference. I used to love that show. CSI's got nothin' on Quincy. Did you hear they're bringing back Hawaii 5-0? The Asian guy from "Lost" is going to co-star.
    Btw, for whomever asked, I had it shipped via FED-EX. And ya, it was pretty banged up; (and I don't really care as long as the goods are... well... good,) but it was literally another two steps away from falling through the bottom. Ok, enuf of that!
    I think SkyMaster, or whoever said I wasn't truly picky because I even considered buying a refurb... *sssh...* but I think s/he was kidding...
    I just turned it on. It is one big sucker. And the screen is gorgeous... of course, I won't really know until I test it and see if it's yellow.

20. Ravich macrumors 6502a

Really? I mean... seriously? What the hell was he going to tell you? Oh well, at least he did his job by getting you to buy it.

21. juicejumped macrumors newbie

I'm not sure but...you were asking if the imac was a week 30 2010 build?

I'm new to understanding Apple's build procedures...but week 30 of 2010 has yet to happen...So you could probably cross that out.

22. rgp19699 thread starter macrumors member

Ravich, I don't know what your problem is... that was just a passing comment. I wasn't putting down your special Apple salesman. When I said "that's a whole other story," I was referring to something he really did screw up. It turned out okay in the end, though, because customer service gave me a free trackpad and overnight shipping because of it. :D
    Boy, some people just love to piss on other people's threads, don't they? Even if they don't know what they're talking about. :rolleyes: They'll just make some arbitrary comment anyway. LOL

Ok. Thread closed.

Love my imac. If anyone wants to know what the final lowdown on what I think of my refurb purchase, PM me if you want.

23. rgp19699 thread starter macrumors member

Missed your post, Juice. Week 30 is in July. (I looked at the site mmomega referenced.) And didn't the previous generation, or refresh, or whatever it was, come out in September? So I actually think it was just built. I read where it happened to somebody else, too, but I forget where. :eek:

24. SkyMasterson macrumors newbie

Oh wow I just got back to this thread from my first first and yea I didn't mean to come off as an ass. I knew I should have put the :p in there at the end. I'm glad you got what I meant though.

Anyway yea if someone were truly picky they would have purchased new :p but from what I hear buying a refurb is practically new.

I hope your screen isn't yellow. I plan on ordering mine in the next week and I'm debating whether if I should even bother doing the yellow test. One of those things where ignorance is bliss haha.