imac is dead, long live...any Apple computer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by redkamel, Nov 2, 2010.

1. redkamel macrumors 6502

I have a C2D imac. It meets my needs fine. Unforunately, the screen has started buzzing, flickering and blacking out. Apple care is expired, and Genius can't figure it out. I am at the end of my wits...it just flickerd out on me for 45 minutes and I have ~50 important emails I need to send. I am going to the store tomorrow...if I don't get a lead, the imac is out the door.

I also have an MBA which meets my day to day, but it is not home base; I need to handle multiple docs, emails, photo and video editing so I need a "base" computer PDQ.

The questions is, what computer to get?
    I SHOULD get an imac: I love mine,already have a laptop, and its the best bang for the buck. Except my imac is dying at only 3 years. My old Powerbook lasted 5. I could also splurge for a refurbed mac pro and a monitor; it'd cost about the same. So whats popular opinion?

-An imac is what I need, but I am afraid of the quality and I hate my current situation with the screen.
    -A MBP with a 27 display would be ideal but expensive and I already have a laptop. Plus 500gigs is too low for me....I think....
    -A refurb mac pro with a display would be overkill, but more reliable.
    -13 inch MBP is out of the question, too close to my MBA. I need the juice.

Budget is around 2500-3K. I do mostly word processing and research, however, I do also do video editing as part of my work/fun, and I do a lot of photo editing as a hobby. I don't need a super powerhouse; my C2D was fine and I rarely photo edit these days.

2. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Buy a new iMac 27 inch and give me your old one :D

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

Personally I would never buy a computer from the same manufacturer if it died within 5 years unless it was something the hard disk dying.

Have you considered a snow leopard server with a superdrive and a nice screen?

4. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

unfortunately thats how things are today , even Mac's have become throw away items , as most sell their Mac's and upgrade after apple care ended , some even before as the resell value is a lot higher with apple care ,
    to upgrade to the new and faster model because the "old" one was showing signs of age and getting to slow :confused:
    i bought my late 2006 core duo (was a refurb sold in may 2007 i found out ) used , because it had in the last ~3 month of apple care replaced ...display, logicboard , and powersupply ...., so is now only a couple month old inside and should last another 2 years ... read i do not expect it to outlast my iMac G3 700mhz from late 2001 which is still a great working computer ,one i can always rely on

so yes i would go for the MacPro , as there are most parts consumerfriendly installed inside and easy to replace after apple care ends , so cheaper to replair ,and if you dont care to much about the looks inside even with generic parts from pc world if you just want it working again (bit tricky but possible)

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You could ask them if it is possible to disable the internal screen, buy an external monitor and continue using it, if the graphics card is working and the display is the problem. That should keep you going cheaply for a while, and the monitor will be useful with your next computer whatever it is.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Um, then you will have a real hard time buying any computer or electronic item. There is no such thing as "one computer being more dependable than another" for most computers out there. Brand new ones can be dead out of the box, and some are older than most people using them and still running.

7. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

It'll be the inverter or LCD, replace them both for less that £200.

Or remove the internal LCD cable and just use an external monitor.

8. redkamel thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I'll definitely mention it when I take it in again.
    Bu I thought the LCD itself was like $700 to be replaced. Once I am in for that much, I'd rather just bite the bullet.

OT Its BS macs have become throw away products. Once of their perks for me was longeivity.

They didnt have a DVI-VGA adapter yesterday, but I am going to check again when I go in. I don't think I will impulse buy a new computer out of frustration today...I hope. Although I just woke up and the screen has been dark for about 20 minutes.

9. redkamel thread starter macrumors 6502

I took it in to the store last week for a diagnostic. They kept it for 4 days and said it all checked out fine. I now have video of the problem though.

Interesting idea about the snow leopard server...

10. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

its sad that Apple products now are of this low quality
    I had a 2002 computer that lived damn long for a computer used daily,
    now screens die?

11. 7thMac macrumors 6502

There's a chance it could just be a small repair, i.e., the inverter. If Apple won't fix this at a reasonable price perhaps another shop can. Otherwise, at the cost of some clunkiness, it will be less expensive to purchase a nice external monitor.

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Check out this thread: http://forums.macresource.com/read.php?1,778981,779000

At least one of the posters bought an iMac with a broken LCD screen, opened it, removed two cables, added an external monitor, and got a cheap Mac that way.

13. rootsmaneuver macrumors member

Target disk mode

I know this doesn't fix your iMac, but if you have a buddy or family member with an intel mac that you can borrow for a little while, you could always boot the borrowed machine from you iMac's HDD with target disk mode and a firewire cable.

A short term solution so you can keep working. Then get a newer iMac.

14. redkamel thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for all the tips. Its set up to run off an external display for now. Going to see if I can get it repaired. If I can't, I think I am going to go with the 27inch Imac, top of the line when I get around to it. I really want the MP with an ACD, but less performance for more cost when i already have an MBA.....

Thanks.

15. autacraft Guest

Hello

Not had time to read all the posts so apologies if this has been mentioned, but try resetting your PRAM (google it) and make 100% sure you are running the relevant/most up to date firmware for your model.

I had one of the first gen imacs - the graphite special edition and when the screen finally packed up after about 6 years daily use, it just got resigned to a cupboard and forgotten.

One bored sunday, I decided to make her live again! and after a few hours of head banging and reinstalling, she was quite literally as good as new and in perfect working order!

If youve got nothing to lose (except your hair for a couple of hours!) try it out.

Good Luck