Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
This is a very good sign! My parents have been waiting to get a new iMac, but have been holding out until the new ones come out. They've been using their 17" Rev A Core Duo iMac for far too long :p

coasterider

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Washington, DC
To: WickedRabbit and CoasterRider

I am simply implying that SDXC is indeed new on the scene and Blu-Ray has been on the market for a good 3+ years now if not longer if you consider the early adopters. SDXC will follow the same path. Agreed and I never claimed that SDXC will replace BD in the next 3-5 years, however its already included in the MacMini and will be adopted by the rest of the Mac lineup that already have an SDHC slot.

I did mention that price at the moment is steep, then again so is SSD and that has been coming down in price due to competition and the markets demand for it. Thus SDXC will follow down the same path.

Remember when BD-R discs used to cost upwards of $50+ for one disc. :eek:

I agree the SDXC cards are going down the same path. But why skip over Blu Ray for something that is maybe 3 years behind? I'm not really arguing for one or the other, but I do not understand why SJ would skip over Blu Ray, its just more options, its still a cd/dvd burner, and the cost is not that much higher. The only way to skip over a Blu Ray, in my opinion, is to completely eliminate disk drives, which won't happen for a few more years, like you said earlier.

Acceleroto

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2009
Mac Pros are starting to go unavailable at some stores here in Las Vegas. Several (not just high end) iMacs are out too.

Here are some screen shots from the Town Square and Summit Sierra Apple Stores in Las Vegas.

Tuesday?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-07-25 at 11.03.57 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-07-25 at 11.03.57 PM.png
    62.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Screen shot 2010-07-25 at 11.04.30 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-07-25 at 11.04.30 PM.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 57

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
I agree the SDXC cards are going down the same path. But why skip over Blu Ray for something that is maybe 3 years behind? I'm not really arguing for one or the other, but I do not understand why SJ would skip over Blu Ray, its just more options, its still a cd/dvd burner, and the cost is not that much higher. The only way to skip over a Blu Ray, in my opinion, is to completely eliminate disk drives, which won't happen for a few more years, like you said earlier.

I am still scratching my head over why the iPad could not include an SD slot. It would have made it that much more expandable. Then again who knows what SJ is thinking. On that note why no SD slot on the MB, seems :apple: has not changed trying to milk its customers since the G3/G4/G5 days. :(:eek:

Sony pissed off SJ. :D

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
I wonder what that means in terms of graphics and processors. The core i7 while a great chip is certainly not at the cutting edge of intel's line up at the moment.

I do hope prices come down for those chips. They are way too high at the moment.

coasterider

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Washington, DC
I am still scratching my head over why the iPad could not include an SD slot. It would have made it that much more expandable. Then again who knows what SJ is thinking. On that note why no SD slot on the MB, seems :apple: has not changed trying to milk its customers since the G3/G4/G5 days. :(:eek:

I can understand no slot in the iPad, although unfortunate it does make some sense.. you would lose the overall form factor, less space for other parts, etc. But the MB, I have no clue. Just another way to make people buy the more expensive one.

To 300D: Not fake, but they are all available at my stores nearby as well, I guess its not instant :p.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
SDXC a given.
xMP camera also a given.
1-2TB HDD SATA 3 looks likely.
HDMI possibility.
Here is hoping for matte option.

HDMI? Doubt it. Yes it was on the MacMini, but that was because many users, myself included, hook up the MM to our TV's. On these units, HDMI makes sense. On the iMac, not so much.

Lord Vader

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2010
Death Star
Though its still early in the game, Blu-Ray will be phased out by SDXC. I do not really see the point of BD anyhow. Sure you can watch HD movies, however :apple: is promoting the iTMS venue for content consumption. If :apple: was serious about BD we would see native support in Mac OS X. However here we are?

As far as :apple: was and is concerned HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are prehistoric and the only reason why the SuperDrive is even included is because Mac OS X and other software is delivered via such. The moment you can fit Mac OS X on an SD card for the price of a DVD, the SuperDrive will be placed to rest. Looking forward to that day. :D

Much have the option of a 2nd empty HDD bay to upgrade my iMac and a SDXC slot. Perfection for the moment.

I think Apple will make few bucks more by adding an option of iMac without ODD with that extra space reserved for second HDD. I have a feeling that a lot of Mac users don't use super drives anymore.

Lord Vader

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2010
Death Star

Looking at iPad insides it looks like it has plenty of space for all kinds of things. Some moves SJ makes just can't be explained.

spikejp

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2010
I am a PC User who has seen the light.... I am sitting here looking through the MacRumors website, cash in hand, wanting to buy a MacPro...
So any guesstimates on how long before this Update and when it reaches the stores????

Spike:D

mogens

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
My guess:
Apple's holding back Imac's, because of the upcoming Ilife'10, which will be bundled with every new Imac. So no hardware changes to the Imac this time....

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Revisions are imminent. I love waking up to the sultry morning air to find Macrumors reporting on the latest revisions. Makes for a fun coffee-in-hand sunup.

I see I'm not the only one who loves a cup of morning coffee and a page full of Mac updates. :D

Here's hoping for tomorrow.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
I am a PC User who has seen the light.... I am sitting here looking through the MacRumors website, cash in hand, wanting to buy a MacPro...
So any guesstimates on how long before this Update and when it reaches the stores????

Spike:D

When Mac Hardware is announced w/o a special event, it is typically available that day. The only exception to this that I can recall was the release of the i5 and i7 iMacs a few weeks after the C2D model was released.

bjeadeh

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
new desktops

I can't wait. If they improve the Mac Pro the same percentage they did to the Mac Mini, I will be all over that. I would love blue ray, but if it's not there, it's not there. I would really like to see the Airport extreme card and Bluetooth as an included feature, as well as an esata connector.

iWolf00

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
New iMac is coming along with the MP. Nice apple well done, hopefully iMac does not outperform MP in some application this time :p:p

JLew715

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
I for one really hope it's a redesign. I always looked forward to Apple's amazing iMac designs for the first generations, first the colourful bubble then the "lamp" then the sleek G5...but that's where it stopped. Since the G5 all we've gotten is different case material, slightly thinner, and the screen border extending all the way to the edge. What happened!? I want another creative design :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.