iMac Last Updated 602 Days Ago, Longest Span Ever Between Updates

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Zdigital2015 macrumors 6502a

Price out the equivalent Xeon-W workstation with a 5K display and get back to me with your absurd savings...

2. smoledman macrumors 68000

If Apple neglects desktop because it's 1% of total sales than that leaves room for Microsoft, HP, Lenovo once they finally get their acts together. Especially Surface Studio - still waiting on that Thunderbolt port.

3. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

So what if the iMac Pro replaces the iMac? iMac is phased out--only option is the $5000 Pro? That's one thing I'm concerned about.

4. Zdigital2015 macrumors 6502a

While I am more forgiving of Apple’s lack of updates to the iMac right now, the 4 year wait between Mac mini’s was completely inexcusable. The mini chassis is a known proven quantity and Apple could have updated it in lockstep with the MacBook Air and/or 13”/15” MacBook Pro instead of the abject neglect heaped upon it being stuck at Haswell for 4 years. The same goes for the 27” Thunderbolt Display and the 2013 MacPro.

5. Zenithal macrumors 604

Yes, that's the varmint.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 29, 2019 ---
    I'm sure you'd love it! It's very bougie for your age demographic.

6. Zdigital2015 macrumors 6502a

The iMac Pro is not going to replace the iMac. Apple sells quite a few iMacs and makes healthy margins on them. Besides, the diversity of users who use and love their iMacs, but are not served by the Pro is simply too large too ignore, even for “The iPhone Company”.

7. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

As bougie as my life is, I wouldn't want that because 5 grand is more than $1000 more than I've ever spent on a computer and I don't think I could justify that given how often I prefer to upgrade, not to mention ultimately I think 21.5" is a better size.

Although if they come out with a 21" iMac Pro...

8. Zdigital2015 macrumors 6502a

...flying pigs will not be far behind!:)

9. iSayuSay macrumors 68040

iSayuSay

Well that's exactly what I hate about iMac and AIO in general. One simple failure and the whole package goes down with it. It was expensive repair for me too (in my case, I think it's the GPU that's soldered to the whole logic board). iMac has the intricacy of a laptop, and the immobility of a desktop. It's the worst of both world IMO.

If something breaks, you'd look like a weirdo trying to lug it around to your nearest Apple Store.
    Hate to break it since iMac actually has the sweet spot between performance and price of any Mac. Just really hate the form factor.

10. ROGmaster macrumors 6502a

There are no holes missing in Intel’s product portfolio. You don't know what you are talking about.

Yes there are.
    The Radeon Pro 500 chips Apple uses in their latest iMacs are based on the old Polaris architecture AMD released in 2016.
    Well Dell's market share grew at the end of 2018 while Apple's computer market share declined. So they are obviously doing something right.
    And what's the problem with Dell trying new things? especially when they are doing it in the benefit of their costumers.
    Anyway unlike Apple, Dell does refresh their computers every year. So you can always buy the latest hardware from them at competitive pricing. I don't see whta's wrong with that.

LoL, AMD's Vega cards have been on the market for quite some time now so why is Apple still using Polaris GPU's in their iMacs?
    You are wrong, Apple has no excuse.
    Irrelevant. The ipad is a different category.
    And Apple doesn't have competitors breathing down their necks in the tablet market. A very important detail, the computer market is way way more competitive.
    And Apple has been doing a fine job not giving people many(if any) incentives to upgrade in the first place in these recent years. If they keep it up like this the situation will only get worse in time.
    LoL, why are you trying to serve us Apple marketing?
    Do you work for apple? or you simply don't have any real arguments left?

11. HJM.NL, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019

HJM.NL macrumors 68000

HJM.NL

The positives you’re projecting are from the era when Apple sold you a good experience. That era has gone. What’s left is the era with faulty outdated products, software that’s just an after thought and only seeing incremental updates at best.

The very luxury Apple stores may be overwhelming, but it’s you who is paying. Together with the extreme amount of profits which won’t go to investments to make their products up to date, it’s gotten a rotten experience.

As a teacher you don’t seem to care and you don’t seem to follow the technology trend either. Because otherwise you and your classroom were using chromebooks which are better suited for the job and a fraction of the price. With the money saved, you and your pupils could invest in other education related things instead of paying the Apple tax.

That’s just the way it is.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 30, 2019 ---
    You forget these practices from Apple won’t attract much newcomers to the platform only the people trapped. Apple used to rank in the top when it came to laptops. They’ve slipped to mediocre. It will take some time mouth is going to the street and believe me, that is happening.

12. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

I guess it’s telling that even the most rotten Mac running macOS can still offer a better experience than a windows laptop then.

For our 1-to-1 computing initiative, the students purchase their own laptops, so I see no reason to recommend that they purchase chrome books.

We have 44 iPads for assorted activities, but otherwise, we have no other Apple products. Everything I have mentioned, is paid for out of my own pocket. Basically everything is unfriendly to Apple products, which is why I have to invest in my own infrastructure, but it’s worth every cent.

Apple just announced they have 900 million iPhone users (man, Neil Cybart sure was accurate; at 945 million, it’s a lot closer than the estimates some of you came up with), compared to 100 million Mac users. Most people are entering the Apple ecosystem via the iPhone, not the Mac.

And if you have been following my posts for some time, you will know where I stand on the matter of Mac and mobile / wearables.

13. 123 macrumors 6502

If you don't know what you're talking about it is usually best to just shut up.

There were several ads (e.g. google pentium snail) highlighting Apple's processor superiority. Also, all keynotes featured performance comparisons (notorious Photoshop benchmarks). Not only did Apple mention processor models all the time, they in fact coined new names for them specifically for marketing purposes (G3/4/5 processor names are Apple's names, not the real PPC model names).

But it didn't stop there, Apple put the processor name into all models they released. If you bought a computer from Apple, you bought a "PowerBook G4" or a "Power Mac G4 Cube" even though there was only this one cube model. In fact, when Steve Jobs introduced the very first iMac, he was speaking at length about processors, the new best in class G3, Megahertz and even the size of Level 2 cache in the iMac. So, yes, because at the time Apple's processors were more than competitive, Apple very much hammered it into everyone's head and marketed processor names to the general public so people would go into stores and ask for computers with "G3".

That's exactly why they called it a "myth". It seems you don't know what the term means. Let me help you, Jobs/Rubinstein explained it in the Macworld NY 2001 keynote:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=tPBtXUUeFK0

(BTW: Jobs never fully understood it himself)

14. HJM.NL macrumors 68000

HJM.NL

I’m trying to ignore your opinions because in my opinion you’re as desillusional as our Timmy is.

15. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

One bets against Apple to their own detriment though. That much hasn’t changed.

Time will tell. Whether I am the insane one in a sane forum, or the sane one in an insane forum.

16. ROGmaster macrumors 6502a

Thta's simply an ignorant statement.

17. HJM.NL macrumors 68000

HJM.NL

Proof you’re ignorant and holding on to a myth. You haven’t seen the possibilities out there today. That’s why you are hanging on to assumptions from the past. But it’s okay with me if that makes you feel good. It’s like telling the earth is flat :rolleyes:

18. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

So which windows computer out there offers me the same integrated experience with my other Apple devices, the same way my iMac does?

19. HJM.NL macrumors 68000

HJM.NL

That’s the problem with Apple’s expensive proprietary approach. It has to be Apple, or you’re out of choices.You are forced to stay at one brand, company. That’s milking you out from cables, dongles, ram and out of date hardware whereas other companies relying on open standards so you are free to pick the best choice.

20. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

And for me, that one integrated solution bests whether alternatives that can be cobbled together using third party alternatives.

One example is the classic iPhone + Apple Watch + Airpods combination. Maybe on their own, there are products which beat each of them individually based on some metric which matters more to you than the rest. But put them all together, and the combined synergy of those 3 Apple products is a totally different story. You will be hard pressed to find an android phone, an android wear device and a pair of wireless earbuds which work as well together.

From there, the iPad is a no brainier. It shares the same apps as my iPhone and offers hands down the best tablet experience. If I want to mirror my iPad, the Apple TV is pretty much the only option in town. At this point, there isn’t much point in opting for Spotify over Apple Music.

As you round out the rest of the ecosystem, a Mac makes sense for continuity, airdrop, iCloud, and native apps.

What Apple offers isn’t for everyone, but there will still be users for whom Apple continues to be the best option for their needs. I am one such person.

21. lowkey, Jan 30, 2019

lowkey macrumors 6502

He’s right though. My 2015 MacBook is a better overall experience than our new Huawei Matebook Pro with Windows.

The Huawei hardware is meant to be the best the PC world can currently offer, but it doesn’t feel anywhere near as well put together. The trackpads in the 2 laptops are like chalk and cheese...with my 4 year old Macbookbook the clear winner.

Then there is software integration and Os. Apple wins hands down imo.

So yeah. Much as I appreciate the improvements Huawei has brought to the PC world by copying the MacBook Pro with its Matebook Pro, it’s still not up to the levels of fit, finish and design of Apple. And Windows and it’s packaged software is still not up there with MacOS and the bundles software that comes with the Apple.

Keep dreaming. Or perhaps keep frequenting PC forums instead. LOL

22. ROGmaster macrumors 6502a

So as highly subjective as it can be and dependable on a external factors. LoL

Yeah it's not, it's above Apple's level.

23. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

I get your thinking. But I'd also say you should consider the incredible value you got out of your 2008 and maybe consider you just ride with Apple again.

Since I don't need graphics power for my home computer, I got the new Mac mini. It is great and I suspect it will be a workhorse similar to your 2008. If I ever need a real GPU, I can add an external one. I'm liking the modular life at this point because it will be upgradeable.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 30, 2019 ---
    Yeah, the price was what always got me. That gorgeous screen put it over the edge. But I'm all about modular now.

24. Zdigital2015, Jan 30, 2019

Zdigital2015 macrumors 6502a

I don't know what I am talking about? Hate to disappoint you, but I do.

It is pretty clear by now that Apple is going to use 9th Generation CPUs in at least the 27" iMac, and Intel is currently missing the following CPUs from its lineup:

Destined for the Mac mini
    • Core i3-9100, Core i3-9100B

KF version announced, but not K
    • Core i3-9350K

Destined for the iMac and Mac mini

• Core i5-9400 (announced, but not shipping as of yet)
    • Core i5-9500, i5-9500B
    • Core i5-9600
    • Core i7-9700, i5-9700B
    This is by no means a complete list either, as there are no T variants listed here, and those are standard versions of any Intel CPU generation.

Instead, what we got from Intel at CES was the KF versions of CPUs with no iGPU, which are an even dumber idea than the Kaby Lake-X CPUs, and that is saying something. So, yes there are holes in Intel's product portfolio right now that I expect will be addressed by Computex 2019 or possibly earlier (April, if history is any guide).

Other than the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M in the 2013 and 2014 15" MacBook Pros, Apple has not been a company to continue using the same GPUs in multiple generations of its products. Considering that Apple needs to design and qualify a new PCH (300-Series/CM246) in order to move to 8th and 9th Gen, it makes zero engineering sense to include a Polaris 20/30 or Vega 10-based (56 and 64) GPU as they are nearing the end of their run and were considered "old" back in June of 2018, which is the earliest date Apple could have introduced 8th Gen iMacs (Intel's 8th Gen portfolio was filled out in April of 2018).

**The Mac mini 2018 release means that most of the work has been done, but the CM246 PCH used was only released in Q3 of 2018, so Apple may still be working out the kinks with respect to the iMac.

The existence of AMD 7nm Navi GPUs is less a matter of if than it is of when, and are rumored to have better performance than even the current Vega 56 and 64 in the iMac Pro. Which would you rather have in a new iMac?

I was also disappointed that AMD did not announce Navi at CES, although savvier users than I pointed out that Computex Taipei 2019 is the most likely venue and the event takes place before WWDC, which is when I think an iMac update is most likely to be announced. I would rather that AMD have the kinks worked out and can provide Apple with enough GPUs than have a repeat of the Vega 16/Vega 20 "surprise" of last year's MacBook Pro.

You are right, Dell's market share did grow and that is great for them. The fact remains that Dell has multiple product lines (Vostro, Latitude, XPS, Alienware, Precision, Inspiron, G-Series, Optiplex) along with different series (3000, 5000, 7000, et al.) that adds up to a confusing mess. Dell has no mobile or tablet products in their portfolio, and when they attempted to enter those markets, it was half-heartedly and doomed from the start. Dell's value is in their datacenter products (EMC), corporate computing (and the requisite turnover schedule) and virtual machines (VMWare). Their return to being a publicly traded company at the end of 2018 was convoluted at best (exchanging their Tracking Stock for Common Shares, WTF?). Granted, Dell has paid off a massive amount of debt, but their main business is still selling PCs, which has not exactly been the prime spot to be in for the past seven years.

Dell and Apple are both at the mercy of Intel's shipping schedule, but Dell's overall success is more closely tied to Intel's product schedule roadmap staying on track than Apple, especially after the Broadwell fiasco.

Apple decided that the Vega 56 and 64 are for the iMac Pro and not the standard iMac. Again, I refer to the above written concerning Polaris and Vega GPUs and the necessary engineering time to create an iMac based on the 300-Series PCH. If Apple included Polaris 20 GPUs (RX560, RX570 or RX580)in an updated Coffee Lake-based iMac, there would be howls of complaint from users in this forum. Apple is simply not going to become a victim of the PC churn that has plagued the industry for decades.

25. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

Apple has also used the same GPUs for 2012-2013 MacBook Pros, 2011 (early and late) models, 2008-2009, 2007-2008, 2006-2007 models. MacBooks from 2006-2007, 2007-2008, 2008-2009. iMacs 2006-2007, 2007-2008, 2008-2009, 2009 (different generations and body styles). Mac minis 2006-2007, 2009 (also different generations and models), and I may have missed a few, and possibly MacBook Airs. That’s only after Intel. I remember some PPC models with repeated graphics too.