iMac Mid 2011 Bluetooth 4.0 internal upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Czo, Sep 16, 2014.

1. pispo macrumors newbie

So the only ways are:
    * Cut the original wire and solder the wires to the PCI-E adapter. Non-reversible. Difficulty medium. Needed PCI-E adapter v3, Broadcom Card and RF cable extension.
    * Rebuild the BT connector and solder such connector to the PCI-E adapter. Reversible. Hard to do. Needed PCI-E adapter v3, Broadcom Card and RF cable extension and old BT card.
    * Leave disconnected the PCI-E, so only the Broadcom WIFI is used. Then it is possible to use a extra BT dongle. Reversible. Easy to do. Needed PCI-E adapter v3, Broadcom Card and USB BT4 dongle.

I want to go for the second one but I'm afraid of destroying the BT connector :(

2. Vic Otting macrumors newbie

It is very tricky, but I think it is possible with the dongle. Such a dongle is very small and I've put it on my keyboard. So I can't see it.

3. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

To make the procedure reversible, I just bought another Bluetooth cable. So if I want to reverse it, I just remove the modified cable and replace it with the new cable. The cable cost about $6 on eBay for my Late 2009 iMac 27".

4. coolmaster macrumors newbie

Buy a replacement cable seem like an easier solution. Did you have to access the motherboard to replace cable?

5. pispo macrumors newbie

This is also another possible solution. I have been searching and the model part for 2011 model is "922-9846". It costs around 40-50€ in europe :S

6. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

The bluetooth connector is very easy to access to once you open the case. I'm glad that I ordered the backup bluetooth cable. I messed up the first on trying to solder the cables. So I just disconnected the old one, and attached the new one, and I'm back in business. I bought it from this auction for $6.75 USD. It works for 2009-2011.

Attached Files:

7. yifuhood macrumors member

sorry to ask this

:eek:

hey i have never sold anything and i have no tools for that, if you can make one for me would like to buy one from you and pay your work. i am sorry to ask you here at macrumors , a place not for business . but please understand me , or anyone would help me make one?

8. coolmaster macrumors newbie

Sorry, I don't have time to oder the material and open my working iMac to test the cable built, maybe others in this forum can help you out. I am also a first time solderer, so it is really not as hard as it first seem. I searched internet for youtube video for smd/dipp solder and desolder demo and just practice it on a spare part before do it on actual board. If you still not feel comfortable, you can try ECJ did by order a spare bluetooth cable before you cut your original one. The only solder you will need is solder a wire to R1 on the adaptor and that is very easy to do with any cheap low power solder gun.
    To be honest, while this continuity function is a nice to have feature, it is not a must-have for everyday usage.

9. yifuhood macrumors member

thanks

thank you for the reply.

i think i will wait a bit , see if any computer shop is going to make adapter kit for imac 2011. otherwise i will try to do it by myself . i have just upgrade the imac 2011 27 with a samsung 850pro 1tb and 32GB ram(about 750euro). i think i am going to keep this mac for some years still.

i want to upgrade the bluetooth to 4.0 is not only for continuity feature, but really for the the bluetooth 4.0, i am do music editing, the 2.1 bluetooth is a little slow (delayed)when i use my bluetooth 4.0 headphone , so i have to use wire most of the times. but i would like to move around some times when i record some stuff.

hope i could find something on eBay. :rolleyes:

10. Seanm57 macrumors newbie

Crizzly,
    When you say defective pcie unit, do you mean the adapter or the Broadcom wifi card? I have the same problem as you had and I'm trying to figure out if my Broadcom card is the problem or the adapter.

11. Zioweb, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015

Zioweb macrumors newbie

Hi, I've a similar problem. Made tonight the mod on my imac 2011 27", used an adapter v3.0, an original apple broadcom and an antenna extender.
    I've connected D+, D- and also 3.3v to the correct pin.
    Mac started, wifi ok but bluetooth not found.
    Listed in the USB devices I can see a Broadcom Bluetooth Download Device, but in the Bluetooth tab say nothing.

Maybe a faulty card also for me?

EDIT: False Alarm, it was a problem with the iobluetoothfamily.kext probably messed up, recovered and now it works like a charm!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU EVERYBODY FOR THE VERY PRECIOUS INFORMATIONS ABOUT THE MOD!!!!!

12. Kantmann macrumors newbie

Zioweb, did you need to solder the BT connecters, or did you figure something else out? I've been following this thread for awhile, about ready to crack open the 2011 27" iMac to install a 1 TB 850 EVO SSD, but have been waiting to get this BT 4.0 teased out first. I have the 24" antennae extender, the new broadcom card and v3.0 adapter.
    Thanks to everyone for the groundwork on this!

13. Zioweb macrumors newbie

Yes. I've removed the old BT adapter, extracted the cable from the original male connector and soldered to the cables that goes to the adapter. Only 3 wire: D+, D- and 3.3v. Worked perfectly at first attempt.
    I also used the antenna extension from the original position to the new card.

Follow the instruction in this thread, look for the correct color schema of your cable, mine has a different color scheme but similar to another user.

14. Kantmann macrumors newbie

Can electrical tape cause overheating?

Finally found some time to crack open the 2011 27" iMac yesterday, added a new SSD, removed the old Bluetooth card, a lot of dust, and installed a new Broadcom Airport card (with BT 4.0), and everything seems to be working fine (continuity, etc.). I secured the Airport card to the adapter by wrapping with electrical tape, which also insulated the 4 antennae terminals from shorting on anything.
    It now occurs to me that this has created the potential to overheat the card. Has anyone had any overheating issues with the Broadcom upgrade?

15. barolomark macrumors newbie

iMac Mid 2011 BT4 Card doesn't work

Hi there,

i change my iMac 12,2 to the Broadcom BCM94360CD Card with adapter V3.0...
    WLAN works really fine - but BT 4 doesn't. I try to connect the D+/D- cable from the old BT card connector and i also use the 3,3V but the system info says "No Hardware detected". Any ideas what's wrong with my configuration ? Thanks a lot. Mark.

16. cervicor macrumors newbie

OSXWIFI-card - connection

Hello,

maybe here is someone who can help me. The guys from OSXWIFI do not react on any email.
    I bought a „APPLE BROADCOM BCM94360CD - 802.11 A/B/G/N/AC + BLUETOOTH 4.0 WITH ADAPTER FOR PC/HACKINTOSH LAPTOP WITH FULL SIZE MINIPCIE CARD“ from OSXWIFI.
    Can someone tell me please, what are the two soldering points inside the red ellipse? These are the Power (GND & 3,3V) for the Bluetooth-USB-port? If yes, what is GND and what is 3,3V (1 & 2)?

thanks
    cervicor

Attached Files:

17. Headrush69 macrumors member

Another success story here on a 27" 2011 iMac.

Thanks all for the pics and instructions.

18. QuestionSanity macrumors newbie

Corban,

I'm about to begin this upgrade on my 21-inch 2011 iMac. I have a couple of questions for you.

So you bought the additional BT cable as linked to.

1)Where did you decide to mount it to get good reception?
    2)Do you know what connector the attennae it goes to on the broadcom board? 3) And if I don't care if the BT & AP power are connected/controlled together, that means, aside from the antennae everything is plug and play? No additional soldiering?
    4) And did you disconnect the original bluetooth card then?

Thanks for your time. It's been hard finding specific answers for that specific model. Seems like everyone is doing the upgrade to the 27-inch iMacs.

19. kkclstuff, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015

kkclstuff macrumors newbie

Plug and play install with scavenged connector

Hello
    First off, thank you to everyone, all their ideas, and posts!!

I too wanted to do this upgrade in my 2011 21.5" iMac without altering (cutting) any of the wiring. Ive been trying to find the model number of the BT connector so that we can purchase the part for our upgrades.

FWIW, buying a used BCM92046MD BT board to scavenge the connector is probably the most cost effective solution. My cost for a used board on eBay was $3 shipped. As stated in scroberts72 post, QuikChip is worth the investment—makes to a quick/clean job of connector removal.

when all of my parts arrive I'll post a complete install tutorial in a new thread.
    Fingers crossed.

Many thanks!

UPDATE: After some digging, I found the part for those wanting to make their own removable USB D±/3.3V cable. (photo below shows my V3.0 adapter card with the 2pin connector removed and a JST connector installed coupled with an 16" extension USB D±/3.3V cable and 21" BT antenna extension.)

JST connector
    wire housing: SHLP-06V-S-B
    shrouded header: SM06B-SHLS-TF
    contacts: SSHL-003T-P0.2

PDF: http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/pdf/eng/eSHL.pdf

Attached Files:

20. kkclstuff, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015

21. yifuhood macrumors member

company

I am trying to find out which company is making this kind adapters, the seller told me its from a taiwan company , since I speak Chinese , I will find out the company s name.

22. kkclstuff, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015

yifuhood, the white 4 pin female connector on the BACK of the adapter board "looks" like the same one I'm looking for.

UPDATE: found it! (for those who want to make their own removable USB D± and 3.3v cable)

JST connector model numbers
    contacts: SSHL-003T-P0.2 (these are crimp-type contacts)

23. IamDave macrumors regular

IamDave

Found this thread an interesting read but my mind is boggled now!

24. kkclstuff, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015

reversible upgrade successful!

My 21.5 iMac 2011 (EMC 2428) upgrade was a success and I could barely wait to post.

This mod retains:
    • Independent power for wifi and BT
    • Handoff/continuity features worked after reboot and sign-in to iCloud
    • No kext mod or CAT software. (BTW, I use CAT on my 2010 Mini and its great!)

Background: I wanted to be able to remove/reverse the process if needed. To do this I needed to build an extension cable to "tap into" the original BT card to get the both USB D± and 3.3V signals.

Parts: about $43US (all from eBay except the JST connectors)
    • Mini PCI-E Adapter for BCM94360CD/BCM94331CD
    • Apple Broadcom BCM94360CD card
    • U.FL IPX cable male to female terminal block cable 1.13 pigtail connector 60cm
    • SOIC adapter board, SO-8 SMT to 8-pin DIP (1mm pitch if you find it, 1.27mm pitch can work too)
    • Apple MacBook Pro A1260 Bluetooth Board W/Cable BCM92046MD (used to scavenge the connector or use optional JST connector below)
    • Optional: a sample set of JST connector model numbers:
      contacts: SSHL-003T-P0.2 (these are crimp-type contacts)

I started with the adapter removing the D± 2pin connector to add the JST connector. This was not necessary but I wanted to have some fun with it making a removable USB D±/3.3V extension cable.(*If I were unable to get the JST connectors or using a scavenged BT connector, I would not make the extension cable removable. I would have opted to solder it directly to the adapter card as others have done before and use the scavenged connector to plug into the original BT card cable.)

IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0018.JPG

One advantage of mounting the JST (or scavenged connector) to the adapter card is that SOME iMacs have a BT cable that can be purchased separately and use to patch directly to the adapter card:
    Unfortunately the 21.5 iMac 2011 is not one of them. The BT/iSight/and USB? are mated into one cable at the motherboard. (But FWIW, a scavenged cable AND BT card could be used for parts.)

After mounting the JST connector to the adapter card. I added the jumper for the 3.3V "R1" mount.

IMG_0033.JPG

Many have discussed about cutting the trace. I did not cut it with positive results:

After completing the adapter card, I mounted a JST connector (or scavenged BT connector) on the PCB card to create an 16" extension cable. **Line up the 2nd pin of the connector to match the original BT card. NOTE: the 1st pin is empty.

6 N/A for extension (ground)
    5 N/A for extension (ground)
    4 D+
    3 D–
    2 3.3V
    1 *empty*

IMG_0007.JPG

(continued in next post)