Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I'd rather spend the extra to buy a Windows PC that CAN be upgraded.

Also, it wouldn't have an integrated monitor either.. if the display fails on the iMac, everything has to be returned.

There's very little you can do on a Mac than you can't do on Windows AND vice-versa. The difference is minimal.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Exactly. And I just thought of something else along those lines.

Wanna know what companies spend the most on? Talent.

Let's say the company drops a $5,000 iMac Pro on Jim's desk. And he's to use it for the next three years... which would work out to $1,667 per year.

But Jim's salary is $50,000 a year... which would be $150,000 for those three years.

So the company is paying A LOT more for Jim himself rather than the computer he's using. :)

Suddenly... equipment cost doesn't sound so bad!

Any company would be thrilled to reduce the cost of each employee by 2% by using less expensive computers.

Unfortunately a lot of larger companies take this approach even when a higher-end machine is truly needed.

ACST

Suspended
Sep 5, 2016
how about people at companies like Pixar who have to do heavy-computing every day? is this machine for them?

Maybe some of them who are using photoshop (or whatever they're using), but I think the heavy users who do the actual rendering and **** are using some supercomputer shared **** and they also need even better monitors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peperino

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2016
Fairly priced??? buahahaha...

Lack of upgradeability....If we are paying $5000 for an entry level PRO machine you should be able to upgrade the HD at the very least.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
A Boeing 787 Dreamliner is fairly priced at $120,000,000 but I don't think I'll be getting one any time soon.
There are varvious version of the 787 that can run up to $690,000,000 depending on options and such! I think you talking about the base price 787 with no options!
[doublepost=1513095297][/doublepost]I going wait for the real deal the Mac Pro in 2018! This is iMac Pro is a little brother! For double the price; you get the real deal!

ACST

Suspended
Sep 5, 2016
Fairly priced??? buahahaha...

Lack of upgradeability....If we are paying $5000 for an entry level PRO machine you should be able to upgrade the HD at the very least.

lololol, you obviously have no clue if you think they're using internal storage for anything else than a scratch disk. That's where the thunderbolt 3 ports and the 10 gigabit port are for...

And the fairly priced is compared to competing systems and self-builds with similar specs.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
This is a product in search of a market. The performance differences between fully loaded regular imac and one of these for 99% of what people do will be negligible and in some cases the raw speed of the regular maxed imac will beat it. This is a very niche segment of the market for people doing high end rendering that need more than 4 cores and are willing to pay for it and don't care about upgrade ability. Aside from that, it makes no sense to me unless you just like to waste money. The rumored mac pro modular however is possibly a whole different ball game.

Reactions: Stella

va1984

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
Nah, it's an iMac Pro. Can the user really upgrade anything in the MacBook Pro?
Why don’t people understand that Pro is just a marketing term for Apple? This is an iMac (call it, the “all in one”) and it was never in its spirit to be fully upgradable. The Mac Pro (call it, the “desktop tower computer”) is coming. It will be upgradable.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
My big question is.. why the heck of this guy can get a early peek on this machine... and his review just like crap IMO .. did he review on anything about the iMac Pro??! I don't think so

If you're talking about Marques: First week impressions. He tends to do those kind of initial reviews first before digging in deep. His full comprehensive review will come. He mentioned some of the plusses he's seen in using this for a week editing with Final Cut Pro. He's also being realistic in the review for those who do not follow Apple's events or press releases: Not everyone will need/want an iMac Pro. And the lack of upgradability will turn some pros off.

I want one; do not need it yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.