Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
I am so tempted to get this $1000 off machine. I just don't know if the Vega 56 can play game well.

flimpy

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2015
Why Apple is discounting them is likely to push adoption to all those who really want or need something like this before the Mac Pro comes out, so the markets are aligned properly.

Maybe so, At first I thought about waiting for iMac Pro, but the thing is... I built a gaming-workstation type of PC for ~$6k (it is a 4 years old 6-core i7-3690x, 32 GB RAM, Moncaso case, upgraded with Titan X recently) and I barely used it. I realized that a 4 year old iMac was used much-much more frequently in my family than that super awesome PC that I always wanted to build. I then realized that it would not matter to me how awesome the iMac Pro would be, I just do not want to have extra cables and separate tower or whatever it would be... This is when I pulled the trigger on iMac Pro. I think decent amount of people will choose a pro mac in an all in one body over the modular one just for the sake of aesthetics.

I am so tempted to get this $1000 off machine. I just don't know if the Vega 56 can play game well.

That crossed my mind too, but I thought that the $1,000 I saved on base iMP model + $600 saved on not upgrading to Vega 64 can later on be spent on eGPU with something much more powerful for gaming than Vega 64.

Reactions: anticipate

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
zarf wrote:
"I costed buying one of these from micocenter, having it shipped to one of those forwarder companies in the USA..."

This won't work, because the $1,000 off deal applies ONLY to customers who physically walk into the store, buy the iMac Pro at checkout, and "carry it out".

No "mail or internet" orders and NO shipping.

Reactions: fathergll

zarf2007

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
London, UK
zarf wrote:
"I costed buying one of these from micocenter, having it shipped to one of those forwarder companies in the USA..."

This won't work, because the $1,000 off deal applies ONLY to customers who physically walk into the store, buy the iMac Pro at checkout, and "carry it out".

No "mail or internet" orders and NO shipping.

How come it’s on their website then?

BurgDog

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
How come it’s on their website then?
Because that is how they tell people what they have available to sell and how many are currently in stock. They make it quite clear on their web store it is in-store pickup only. The restrictions on the sale is likely why Apple is letting them do the sale at that price. Great for those of us within a few hours drive of one of their 25 stores, to bad for anyone else who wants the deal unless you can get a friend who is close to buy one for you. They only allow one per family too though so your friend can't buy one for himself.

Last edited:

flimpy

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2015
Because that is how they tell people what they have available to sell and how many are currently in stock. They make it quite clear on their web store it is in-store pickup only. The restrictions on the sale is likely why Apple is letting them do the sale at that price. Great for those of us within a few hours drive of one of their 25 stores, to bad for anyone else who wants the deal unless you can get a friend who is close to buy one for you. They only allow one per family too though so your friend can't buy one for himself.

All true. All these restrictions just prove that the whole point of this deal is not to get rid of an unwanted stock of the base iMac Pro, but to create a buzz to make the Micro Center's brand more recognizable.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"All these restrictions just prove that the whole point of this deal is not to get rid of an unwanted stock of the base iMac Pro, but to create a buzz to make the Micro Center's brand more recognizable."

That's called "a loss leader".
And I wouldn't be surprised if MicroCenter is -still- making a little profit from each sale, even with $1,000 off ...

Reactions: Shaggymax

jalyst

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2009
Grrr I stopped getting emails for this thread, still sub'd but stopped getting them, checked spam filtering but can't see a prob. there in gmail, fresh post to ensure I start getting them again! ...

BurgDog

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
All true. All these restrictions just prove that the whole point of this deal is not to get rid of an unwanted stock of the base iMac Pro, but to create a buzz to make the Micro Center's brand more recognizable.
It may be a way of doing both and benefits both Micro Center and Apple while not devaluing the product itself due to the restrictions. Micro Center likely got a deal of some sort buying say 500 units from Apple likely at the normal quantity wholesale price for what they bought but maybe with some sort of incentive on other Apple stuff so they net a profit and Apple gets rid of excessive inventory after Apple discovers that what people are really buying are the sweet spot 10 core Vega 64 options and not buying as many base units as they initially stocked up for.

It also got me into a store I never would have visited before, gave them a chance sell me other stuff, and in generally made me more likely to go there again. I bought something I really like for a great price. Win for everyone.

Last edited:

jalyst

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2009
1)
Is this deal still going, how long do you folks reckon it'll last for?
Originally it was meant to be "limited", yet it kicked-on a lot longer than initially claimed.

2)
Maybe there's some even better deals in the US now, or is this still the best by far?

Def. going to get an iMac Pro, but it may be as late as June/July.
By that time there might be some great deals in Oz too...
Else I'll likely continue with the plan to mail-forward from the US.

zarf2007

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
London, UK
for UK buyers there are definitely some deals on ebay to be had. Just bagged a base model imac pro with applecare extended warranty for just under £4k delivered.

There are some on for £4100-£4400 but some are collect only, one for £4300 is from a reputable mac dealer based in london so a lot better than JL or Apple prices and as the warranty is with apple anyway who cares if you buy for less from a reputable 3rd party.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Reserved one and picked up. Nice deal for $4200 out the door. Charged to my Amex Platinum card so I will get an additional year of service protection no extra cash.

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
for UK buyers there are definitely some deals on ebay to be had. Just bagged a base model imac pro with applecare extended warranty for just under £4k delivered.

There are some on for £4100-£4400 but some are collect only, one for £4300 is from a reputable mac dealer based in london so a lot better than JL or Apple prices and as the warranty is with apple anyway who cares if you buy for less from a reputable 3rd party.

Any links?

iMacDonald

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2016

Not sure I trust random eBay sellers with 4 grand.
Also don't you need proof of purchase to activate AppleCare?

I've seen weird things on eBay regarding iMac Pro.
People listing for £3500, then going up to £3750 because lack of bids I assume (people don't understand you get far more interest starting auctions with 0.01 and let it go up naturally), then the whole auction was removed.
There was someone put up two for £3888.88. Also gone and not sold. It even came up as a sponsored ad when I was looking. Strange.
Many listings look crap and don't actually show the box. Bad description or strange inconsistent rules no Paypal payment allowed but it does have it in the payment options etc.

If I can make a nice eBay listing for a £100 monitor I don't see why people selling a £4K+ machine cannot.

There are a few genuine ones I'm sure. One at £4400 right now I believe.

It reminds me of the eBay cowboy days around 2003 when the Power Mac G5 tower came out. Tons of dodgy listings back then all wanting payment via Western Union. Yeah good luck claiming that back when no Mac shows up.

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK

People listing for £3500, then going up to £3750 because lack of bids I assume (people don't understand you get far more interest starting auctions with 0.01 and let it go up naturally), then the whole auction was removed.
There was someone put up two for £3888.88. Also gone and not sold. It even came up as a sponsored ad when I was looking. Strange.
Many listings look crap and don't actually show the box. Bad description or strange inconsistent rules no Paypal payment allowed but it does have it in the payment options etc.

If I can make a nice eBay listing for a £100 monitor I don't see why people selling a £4K+ machine cannot.

It reminds me of the eBay cowboy days around 2003 when the Power Mac G5 tower came out. Tons of dodgy listings back then all wanting payment via Western Union. Yeah good luck claiming that back when no Mac shows up.

Have to agree I haven't seen anything worth looking at on eBay and similar dont trust them.

Reactions: iMacDonald

zarf2007

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
London, UK

Its not rocket science, just make sure they accept paypal and have a verified address and also pay through a credit card attached to that paypal account for double protection. Paypal/ebay always sides with the buyer in any dispute and your covered for up to 180 days from purchase. Make sure goods can be shipped with a trackable service and avoid cash on collection deals as it negates pp/cc protection and there is a risk of being robbed.

If the goods turn out to be stolen then this will be discovered the minute its registered online and is fully covered with buyer protection. Just make sure the sellers feedback is positive and 100+
[doublepost=1519646449][/doublepost]
Any links?
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Apple-...919749&hash=item4b38e35ecc:g:RYcAAOSwL9pahZSp

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013

I've bought my iMP for £4500 on ebay. Had it sent all the way to Croatia. It came in mint condition, unopened box, as listed. I purchase a lot of my gear via ebay, since it costs way cheaper then in Croatia, and there are a lot of stuff I simply can't even buy in Croatia, so ebay is my only option.

For me, everything worked out like a charm. Writing this post on a iMP.
Just always use PayPal, and there won't be any problems :)

zarf2007

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
London, UK

yep, and a PayPal receipt is enough for that. I have even transferred AppleCare when I sold my old iMac from myself to the new owner and the receipt was from PayPal for AppleCare purchased on eBay. as long as you buy the sealed physical package AppleCare (not dodgy codes) there is no issue.....

sputnikBA

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018

It’s people pming each other and conducting the transaction offline so the seller doesn’t have to pay Ebay’s fees.

It’s a lot riskier for both sides, but its financially better for sellers, while buyers can also make lower offers because Ebay isn’t getting its middleman percentages.

Last edited:

zarf2007

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
London, UK
I've bought my iMP for £4500 on ebay. Had it sent all the way to Croatia. It came in mint condition, unopened box, as listed. I purchase a lot of my gear via ebay, since it costs way cheaper then in Croatia, and there are a lot of stuff I simply can't even buy in Croatia, so ebay is my only option.

For me, everything worked out like a charm. Writing this post on a iMP.
Just always use PayPal, and there won't be any problems :)

tbh a lot of the deals I see on eBay are from business sellers so I wonder if there is some kind of VAT scam going on....doesnt matter if there is, its the seller committing the fraud so HMRC will come after them....in the meantime we can get up 1K off goods :)

It also got me into a store I never would have visited before, gave them a chance sell me other stuff, and in generally made me more likely to go there again. I bought something I really like for a great price. Win for everyone.

Absolutely. I live a few hours from Dallas, but this price motivated us to load up the kids and make a weekend of it. Staff was great and the stock and pricing were impressive. Got a fantastic new system and a mini vacation for less money than if I'd gone the Apple store.

Reactions: baypharm

Shaggymax

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2013
Lanc, Penn USA
It may be a way of doing both and benefits both Micro Center and Apple while not devaluing the product itself due to the restrictions. Micro Center likely got a deal of some sort buying say 500 units from Apple likely at the normal quantity wholesale price for what they bought but maybe with some sort of incentive on other Apple stuff so they net a profit and Apple gets rid of excessive inventory after Apple discovers that what people are really buying are the sweet spot 10 core Vega 64 options and not buying as many base units as they initially stocked up for.

This makes total sense since MC is only offering the base config.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.