Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
At time of purchase, I got a $1 pre-auth charge on my credit card. This morning at 3am, I got a purchase notification for the full amount. It shows as a pending transaction on the credit card site but it looks like some movement might be happening.

It could just be a pending charge which will drop off and then reappear when it does ship.

Reactions: RuffDraft

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
Our iPhone X's were charged $1, then a pending amount for the full amount which dropped off, and then the full amount again when they actually shipped.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
Apple apparently charged me yesterday for my purchase last week...this is the 1-2 week custom build as well. AMEX apparently just doesn't reflect it in the balance until after it clears. Hopefully it moves to shipping soon.

Friend Trend

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
Adding my datapoint to the thread.

Ordered December 15th. Showing a delivery date of January 3 - January 8 to Canada.

Ordered the base 8-Core, 32GB, 1TB, 8GB video, Magic Mouse + Trackpad (will probably sell the Trackpad on eBay).

$1 authorization hit my card when I ordered, and the full purchase price got authorized this morning.

Configuration is TOTAL overkill for my needs (light XCode programming, occasional transcoding of video, surfing), but I needed to replace my existing iMac, and I just got a bonus from work that was burning a hole in my pocket. My philosophy is to buy the best machine you can afford today, and it will hopefully last a looooong time (and even if I don't use 99% of the power that this machine can provide, it gives me pleasure knowing the power is there - and that pleasure alone is money well spent right there!). Plus the space gray is HOT!

Last edited:

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
So nobody has this week shipment?
Not yet. The first ones to ship should be the ones pre-configued as they had an earlier ship date & not 1-2 weeks. 1-2 week’s should be next, & that’s what I’m in. I’m likely one of the earlier in that category.

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
I was seriously, late last night, considering changing my order from one of the standard options (8c/64Gb/1TB/Vega64) to some other BTO option, either 10c or 2TB or both, and giving up Vega64 in the process. I held off, didn't want to make a late night decision without thinking more about it.

Today my order switched to "Preparing to Ship". So no changes allowed.

I'm good with my original order. In fact, I'm stoked it's about to ship and I should have it just after Christmas.

Bradleyone

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I was seriously, late last night, considering changing ... to some other BTO option, either 10c or 2TB or both, and giving up Vega64 in the process. I held off, didn't want to make a late night decision without thinking more about it.

Today my order switched to "Preparing to Ship". So no changes allowed.

Does this mean you can change order configuration before that stage, without losing your place in the queue?

I'd also thought of changing slightly from a 1TB to a 2TB.

In all my years of ordering CTO, I'd assumed that doing that would put you back at the end of the queue, as if the order was started afresh.

Is that notion wrong?

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
Does this mean you can change order configuration before that stage, without losing your place in the queue?

I'd also thought of changing slightly from a 1TB to a 2TB.

In all my years of ordering CTO, I'd assumed that doing that would put you back at the end of the queue, as if the order was started afresh.

Is that notion wrong?

It will reset you. I considered it but confirmed. As soon as you are order in progress, changing is possible but will reset you. So the standard configs are now shipping, not customs yet.

Bradleyone

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Bplein has a custom (base + Vega64), and his is shipping.

But are there actually standard vs. custom configs with this?

When I open the Apple Store app and navigate to iMac Pro, the only button available says "Configure." This is unlike, say, a regular iMac where there is a definite 'Select' then 'Add to bag' procedure.

Are we just assuming that the $4999 base model is a standard, off-the-shelf model, and that any changes to the base make it a config? Is it possible that all orders are treated as BTO, that is, no pre-assembled configs?

I guess the $4999 model is what will show up in retail stores, however.

Also, when are they likely to show up in stores? Any day now?

Last edited:

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
Bplein has a custom (base + Vega64), and his is shipping.

My order is a standard config, it's the one just under the entry level config (under in spatial terms, one step "up" in price).

At least that's how i interpreted this. If you ordered one of the 5 recommended configurations that morning when the store opened up, they all had shipping dates like mine. If you went OFF the recommended configuration list, then the time to ship was longer. So I believe that all those "recommended" options are standard builds and the rest would be considered BTO.

At the very least they pre-built a large quantity of those 5 configurations.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-12-18 16.20.51.png
    Screenshot 2017-12-18 16.20.51.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 172

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
My order is a standard config, it's the one just under the entry level config (under in spatial terms, one step "up" in price).

At least that's how i interpreted this. If you ordered one of the 5 recommended configurations that morning when the store opened up, they all had shipping dates like mine. If you went OFF the recommended configuration list, then the time to ship was longer. So I believe that all those "recommended" options are standard builds and the rest would be considered BTO.

At the very least they pre-built a large quantity of those 5 configurations.
So your vega 64 was default....thats what I thought I remembered. I just checked, its still there & shows an earlier delivery date. We just cant get the trackpad with it. Those will likely be what we see in store.

Last edited:

crw

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
It could just be a pending charge which will drop off and then reappear when it does ship.

Looks like I got my hopes up with my credit card charge notification a couple of days ago. I am still in "Order in Progress" status. My shipping estimate was 1-2 weeks and I was getting my hopes up that they might beat that.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
Looks like I got my hopes up with my credit card charge notification a couple of days ago. I am still in "Order in Progress" status. My shipping estimate was 1-2 weeks and I was getting my hopes up that they might beat that.

I'm in the same boat as you. It's odd that they would charge it almost a week after the order, so maybe it's a batch process. I don't know, honestly. The standard configs have shipped; we should be next.

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
I'm in the same boat as you. It's odd that they would charge it almost a week after the order, so maybe it's a batch process. I don't know, honestly. The standard configs have shipped; we should be next.

I have not seen any reports that standard configurations have shipped. I think we have delivers 12/27 or 12/28 with 2 to 3 business days delivery service.
If they would have already shipped they would arrive before Christmas.
I am in Preparing for Shipment since two days.

For the US the only difference between 12/27 and ships in 1 to 2 weeks was the trackpad independent of standard or non standard configuration.
Since I am off work for 5 days starting 12/28 I dropped the trackpad.

maxq

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2014
Basingstoke, UK
It's odd that they would charge it almost a week after the order, so maybe it's a batch process. I don't know, honestly.
ISTR similar things happening when we were all biting our fingernails waiting for the trash cans (seems a long time ago now!). Some people had everything make sense about when their card was charged, when it actually shipped, etc, while for others it seemed to be a bit chaotic with charges at strange times, shipments taking odd routes including doubling back and heading the wrong way for a while. No doubt there is some logic to it - at least you'd hope so...!
:)

No changes at all on my order yet but it's not due till early January (the iMac Pro, not the trash can - that did eventually turn up in 2013 and luckily my delivery went exactly as expected, fingers crossed it's the same this time around).

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali

we have the same thing in California. We pay recycle fee, but if we take it to the recycle center & turn it in, we get it back. Every bottle, glass, & can has a recycle fee on it...same as what you see on them printed as vault. That's the fee we have to pay at the register. Recycle centers here actually don't accept returns so we lose out on that & it's just become another tax.

Bradleyone

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Probably "Preparing to ship" now means they're ready, but will be delivered Dec 27, which seems to be some sort of embargo date. (It's probably also when reviews will go up.)

They might even have been able to assemble some of the non-Recommended Configurations in that time too.

the trash can - that did eventually turn up in 2013 and luckily my delivery went exactly as expected, fingers crossed it's the same this time around)

You were lucky: I was watching it go live on Dec 19, 2013 (in Australia) and even though it was a comfortable 6 or 7 pm locally, I was dithering around deciding on core count, D500 or D700, etc, and didn't place an order for a few hours.

By that time, the est. delivery date had hit the end of February. After giving it a few weeks, I eventually gave up waiting, canceled, and built a hackintosh. :oops:

(Which I survived with through Mavericks and driver update hell - still have nightmares about getting 4K 60Hz to work - then relented and bought a fully loaded 8c Mac Pro anyway.)

NOW of course I have a complete "beat the rush" system worked out, consisting of site-primed Mac, iPhone with iOS Apple Store app, and a VPN on hand in case Apple's CDN starts playing favourites with who they give early access to (a la iPhone X). Got my iMac Pro ordered by 2 mins past release this time.

The pain of missing that Mac Pro 2013 order cut deep!

Last edited:

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
we have the same thing in California. We pay recycle fee, but if we take it to the recycle center & turn it in, we get it back. Every bottle, glass, & can has a recycle fee on it...same as what you see on them printed as vault. That's the fee we have to pay at the register. Recycle centers here actually don't accept returns so we lose out on that & it's just become another tax.
I thought our taxes in Chicago and Illinois were bad...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.