iMac Pro Orders Begin Shipping to Customers

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A week after the iMac Pro became available to purchase from Apple's online store, the first orders are beginning to ship to customers.

[​IMG]

A handful of MacRumors readers in our iMac Pro order tracking discussion topic have confirmed that their orders have shipped in the United States and Canada, while at least one order in the United Kingdom is still preparing for dispatch.

Many of the orders that have shipped are estimated for delivery in the last week of December or the first week of January.

Apple still lists the iMac Pro as unavailable for pickup on its website, despite saying that the computer would be available at its retail stores by mid this week. There's still a few days left in the week, so we'll see if that changes soon.

At $4,999 and up, the iMac Pro is an expensive workstation aimed at professional users with the most demanding of workflows, such as advanced video and graphics editing, virtual reality content creation, and real-time 3D rendering.

At least one MacRumors reader claims to have ordered a 10-core model that costs $7,999, over four times as much as a regular, base model 27-inch iMac.

iMac Pro orders placed today ship in an estimated 1-2 weeks for 8-core and 10-core models, and an estimated 6-8 weeks for 14-core and 18-core models, with prices topping out at $13,199 for the highest end hardware available.

Article Link: iMac Pro Orders Begin Shipping to Customers

2. jakeowens macrumors member

Mine is still Preparing to ship in Canada. So stoked!!!!

3. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

Will you buy me one too? :p

4. MH01 Suspended

MH01

5. jakeowens macrumors member

hahaha. Ask my boss... that's where mine is coming from :)

6. macsba macrumors 6502

7. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

8. SecuritySteve macrumors 6502

SecuritySteve

I ordered an 18 core variant. No word yet. I'll check back periodically throughout the day.

9. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Why check periodically through the day? The 18 core has a 6-8 week delivery time.

10. SecuritySteve macrumors 6502

SecuritySteve

We were told when we ordered it at the Apple Store that the official story was 6-8 weeks, but for business orders the time can be as low as 2 weeks. We shall see though.

11. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

They probably don't have one yet given online orders are just beginning to ship + lack of in-store availability so far.

12. ThaRuler macrumors regular

ThaRuler

13. SecuritySteve macrumors 6502

SecuritySteve

That will cost extra.

14. joueboy macrumors 65816

I topped out all the features I need for only $13k for an iMac. Not!

15. Aftershok macrumors newbie

Apple’s email says mine will arrive on December 28th, but the UPS website says the 26th. For once, I HOPE Apple is wrong!

16. alphaswift macrumors regular

Good article idea: What’s the best car you can buy for the the cost of a loaded iMac Pro.

17. 06tb06 macrumors regular

06tb06

You might want to upgrade to the 18-core variant if you plan on using Word, anything less would be insufficient. Going to college will require you to write long papers. More cores = longer papers.

18. From0toHero macrumors regular

From0toHero

And guess he will need 10 terra ssd to save his doc files to.

19. skippermonkey macrumors member

Man I'm SO on the cusp of ordering a 10-core model. I need some real world reviews/benchmarks...

20. RichTeer macrumors member

RichTeer

Why would you want to use Word (proprietary, $$$)? You can use Pages (proprietary, $0) that comes with a Mac, or better, LibreOffice (open standards, open sourced, cross-platform, $0).

21. macsba macrumors 6502

I suspect at the earliest that late next week that iFixit will have the teardown.

22. Appurushido macrumors regular

Once surgery is completed and my kidney is sold off, I will be able to purchase this bad boy!

23. nt5672 macrumors 68000

I really hope the iMac pro does not turn out to be another turd, but I expect disappointment. I don't really think Apple has solved the heat issues. Most major users will be continuously throttling back to 2 GHZ, 2 core because that is what Apple knows how to design in all of their other products. :rolleyes:

I know they did make this a throwaway device, just like the iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, etc. Not sure I can justify $13k for a throwaway device, but it is only 13 times more expensive than an iPhone X so maybe its the better deal.

24. DaveOP macrumors 65816

Chances are, as a student, one could purchase a license for $10 and avoid the formatting headaches when trying to save as or convert to a word doc. That said, I am guessing that anyone asking if an iMac Pro can run Word is probably trolling, but I could be wrong :)

25. Christoffee macrumors 6502

Christoffee

Ha ha! Hilarious!:D:D:D