Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A week after the iMac Pro became available to purchase from Apple's online store, the first orders are beginning to ship to customers.

imac-pro-rear.jpg

A handful of MacRumors readers in our iMac Pro order tracking discussion topic have confirmed that their orders have shipped in the United States and Canada, while at least one order in the United Kingdom is still preparing for dispatch.

Many of the orders that have shipped are estimated for delivery in the last week of December or the first week of January.

Apple still lists the iMac Pro as unavailable for pickup on its website, despite saying that the computer would be available at its retail stores by mid this week. There's still a few days left in the week, so we'll see if that changes soon.

At $4,999 and up, the iMac Pro is an expensive workstation aimed at professional users with the most demanding of workflows, such as advanced video and graphics editing, virtual reality content creation, and real-time 3D rendering.

At least one MacRumors reader claims to have ordered a 10-core model that costs $7,999, over four times as much as a regular, base model 27-inch iMac.

iMac Pro orders placed today ship in an estimated 1-2 weeks for 8-core and 10-core models, and an estimated 6-8 weeks for 14-core and 18-core models, with prices topping out at $13,199 for the highest end hardware available.

Article Link: iMac Pro Orders Begin Shipping to Customers

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I really hope the iMac pro does not turn out to be another turd, but I expect disappointment. I don't really think Apple has solved the heat issues. Most major users will be continuously throttling back to 2 GHZ, 2 core because that is what Apple knows how to design in all of their other products. :rolleyes:

I know they did make this a throwaway device, just like the iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, etc. Not sure I can justify $13k for a throwaway device, but it is only 13 times more expensive than an iPhone X so maybe its the better deal.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Why would you want to use Word (proprietary, $$$)? You can use Pages (proprietary, $0) that comes with a Mac, or better, LibreOffice (open standards, open sourced, cross-platform, $0).
Chances are, as a student, one could purchase a license for $10 and avoid the formatting headaches when trying to save as or convert to a word doc. That said, I am guessing that anyone asking if an iMac Pro can run Word is probably trolling, but I could be wrong :)

Reactions: blake2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.