iMac Pro Orders Begin Shipping to Customers

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2017.

1. H.E. Pennypacker macrumors regular

H.E. Pennypacker

How well will Wolfenstine 3D run on this. I’m a hardcore gamer and I am hoping to get at least 30fps with this new rig. Especially when I drop $10k. Can someone please confirm. Thanks in advance.

2. fbglima macrumors newbie

Our 18-core config updated for 'Jan 9 - Jan 10' estimated delivery!

Attached Files:

3. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

Depends how important compatible office documents are to you.
    Pages is nice to look at but let’s face it. For now, big business uses M$ Office.

Also Pages is NOT free. It’s rolled into the cost of the Mac you have bought, or the one you are about to.

4. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

In some countries you can buy a house for $13,199.

In some countries you barely make $13,199 in a lifetime.

In some countries $13,199 will make a difference in between life and dead.

...... nice gear though.

5. AxiomaticRubric macrumors 6502

AxiomaticRubric

Fixed! :cool:

6. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Why this obsession with the “fully loaded $13000 iMac Pro? The configuration most people will buy is the 10 core.

Also: with that money you can buy a very modest car, or the best workstation available.

7. Miss_Mac macrumors member

Miss_Mac

8. coolkid93 macrumors member

coolkid93

Ordered my 10 core! So stoked and excited for it to come.

9. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

If he majors in geoscience or glaciology, his success is going to depend on the length of the cores.

10. phatblat macrumors newbie

phatblat

The ETA on my 18-core just updated to arriving Jan 8-9. Ordered on 12/15 and original Eta was mid Feb.

11. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I am surprised SSD storage are still high today. Just seeing the prices drift slowly less each year.
    For example, I owned a $1,200 SCSI drive that was 80 MB (Yes, Megabyte) drive in the 1980s.

12. phatblat macrumors newbie

phatblat

Aaaand today I get an email from Apple saying "Please disregard the previous email we sent." :(

13. tillsbury macrumors 65816

That would have been very late in the 80s! The first hard drive I sold was a 6Mb one for GBP6000 (that's US$24k now), mid-80s.

The thing to remember with the SSD storage on the imac pro is the speed of it. It's nothing like your average discount SSD volume you can pick up...

14. andycarver macrumors member

andycarver

Not to open word files though. Although if you are opening many word files pages willl manage the memory better and allow to open many many more. If you need to open many many MANY more then consider upgrading the RAM.

15. TGB macrumors newbie

TGB

My iMac Pro 10core, 128GB RAM, 4TB SSD with Radeon Pro Vega 64 had estimated delivery moved from 5-9 January to 9-15 January. Now expected delivery is set to 29. December and got shipped earlier today :)

16. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Either 1988 or 1989. Yeah the speed of the SSDs are way faster than the mainstream stuff that is out there. It makes sense the price would reflect that large of an improvement.

17. groovyd macrumors 65816

groovyd

lol... LibreOffice has trouble just rendering text let alone doing any convincing work with. YMMV of course but every time I have tried it on any platform it basically s*cks.

18. BayouTiger macrumors 6502

BayouTiger

My office has a bunch of folks that do very simple correspondence and lists. When I tried to introduce StarOffice to them I was close to full on mutiny. People that don't know any better are very hard to move off their comfort zone.

We ended up ditching our Kerio mail server and moved to Office365 across the board and the subscription on the business side is very hard to beat. Full Office Suite, Unlimited hosted e-mail, unlimited OneDrive, and more for about $15/month per head is incredibly good value.

For an individual its still pretty good, but maybe not quite as compelling.

19. bill001 macrumors newbie

Well if you connected 13 iphone X's into a parallel computer you might have something!

20. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

I've tried Open office and Neo Office and iWork. M$ Office is the one you really need. In fact now that I'm self employed it is so important that I can get work done that I have both the Windows, (Parallels 13), and Mac versions.

If Microsoft are sensible they will preserve this lead they have here.

21. The_Captain, Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2017

The_Captain macrumors newbie

The_Captain

My 10-core, 128 gig, 2TB, Vega 64 was scheduled for delivery today but actually arrived two days ago. Couldn't get the GeekBench scores reported here previously, "only" managed 4948 single core and 35482 multi-core. The power plug that connects to the Mac is oddly cheap plastic. Aside from that, the machine is beautiful and brilliant.

22. TGB macrumors newbie

TGB

Since it is a new computer, maybe some indexing is going on in the background of macOS? Try to check if there are any system-processes running in the background (and close all other applications running before running geekbench).

23. TGB macrumors newbie

TGB

24. SouthMountain macrumors newbie

Will Apple sell the Space Grey; Mouse, Keyboard, & TrackPad separately ?? That'd be a must-have purchase!!

25. TGB macrumors newbie

TGB

They must do this at one point; else how would all of us that bought the iMac Pro get a hold of a new one in case we loose or break some of these items?