iMac redesign in late 2012

Discussion in 'iMac' started by oiuh151, Nov 2, 2011.

1. oiuh151 macrumors 6502

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20111102PD226.html

So it appears that the iMac will be given a redesign next year, which isn't unlikely considering the current design has been around since late 2009.

What do you want changed from the current iMac? New screen sizes? Types of design?

I think the current design is great but they should remove the optical drive if it will allow for desktop GPU's. That's my only complaint with the current line of iMacs.

2. TrollToddington macrumors 6502

Different screen sizes maybe. I am perfectly satisfied by the current design - I think it's awesome.

I guess if they omit the DVD drive we can hope for a price decrease.

3. Kenjhee macrumors regular

Mainly a mid-sized screen. 21.5" = too small. 27" = too big. 24-25" = juuuuusst right.

4. NZPilgrim macrumors newbie

One thing I would like to see (I know it runs contrary to the Apple way of thinking so I'm not holding my breath) is for the RAM panel underneath the system to be widened and a slot for an SSD drive to be placed in beside the RAM slots.

That way if you want an SSD upgrade it's a user operation to install it without having to pull everything to pieces, potentially voiding your warranty in the process. Or paying a massive premium and getting Apple to install one at purchase.

I can dream :)

5. lamboman macrumors 6502

Omitting the DVD drive won't make a difference, they hardly cost anything.

As for redesigns...possible, but right now I'm 50/50 on whether they will refresh it. In terms of design, it isn't needed...unlike the older plastic designs of the early Intel/G5 iMacs, the designs of the aluminium generations hold up for far longer.

6. leman macrumors 604

My wish-list:

1. Drop DVD

use the freed up space to add:

2. User-upgradeable HDD/SSD
    3. Desktop-class GPUs

Although, what I'd really like to see is a resurrected Apple Cube with
    upgradeable HDD/RAM/GPU which would be slightly more expensive than MacMini. That would be great.

7. EricT43 macrumors regular

+1

I got the 27" iMac, but what I really wanted was something more than the Mini and less than the Pro.

8. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

User upgradeable SSD... would be amazing. Never gonna happen though. :eek:

9. danny_w macrumors 601

My thought exactly. I currently have a 24" and wouldn't want anything bigger than that, but the 21.5" just seems like too much of a downgrade from what I currently have. Making it so that it is easier to upgrade HDD/SD would also be very welcomed (every other AIO is easy to upgrade, why is iMac so difficult?).

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Price decrease?????? Not likely.

11. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

Things I'd like to see (much of which has already been mentioned)

1. Don't eliminate DVD - I need it! If anything, at least make it an option.
    2. Make Blueray an option
    3. Easier access to Hard Drive and SSD for self-upgrades
    4. Double the number of memory slots so people can upgrade to 32GB without spending a fortune on 8GM sticks.
    5. Screen - I'm fine with the current choices.
    6. Adjustable height (My 27" iMac fits on my rolltop, but I can't close the roll top. If I could lower the screen down about an inch, I could close my roll top).
    7. Include a nice soft-cloth slip-ove cover to keep the dust away when not in use.
    8. Include more cleaning cloths for cleaning the screen
    9. Bring back Front Row (just personal preference, but I kinda like FR)
    10. Bring back Rosetta support so people can still use pgms like Quicken

12. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

+1 looking at the 21.5" looks well small but it coming with the quad core i5 and the fact I have £1000 to spend on one I think it's pretty appealing.

As for the 27" some people have said about a screen real estate being to big and safari showing webssites so small on it

And I do agree, the 24" is 'juuuuuuuuust right :p

13. shadowshow macrumors newbie

matte screen... the only thing thats stopping me upgrading my aging imac is the horrible gloss screens of the current generation

~simon

14. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

The current design doesn't allow any maintenance of cooling fans and easy hard drive replacement. A new design with a removable rear panel would be nice

15. Darien Red Sox macrumors regular

----------

[/COLOR]
    Yes this would be nice, the first gen iMac G5 used to have this.

16. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I'd rather they just install a Macbook Air size SSD on the board that is used for OS/Applications, and your normal disk can either be an SSD for faster file access or a magnetic drive for more storage.

Something like 32 or 64GB should be plenty for the OS and user installed apps.

Also a 24" version would be nice at around $1200-1300 for the base model. The 1920x1080 resolution of the 21" is just a tad too small, and the 27" is a bit overkill for me.

USB3 would be nice as well. Thunderbolt is great but most people aren't going to buy a multi-disk RAID storage device that can actually use all of the bandwidth, and single drives won't be getting it as the required hardware would make them more expensive than a similar firewire/esata/usb3 device.

I'm still not a big fan of removing the optical drive though. If I buy an iMac it will be my primary desktop, and I would rather not have to add an external drive to the clutter on my desk when I already have a beautiful all in one device. On laptops, sure as it will make them bulkier, but this thing just sits on your desk 99.9% of the time.

17. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I hope it comes earlier than late 2012. I think the 27" screen is just fine.

18. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

i only ask that they make the screen so i can adjust the height.

i much prefer the adjustable screen height of my G4 to that of my plastic intel. (and or lastest models)

[​IMG]

19. anewman143 macrumors regular

anewman143

I like the 27" screen - wouldn't go bigger.

User serviceable back panel like the original flat panel iMac would be VERY nice - I'm not sure if I'm ready to dump the optical drive, but maybe make it optional...

What I'd really like is some kind of "iMac Pro"...which I know that Apple won't do since they don't like to muddy their product lines, but I'd like more processor oomph in an iMac form factor - Mac Pro is just way too much for me

My $0.02

20. old-wiz macrumors G3

I like the DVD drive so I can watch movies.
    Making the insides more accessible would be great.

21. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

Just a minor thing i was thinking about.
    How are the current iSight cam in the iMac and how would that be in comparison to the rear end iPhone 4S cam?
    would it be an upgrade, and would you care?

hope there will be a SSD for system, min 128GB
    A back side there can be taken off.

Biggest wish/hope Thunderbolt Blue ray Superdrive, and remove internal drive.

And of course a good spec bump, need a Graphic card for som minor gaming and editing.

22. danny_w macrumors 601

That's going to be one very pricey Bluray drive!

23. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

If anything the thing will be thinner, possibly lacking in a DVD drive, have USB3 ports (support built into Ivy Bridge processors due out around that time)

The other posts are asking for easier access to internals, and while i'd like that too id actually put money on it being even less user-servicable than the current models (if i had any money that is :eek: )

24. Chris5488 macrumors regular

The iSight in the current iMac is rubbish. HD they say? How can I know? Honestly the picture isn't sharp at all, you can compare it with the front-facing camera on an iPad 2 or iPhone 4(S).

The camera on the back of the iPhone 4S is way better, it's a remarkably camera. It would be a huge difference in image quality if it would be used as an iSight camera... but do you need it? Do you really need a 1080p iSight? I only used my iSight for fun, i don't really use it.

25. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

is just that i want the better isight, i use it once in a while (would loved to have a better cam in my mid 2010 MBP, since i use it at occasions)

Ofc that will be an expensive blue ray drive, but have you seen what the firewire blue ray drive from lacai http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10487
    So if I'm going to get an iMac i would love it to be Thunderbolt,that means i can run on all other new mac's to