Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retroworldnews

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2019
my current iMac is iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015) can charge iPhone 14 ?

I actually is a bit confuse come new iPhone what USB 2 etc stuffs.

Retroworldnews

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2019
Sure as any USB A or C outlet. just plug in USB to lightning cable.
Currently I using iMac to charge my iPhone 7+ so literally is the Same can use present cable to charge iPhone 14 as you mention? Partly currently I still can use my iPhone 7+ despite battery is aging so I browse around the latest iPhone it now only give you a USB cable which is USB C if I remember so this is why i asking :)

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Yes the old cable still works for all lightning devices: iphones, ipads, airpods…
Only charging speed on iMac will be slower with 5W.
The newer phones allow up to 20W. Thats why there is USB C.
U can find good power bricks e.g. from Anker way cheaper than Apples

Retroworldnews

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2019
Yes the old cable still works for all lightning devices: iphones, ipads, airpods…
Only charging speed on iMac will be slower with 5W.
The newer phones allow up to 20W. Thats why there is USB C.
U can find good power bricks e.g. from Anker way cheaper than Apples
Ok thanks for the info, nevertheless as mention, I using iMac is iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015) I saw there is just one " Thunder logo " on one port that is USB C?

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
No. Your iMac doesn’t have USB C. Apple introduced it a year later.

Don’t u have any other usb c device in your house? The chargers would also work for iphone. Nintendo switch, android phones or tablets…

Retroworldnews

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2019
No. Your iMac doesn’t have USB C. Apple introduced it a year later.

Don’t u have any other usb c device in your house? The chargers would also work for iphone. Nintendo switch, android phones or tablets…
Nope. I don't have. But well as you have mention the old cable still works is good .:) I can live with it as long can charge the new iphone if I plan to upgrade.

Side note, I notice now charging my iphone via my iMac. It will keep intermittence charging on and off, I have to find that " sweet spot " on the cable adjust around than charge.

I do swap with a new USB cable provided by Apple of course , at first I thought maybe cable fault but same problem. So not sure why.

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Well u could use also any old USB A charger instead of your iMac. Might come handy while on the road.

Or invest $20 in a charger while spending $1000 on a new phone;)

Since EU and India forces any mobile device to be USB C from 2024 u might come across new chargers soon anyway

Retroworldnews

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2019
Well u could use also any old USB A charger instead of your iMac. Might come handy while on the road.

Or invest $20 in a charger while spending $1000 on a new phone;)

Since EU and India forces any mobile device to be USB C from 2024 u might come across new chargers soon anyway
Oh thanks for the info, well sorry for asking too much since i never keep trend on latest iPhone. Since currently i using iPhone 7+ by default there is charger come with it. So I can use the charger with the old usb charge the latest iphone right ??? but of course take sometime to fully charge that is fine with me as long the phone can be charge.

last I read , now iPhone don't come with charger they only give that USB C cable.

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Oh thanks for the info, well sorry for asking too much since i never keep trend on latest iPhone. Since currently i using iPhone 7+ by default there is charger come with it. So I can use the charger with the old usb charge the latest iphone right ??? but of course take sometime to fully charge that is fine with me as long the phone can be charge.

Correct. As mentioned all old USB chargers work. Even other brands.

Can’t imagine u have only one charger in your house since like 20years this is the to go standard for all small things.
Toothbrush, camping LED lights, portable speakers…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.