Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How Much Memory Do I Need?

• Total voters

Ally77

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2017
What do you recommend for my specific needs - 8 or 16 GB of Memory?

I will mostly be using Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop. Not massive sized projects. I understand that the higher the GB of Memory, the easier it will be to have more than one program open. I may also use a somewhat simple video edit program like iMovie.

When I purchased my current (mid-2009 MBP), I also purchased Adobe CS4 and Final Cut Pro; Apple techs advised me then and my specs are: 2.8 GHz with 4 GB Memory - which is what I've been using. I never really used Final Cut Pro.

I've not used Adobe CC, so I don't know if it requires more, less, or the same amount of Memory. I may also give alternative software like Affinity Photo and/or Affinity Designer instead of Adobe CC (? TBD).

I'm not one that needs extra bells and whistles, but want to assure that I purchase adequately without overkill.

Also, my current MBP says I still have more than 256 GB storage available; I have not been able to tell what my total storage is. So, I've been trying to decided if the 256 SSD is sufficient for the 5 or so years I may be able to squeeze out of the new iMac? What do you recommend for storage?

I really get tripped up on the technical aspects of MACs (always have, not sure why), so I greatly appreciate hearing from others more experienced than me in this area. Thank you in advance!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I consider what a software dev "recommends" to actually be their minimum spec and all the software you listed recommends 8 gb.

While I'm sure 8 gb will be enough there will likely be times you can benefit from more especially while using those programs and multitasking.

SSD is highly recommended however I can't tell you what size. Judging by the programs you plan on using and a 5 year life span I would GUESS 512gb SSD minimum.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
What do you recommend for my specific needs - 8 or 16 GB of Memory?

I will mostly be using Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop. Not massive sized projects. I understand that the higher the GB of Memory, the easier it will be to have more than one program open. I may also use a somewhat simple video edit program like iMovie.

When I purchased my current (mid-2009 MBP), I also purchased Adobe CS4 and Final Cut Pro; Apple techs advised me then and my specs are: 2.8 GHz with 4 GB Memory - which is what I've been using. I never really used Final Cut Pro.

I've not used Adobe CC, so I don't know if it requires more, less, or the same amount of Memory. I may also give alternative software like Affinity Photo and/or Affinity Designer instead of Adobe CC (? TBD).

I'm not one that needs extra bells and whistles, but want to assure that I purchase adequately without overkill.

Also, my current MBP says I still have more than 256 GB storage available; I have not been able to tell what my total storage is. So, I've been trying to decided if the 256 SSD is sufficient for the 5 or so years I may be able to squeeze out of the new iMac? What do you recommend for storage?

I really get tripped up on the technical aspects of MACs (always have, not sure why), so I greatly appreciate hearing from others more experienced than me in this area. Thank you in advance!

I am assuming you are talking the 27 inch iMac?? You can upgrade the ram on this yourself it has a user accessible ram slot you can just add more ram whenever you like so get it with 8gb and add more when/if you need it.

I would recommend the 512gb ssd if you are thinking of loading all the software you mentioned. But it’s seems your needs are fairly modest so a 2TB fusion may well be a good fit for you.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
8GB sure good enough to keep the system alive. However, it depends if you want a more smooth experience.

This is how I interpret the situation. (This screen capture is with the latest 10.13.2, PS CC 2018)
Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 16.23.00.jpg

The OS required about 4GB of RAM to store the system data to keep the OS smooth. If your system unable to provide that. It will reduce the demand by caching only the most important stuff (to the OS, not to you), or put something into SWAP, with the cost of slowing down your operation.

And now, if you have 8GB of RAM, that mean you have about 4GB free RAM for applications. That's not much actually. Even though you never multi task (always fully shutdown one apps before open another one), this can still a bit limiting for those media editing apps. Photoshop's basic requirement is about 700MB (with one normal size image opened), but can use much more than that for caching. More free RAM for Photoshop usually can let it run much smoother. Testing shows that Photoshop can speed up quite linearly when RAM capacity increase. Of course, the return will diminish, but if we just talking about 16GB of RAM, that's still far from the saturated point.

For FCPX, it's more or less the same. Basic need only about 600MB. However, once start video editing, the RAM usage can go up significantly. In my own experience, it usually stay between 2.5-4GB memory consumption for simple short video editing, but can also go up to 8-10GB usage in some case. I am not a professional at all. I simply editing some 4K family video's with some simple filters / functions. But can still reach that demand (as long as the RAM is available).

So, if you have a 16GB system. The "free RAM" will be about 16-4 = 12GB, that's actually 3x of a 8GB system (8-4 =4). Which allow your computer to work with much less restriction. But if you "only" has 8GB, than most likely SWAP will be required in some case. The system won't crash, the apps will still work, but just a bit less smooth.

Furthermore, storage size is very personal. IMO, 256GB SSD is the minimum should go. If you only keep small amount of personal files on the internal SSD, then 256GB may be enough. But if for any reason you start to use FCPX. That the cache files can fill up your SSD in minutes. 100GB cache is pretty common during FCP editing. So, if you may do that later, I recommend you go for the 512GB SSD (or even larger, if budget permitted).

For your info, this is my usage of the boot drive.
Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 17.16.17.jpg

The system occupy about 17.5GB, let's call it 20GB (with the buffer). If you want to install Adobe CC, some Office apps, and FCPX, etc. Total may cost around another 20GB. For SSD, it's recommend to leave about 20% space (if possible) to let TRIM run properly. So, a 256GB SSD means that you should keep the regular usage at or below 200GB in total, and if minus the OS and applications demand. You will have ~150GB free space to use. If your own data rarely exceed this amount. Then 256GB should be enough. (P.S. you have to predict your future usage, the photos / videos size is getting larger and larger. If 150GB free space is "just fit" your current usage, most likely it won't be enough in short future)

Anyway, for RAM, if that's self upgradable, then you don't need to buy them from Apple. Just get the minimum RAM from them, then upgrade it by yourself will be much cheaper. It should not make any difference in real world usage.

Last edited:

06tb06

Cancelled
Sep 12, 2017
I chose the $1499 iMac (21.5") and upgraded the RAM to 16GB and went "all flash" with a 256GB SSD. I think this should be considered the "sweet spot" for the smaller iMac models. Also, if you plan on keeping you iMac long-term, the additional RAM size will benefit the overall performance of your machine over time.

I use the internal 256GB storage for all my programs and keep an external USB 3 drive for everything else, including media and proxy files when I'm using Final Cut Pro. As with any post production software, FCPX might take up a lot of drive space (depending on your project) so external storage will serve as a more cost-effective option.

Pixelmator is a good Photoshop replacement. It's designed exclusively for Mac. It contains powerful vector tools so to me it's like a cross between Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.

Ally77

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2017
I am assuming you are talking the 27 inch iMac??
Actually no on the 27" - I've used them and really dislike the screen size. I actually wanted a MBP, but just can't get a comfort level with the current hardware. So, reluctantly going with a 21" iMac for now. Thank you for your recommendations on the storage!
[doublepost=1516475232][/doublepost]
I consider what a software dev "recommends" to actually be their minimum spec and all the software you listed recommends 8 gb.

While I'm sure 8 gb will be enough there will likely be times you can benefit from more especially while using those programs and multitasking.

SSD is highly recommended however I can't tell you what size. Judging by the programs you plan on using and a 5 year life span I would GUESS 512gb SSD minimum.

Thank you!

nambuccaheadsau

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2007
Blue Mountains NSW Australia
Order the iMac with 16GB of memory as Apple advise memory on that model is not user upgradeable. The whole iMac has to be taken part to access the memory slots.

Also consider the 512GB SSD as 2567GB is mighty small and no doubt the iMac will be expected to last you at least five years.

Reactions: Ally77

1k9

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2014
If 27”, get the minimum 8gb and up ram as needed

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
Easy recommendations.

Get a 27" iMac.

Get the basic 8gb RAM configuration. If that's not enough, you can add more later.
(Note: if you get the 21" iMac, there is no way to add RAM -- at least not any "easy way")

Get either a 256gb SSD (adds $100 to cost) or a 512gb SSD (adds $300 to cost), depending on your budget.

For more storage, plug in an EXTERNAL 2.5" USB3 drive (it can be either an SSD or a platter-based hard drive, depending on your budget).

If you can afford $200 more, get the "midrange" 3.5ghz iMac instead of the base model. It has a "7600" CPU and slightly better graphics.

IMPORTANT:
The iMacs with SSDs come only as "build-to-order" units that you order at Apple's website. But it's worth the "extra wait" to get one.
A few authorized resellers (such as B&H) might have these pre-ordered and in-stock, ready-to-buy.

Ally77

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2017

Thank you! I finally found the storage capacity on my current, but dated, MBP; it's 500 GB. I still have almost 275 GB available. I probably added a significant amount to storage this past year with concert video and photos. I guess my big question to answer now, is how much of my current storage should be on an external HD or cloud, and how much I'll transfer to the new iMac?

Thanks for your help!

Ally77

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2017
8GB sure good enough to keep the system alive. However, it depends if you want a more smooth experience.

This is how I interpret the situation. (This screen capture is with the latest 10.13.2, PS CC 2018) View attachment 747606
The OS required about 4GB of RAM to store the system data to keep the OS smooth. If your system unable to provide that. It will reduce the demand by caching only the most important stuff (to the OS, not to you), or put something into SWAP, with the cost of slowing down your operation.

And now, if you have 8GB of RAM, that mean you have about 4GB free RAM for applications. That's not much actually. Even though you never multi task (always fully shutdown one apps before open another one), this can still a bit limiting for those media editing apps. Photoshop's basic requirement is about 700MB (with one normal size image opened), but can use much more than that for caching. More free RAM for Photoshop usually can let it run much smoother. Testing shows that Photoshop can speed up quite linearly when RAM capacity increase. Of course, the return will diminish, but if we just talking about 16GB of RAM, that's still far from the saturated point.

For FCPX, it's more or less the same. Basic need only about 600MB. However, once start video editing, the RAM usage can go up significantly. In my own experience, it usually stay between 2.5-4GB memory consumption for simple short video editing, but can also go up to 8-10GB usage in some case. I am not a professional at all. I simply editing some 4K family video's with some simple filters / functions. But can still reach that demand (as long as the RAM is available).

So, if you have a 16GB system. The "free RAM" will be about 16-4 = 12GB, that's actually 3x of a 8GB system (8-4 =4). Which allow your computer to work with much less restriction. But if you "only" has 8GB, than most likely SWAP will be required in some case. The system won't crash, the apps will still work, but just a bit less smooth.

Furthermore, storage size is very personal. IMO, 256GB SSD is the minimum should go. If you only keep small amount of personal files on the internal SSD, then 256GB may be enough. But if for any reason you start to use FCPX. That the cache files can fill up your SSD in minutes. 100GB cache is pretty common during FCP editing. So, if you may do that later, I recommend you go for the 512GB SSD (or even larger, if budget permitted).

For your info, this is my usage of the boot drive.
View attachment 747608
The system occupy about 17.5GB, let's call it 20GB (with the buffer). If you want to install Adobe CC, some Office apps, and FCPX, etc. Total may cost around another 20GB. For SSD, it's recommend to leave about 20% space (if possible) to let TRIM run properly. So, a 256GB SSD means that you should keep the regular usage at or below 200GB in total, and if minus the OS and applications demand. You will have ~150GB free space to use. If your own data rarely exceed this amount. Then 256GB should be enough. (P.S. you have to predict your future usage, the photos / videos size is getting larger and larger. If 150GB free space is "just fit" your current usage, most likely it won't be enough in short future)

Anyway, for RAM, if that's self upgradable, then you don't need to buy them from Apple. Just get the minimum RAM from them, then upgrade it by yourself will be much cheaper. It should not make any difference in real world usage.

Thank you; I've read through this several times. I greatly appreciate the time you took to carefully explain things to me and show screenshots!
[doublepost=1516756363][/doublepost]
OP:
Easy recommendations.

Get a 27" iMac.

Get the basic 8gb RAM configuration. If that's not enough, you can add more later.
(Note: if you get the 21" iMac, there is no way to add RAM -- at least not any "easy way")

Get either a 256gb SSD (adds $100 to cost) or a 512gb SSD (adds $300 to cost), depending on your budget.

For more storage, plug in an EXTERNAL 2.5" USB3 drive (it can be either an SSD or a platter-based hard drive, depending on your budget).

If you can afford $200 more, get the "midrange" 3.5ghz iMac instead of the base model. It has a "7600" CPU and slightly better graphics.

IMPORTANT:
The iMacs with SSDs come only as "build-to-order" units that you order at Apple's website. But it's worth the "extra wait" to get one.
A few authorized resellers (such as B&H) might have these pre-ordered and in-stock, ready-to-buy.

Thank you - much appreciated!
[doublepost=1516756446][/doublepost]
Order the iMac with 16GB of memory as Apple advise memory on that model is not user upgradeable. The whole iMac has to be taken part to access the memory slots.

Also consider the 512GB SSD as 2567GB is mighty small and no doubt the iMac will be expected to last you at least five years.

Thank you!
[doublepost=1516757383][/doublepost]
Pixelmator is a good Photoshop replacement. It's designed exclusively for Mac. It contains powerful vector tools so to me it's like a cross between Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.

Thank you - I'll check out Pixelmator too!

Reactions: h9826790

Ally77

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2017
Do you think this 27" iMac is worth the price difference vs. the 21.5" iMac listed below? Note: I'm not concerned with the screen size, I actually like the 21.5" better. Thanks in advance!

iMac 27" $2129 (and self-upgrade the Memory):
  • 3.4GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor,
  • Radeon Pro 570 with 4GB video memory
  • 8GB 2400MHz DDR4
  • 512GB SSD
  • Apple Magic Mouse 2
  • MAGIC KYBD NUM KEYPAD
vs.

iMac 21.5" - $1,929
  • 3.0GHZ QC I5, TB UP TO 3.5GHZ
  • 16GB 2400MHZ DDR4 ONBOARD MEM
  • 512GB FLASH STORAGE
  • AMD RADEON PRO 555 W/2GB VRAM
  • Apple Magic Mouse 2
  • MAGIC KYBD NUM KEYPAD

SideNote: a local store, authorized apple resell, sells this configuration/pricepoint:

27" iMac - $1,889.38
    3.5 GHz
    8 GB Memory (inexpensive to upgrade myself)
    AMD Radeon Pro 575
    1 TB Storage (with only GB of 32 fast SSD storage)
    Comes with standard keyboard (non numeric)

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Do you think this 27" iMac is worth the price difference vs. the 21.5" iMac listed below? Note: I'm not concerned with the screen size, I actually like the 21.5" better. Thanks in advance!

iMac 27" $2129 (and self-upgrade the Memory):
  • 3.4GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor,
  • Radeon Pro 570 with 4GB video memory
  • 8GB 2400MHz DDR4
  • 512GB SSD
  • Apple Magic Mouse 2
  • MAGIC KYBD NUM KEYPAD
vs.

iMac 21.5" - $1,929
  • 3.0GHZ QC I5, TB UP TO 3.5GHZ
  • 16GB 2400MHZ DDR4 ONBOARD MEM
  • 512GB FLASH STORAGE
  • AMD RADEON PRO 555 W/2GB VRAM
  • Apple Magic Mouse 2
  • MAGIC KYBD NUM KEYPAD

SideNote: a local store, authorized apple resell, sells this configuration/pricepoint:

27" iMac - $1,889.38
    3.5 GHz
    8 GB Memory (inexpensive to upgrade myself)
    AMD Radeon Pro 575
    1 TB Storage (with only GB of 32 fast SSD storage)
    Comes with standard keyboard (non numeric)

I personally won’t consider the 27” non SSD iMac even that’s cheaper.

And if you like the 21.5” more, I can’t see why spend more to get the 27”. ALL CPU, 16GB RAM, 555, should be good enough for most general usage already.

06tb06

Cancelled
Sep 12, 2017
If you plan on keeping your Mac around for the long-term, choose the "all flash" storage option over the Fusion Drive. The larger 2TB and 3TB drives come with 128GB of onboard flash but given the raw power of today's iMacs, the flash-only option ensures top-notch performance with incredible read and write speeds. If you need additional storage, there are plenty of USB 3 and Thunderbolt 3 external drives on the market.

I've throughly enjoyed using my 21.5" iMac. I grew up using smaller displays, so the size doesn't bother me at all. I purchased my machine through Apple's online store as a Built-to-Order (BTO) option but I did visit the local Best Buy store in town about a week prior to compare the display sizes.

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
Question: have you actually seen the two screen sizes in person? If not, is that a possibility? I can 100% understand going with the smaller screen, but please know what you're getting. For my dev machine, I upgraded to a 32 inch monitor, worrying that it would be massively oversized, and now I see I could have gone up several more inches (diagonal) without overwhelming my eyes or my desk space. (We also have a 24 inch 2009 iMac with a 20 inch add-on monitor, and it's clear to me that when that iMac goes to the great computer junkyard in the sky, or south asia, or where-ever, we'll buy UP and not DOWN. And yet I can see going 21.5 inch for certain uses.)

Anyway. If you're going 21.5 inch, I guess the question you need to ask yourself is how eager you might be to break into the iMac later on and upgrade the memory? Because if the answer is "not very", you can probably save yourself some worry and just buy 16 Gb. You will probably be sorta-kinda, probably, most of the time OK with 8 GB, but that's not much of a guarantee. Yes, it's more expensive to buy the memory from Apple, but think of it as a peace of mind tax. Of course, if you're OK with the idea of getting an iMac opener tool and new adhesive from (e.g.) iFixit, and opening the thing up yourself, then the money saving way is 8 Gb now and 3rd party add-on when you need it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.