iMacs Are Still Cool!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LouieSamman, Aug 27, 2012.

1. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I've been noticing lots of people along with their impression of Apple not being so serious with the iMacs, that says why buy an iMac nowadays?

People tend to buy Laptops, iPads, and iPhones with a decrease line with people buying iMacs.

A solid combination people tend to go with is a MacBook, iPad, & iPhone.

But that's where I have a problem. I find a suitable combination would be having an iMac, iPad, & iPhone.

iMac for power working, games, big screen

Then the iPad as a laptop replacement to lounge around the house, like you would with a laptop.

And of course the iPhone.

I understand that some people need a laptop such as business people who travels but for the casual people I find the iMac, iPad, & iPhone a purchase that more people should go with.

The desktop is not dead yet until laptops gets powerful enough to play high end games and have great specs. That way one could hook their laptop to their tv via AirPlay for a bigger screen when they want it. No more need for a desktop once laptops gets powerful enough to check off every thing a person wants, whether it's for high end gaming, speed, or working with apps that require high specs.

That's why I choose to get the new iMacs coming out this year (hopefully)

But just ranting. Leave your opinions.

2. plucky duck macrumors 6502a

I think I have all sizes covered pretty well. It tends to my needs quite well.

27" iMac - streaming video, gaming, video editing
    11.6" Air - lounging around the house, out and about, excellent portability for when I need a keyboard. Like the fact that it's not much bigger than iPad.
    iPad 3 - for really light web browsing and gaming needs, excellent portability and battery life.
    Galaxy Nexus - to stay online when I'm at work mostly, for Skype/tango, web browsing and email.

The Air and iPad compliment each other very nicely. I enjoy the iPad for what it does, but it's no laptop replacement. IOS is IOS, and OSX is OSX, even if you can pair a bluetooth keyboard to the iPad it's too clunky and just doesn't work for me.

3. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

If you look past all the angst and complaining on this board, you'll see that everyone here thinks the iMac is still cool. That's why we are here. It's just that we are also getting worried about Apple's delay in producing a timely and necessary update to the hardware to keep the model current, and worthy of its pricetag.

If Dell released a computer two years ago with a steep price tag and didn't update the components as technology advanced, they would be laughed right off the market.

We don't want Apple to suffer that fate, and we want our new iMacs!

4. iHailCarlo macrumors 6502

Thats exactly my setup, I have a nice iMac, and my ipad 2 to lounge around with, and then my iphone when i am out and about.

5. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

If you look at where the amount of people in these forums comparing iMac and Macbook, you would see a lot of people on the MacBook pro forums. It could be because they recently got updated but let's just wait and see how many people are on the iMac forum when the iMac gets updated.

6. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

imacs are still cool, but we all know that in 1.5 years apple knows how to make product even cooler. iphone 4 is still cool, but would you buy it ?

7. Lynn Belvedere macrumors regular

I'm planning on buying the iPhone 4 when the iPhone 5 comes out. Hoping for a hefty price drop.

8. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

It will probably will be free just as the 3GS is now and the iPhone 4S will be $99.

9. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Yeah makes sense to buy it for a cheaper price. But, would you pay full price now ? I don´t think so. This is what Apple expect us to do with the iMac. And, iphone 4 is almost as old as the current iMac.

10. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

If by almost as old you mean the current iMac is almost a year older than the iPhone 4...

11. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

iPhone 4: June 2010
    2010 iMac: July 2010
    2011 iMac: May 2011
    iPhone 4S: Oct 2011

Y'all need to check yo maths, iPhone 4 is almost a year older than the current gen iMac

12. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

Doh! I meant came out a year after, time for another cup of coffee. :eek:

13. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

I'm kind of an old fashioned guy in terms of desktop computers, in the fact that I can never see me not having one.

I've just had a 13" Air which is really portable, want to pick up an iPad soon too for the fun factor.

However, for long term computer use, i still use a Windows desktop. I want to replace this with a 27" iMac over time.

To me laptops will never be ergonomic enough to be treated as a main computer, although i know loads of people (granted, they don't work in the IT industry) who are quite happy with a laptop as their main PC.

14. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

The MBP was always more popular than the iMacs. Refresh helps stew the posts there but even without a refresh it still is the most popular.

15. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

That's what bothers me then haha. I'm all for Portability but as a main computer iMacs should be on top but I guess people like to settle with a 13"-15" Macbook Pro.

16. plucky duck macrumors 6502a

My iMac has been turned into an apple tv of sorts, lately just for watching DVDs and streaming videos. My Mac Air has gotten a lot of lovin' lately, but for certain things like movies, gaming, and video editing the iMac fits perfectly for those roles.

17. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

As you can see from my signature, that's exactly my setup. I feel it gives me the best of all worlds and it balances things out nicely. I had a MBA and it felt redundant with my iPad.

18. lexvo macrumors 65816

I like my 27" iMac very much for photo editing. And for other uses the big screen is nice too.

19. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Count me in with the iMac crowd. I have a 2010 i7 iMac 27 (previous generation to current) with the SSD/7200 combo, an iPad 3, iPod touch, soon an iPhone 5 - and the iMac is, hands down, my go to device.

The iPad is great as a go anywhere, be anywhere device but nothing - I mean nothing - beats the 27 inch screen. It's not retina but it's still plenty sharp, lots of space to work with, HD movies look great, and ML full screen is great for some apps that that benefit from huge amounts of screen real estate (Garageband, iMovie, iPhoto, and others). When it comes to the screen, size matters and always will. iPads, iPhones, and iPod touch screens will always be a cleverly implemented compromise (less so with the iPad, more so others) but a compromise nonetheless to the benefit of their ultra portable design - but that's it. When I'm at home, give me the big screen for anything, anytime.

I know you can get the display separately, but for me it's great to have it all in one package designed as a single unit ready to rip the moment it's out of the box. And in real world use, this machine (especially with the SSD) feels and still performs lightning fast. If I had to choose one device only and give up everything else, it would be the iMac although I would greatly miss the iPad. I use the touch primarily for music on the go and very little else. I hate cell phones.

20. macuser1232 macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

I've only bought Mac laptops, except for a PowerMac G4 I haven't used yet and I just really prefer the Mac laptops over any other laptop. I would pay for a Mac desktop to replace my Linux desktop but I just don't have the money and I don't really need it since my Macbook Pro suits all my needs. I despise Windows.

21. vishalduggal macrumors newbie

I think iMacs are delaying because they are having problems trying to bring retina display on it.

Sooner or later, every Apple device is going to get a Retina display.

22. OsideRida06 macrumors member

I love my 27". I like having it as the central hub for the Apple Ecosystem.

23. Fester1952 macrumors member

Fester1952

Totally agree. I still like the big screen and having a desk that I can throw a mouse, trackpad, keyboard, back-up drive, USB hub etc. Even when I was in Windows world I just did not like laptops.
    The iPad 3 I have for portability, use it while watching TV, or taking it out with me.
    The iPhone 4S for obvious reasons.

24. dkersten macrumors 6502a

Actually, I feel like there is little need for iMacs. High end MacBook Pros can run almost everything even the high end 27in iMacs can run at reasonable speeds. If you need I bigger screen, get an external monitor. If you need more horsepower than the high end mbp's, you should probably be getting an Mac Pro anyways. Just my opinion however

25. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

almost right but close enough.