Image retention on MacBook Pro Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yankeesxd, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Yankeesxd macrumors member

So i got the new 13inch Retina Macbook pro, may i know how i can check what display i have and how can i tell if i have the image retention/ghost image thanks

2. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

You cannot find out the display manufacturer on the 13".

IR test is the same as normal.

3. Yankeesxd thread starter macrumors member

like with a checkerboard picture and a gray background? or would you suggest some other way?

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If you "need to find out", then you don't have a problem.

You WILL be able to reproduce it by using a test designed to reproduce it. Don't bother jumping on the bandwagon - just enjoy your machine.

5. stevelam macrumors 65816

don't follow garbage advice like this.

the test is 'designed' to only produce it on faulty screens.

for a well known issue like this, you have every right to test out your machine to make sure its not faulty.

but chances are its an LG screen and it most likely will have IR issues.

6. evanavevan macrumors member

evanavevan

I just bought a 13" rMBP and have checked for IR, no issues. Can't check display manufacturer but either way it looks like I lucked out. I definitely don't notice anything during normal use.

7. Yankeesxd thread starter macrumors member

thanks alot for the reply! so do you suggest just finding any checkerboarded image online and test it for 10mins against a gray background?

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It's not garbage advice. Read up on the technology.

Why does something bother you if you don't notice it? It's like saying my car overheats if I drive it in reverse for an hour non stop. Well yeah, they all will, but who does that?

9. Bollebep macrumors newbie

Funny post, and ever so true :)

10. golf1410, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2012

golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Well, it got worse over time without the test. If this happen to yours, what would you think? Ok, it is normal because Apple said so. The test tends to identifies the problem before the 14 days is gone. This is why we test it at the first place.

Normal procedure how Apple handles the problem is telling you it is normal. Obviously, why?
    You know what I know. You haven't gone through Apple customer service on this case. You will know how bad it is. The problem is not a display. It is how Apple handles the problem. They don't admit it. You know what I know why.

The issue appears after a few mins.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

great choice of pic for the test lol. The ghost of SJ :p

12. stevelam macrumors 65816

are you serious buddy?

IR does not ONLY show up when you're doing completely bizarre, nonsensical things on your computer. if you actually think that, then you should try following your own advice and 'read up on the technology'.

i guess the poster above me with the SJ example is doing something completely insane on their RMBP by having an image on screen for a few minutes?

13. Jinzen macrumors 6502

Loads of bullcrap.

Hundreds of devices like iPads and iPhones all use IPS displays. iMacs and Thunderbolt displays. Heard widespread reports of image burn-in? Didn't think so.

Care try your BS again?

14. Yankeesxd thread starter macrumors member

Hey where can I find that wallpaper? Thanks

15. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

16. Brian Y macrumors 68040

So it's BS? Right?

Just a few news and forum posts from varying ages:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...ay-ghosting-just-take-a-look-at-these-photos/

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/disc...s-panels-always-suffer-from-image-persistence

http://shallowsky.com/blog/tech/lcd-burn-in.html

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Serie...osting-on-X220-IPS-screen/td-p/435201/page/13

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2158124

What I'm saying isn't BS. If it shows up when doing regular things, then yes, there's a problem (I had my first rMBP replaced for the same thing). But, no matter how long you stick your head in the sand for, it is a 'feature' of SOME (yes, SOME) IPS panels. It depends on the manufacturing process, and some of the materials used, as to exactly how visible it is.

Or you could just jump on the bandwagon like everyone else, because screaming "BS" is easier than actually looking into something.

----------

Hence why I said - if you need to look for it, there's no problem. If there's a problem - like in the above example, then it will show itself. Geez.

17. tilstip macrumors newbie

18. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

Is it me or does the LG screen look dimmer to the Samsung unless the user brought the brightness down on the LG!

19. tilstip macrumors newbie

Brightness was on both screens exactly 80%.

20. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

Yes, the whites are much better on the Samsung display, but the blacks are better on the LG.

21. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

Why is it that the LG Panel looks to show more detail in the picture then the Samsung panel? Was it the camera angle? The Samsung panel looks kind of washed out. Were as the LG shows more detail in the image that is displayed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdhIA8-UIRQ

I still need to see these two panels in person to determine which one is actually better. I would need it for Video Editing and some Photography work.

22. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

Does anyone know? Read my post above this one....

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I wouldn't try to analyze which is slightly brighter. There are desktop displays with 400cd/m2 maximum brightness ratings. I'm not sure if they hit that, but it is advertised. Your eyes would be noticeably uncomfortable after an hour of that.

I missed this thread before. A common issue with older displays was noticeable image persistence around areas of captive text. I would see ghosts of words like finder, safari, and whatever application names around the top. Typically this became a problem in aging displays, much like the purple edges. I've seen it in older imacs, macbooks, and several other brands of desktop display. I hadn't seen such a problem on newer display generations until the rMBP. It's weird for the potential to be there that early when something is left up for a few minutes. I've had many times where the screen saver refused to work, so the potential to encounter it as a real problem later is there.

24. liVec macrumors newbie

I have had IR on my LG display, many of which are faulty. Went to apple store, got it changed to Samsung one. No further problems.

Haters gonna hate

25. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

Why is it that the LG seem to show more detail in the panel then the Samsung in that Youtube video?