Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple fan23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
Hello, I am currently using an iPhone XS and the camera takes photos that are around 3000x4000 pixels, 3.2MB. I like to take photos of paintings in museums and want to get as much detail as possible, looking through them and zooming in when I get home, seeing brush marks (instead of just pixels) etc. My XS does not do this very well. I know a proper camera is the answer, but the bulk and cost of it puts me off. But I'd like to get as close as possible to super high res.

So my question is whether an iPhone 13 (14?) PRO RAW image produces larger images (I know the file sizes are bigger) with more pixel info and more pixels, or whether you get the same 3000x4000 pixel image with just more options to edit the raw file later. So I imagine I need a bigger sensor, so I can get huge photos, which I can then look at once back at home, even when crazy zoomed in.

Is 13 Pro Raw the answer or are the images the same size as my XS produces?
Thanks

zecanard

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2022
Longmont, CO
Hello, I am currently using an iPhone XS and the camera takes photos that are around 3000x4000 pixels, 3.2MB. I like to take photos of paintings in museums and want to get as much detail as possible, looking through them and zooming in when I get home, seeing brush marks (instead of just pixels) etc. My XS does not do this very well. I know a proper camera is the answer, but the bulk and cost of it puts me off. But I'd like to get as close as possible to super high res.

So my question is whether an iPhone 13 (14?) PRO RAW image produces larger images (I know the file sizes are bigger) with more pixel info and more pixels, or whether you get the same 3000x4000 pixel image with just more options to edit the raw file later. So I imagine I need a bigger sensor, so I can get huge photos, which I can then look at once back at home, even when crazy zoomed in.

Is 13 Pro Raw the answer or are the images the same size as my XS produces?
Thanks
The resolution of iPhone 13 Pro Max will remain the same, even in ProRAW, so you won’t be able to zoom in any better and see all the brush strokes like you want. Deep Fusion will give you improved detail in certain situations, but ultimately it’s still a 12 MP image and doesn’t work magic.

If you don’t want to buy a dedicated high-end camera but want to remain with Apple, wait for the 14 (Pro only) coming in just two weeks. It will have four times the resolution and be able to capture more detail that you can zoom in on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.