Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Images claiming to offer a glimpse of the wireless charging pad circuitry to be paired with Apple's upcoming "iPhone 8" have been shared on Chinese microblogging platform Weibo today by technology website ZEALER (via iClarified).

298293-1280-800x600.jpg

The two photos show several assembled inductive charging kits in a plastic tray and a black PCB board of bare circuitry modeled on the assembled kits. As with most alleged leaks that appear on Weibo, it's extremely difficult to tell whether the images are authentic, but we're covering them here for completion.

298290-1280-800x600.jpg

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has claimed the iPhone 8 and its companion devices, the "iPhone 7s" and the "iPhone 7s Plus" will all adopt glass bodies with metal frames to facilitate WPC-standard wireless charging functionality. The WPC-standard refers to the Wireless Power Consortium, which supports the Qi wireless charging functionality built into many Android devices.

According to Kuo, wireless charging will be enabled through an optional accessory sold alongside the new iPhones, rather than be included in the box. Separately, Apple blogger John Gruber has suggested that the accessory might not be available in September when the iPhones are expected to launch, but might ship later in the year instead alongside an iOS 11.1 software update.

I've heard that inductive charging will (a) be sold separately, and (b) might be late, waiting for iOS 11.1 (a la Portrait mode last year). https://t.co/N65dHMNQIJ - John Gruber (@gruber) July 8, 2017

Fast Company also reported that software issues, not components, would be the reason behind a possible delay in enabling wireless charging in the phones. According to their sources, if the software isn't ready, wireless charging could be unavailable when the phone first begins shipping.

Early rumors about the OLED "iPhone 8" and the iterative "S" cycle upgrades to the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus suggested Apple was considering a long-range charging feature, but that technology is yet to mature and there are likely challenges to overcome before it's ready for inclusion in a device like the iPhone. As such, Qi wireless charging is in line with rumors that have predicted the iPhone 8 will support inductive charging rather than a true wireless charging feature.

Article Link: Images Claim to Show Wireless Charging Pad Components Destined for the 'iPhone 8'

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I like the concept Of wireless charging. But I really don't see the need for this personally. I have no need for wireless charging with a dock or charging mat. It's Not anymore convenient for me, as I much prefer using the lightning cable. And At least if it's connected to the lightning cable, I could still use it while it's charging.

Until we see the addition of long range wireless charging, then my interest will be more Piqued.

Last edited:

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
As such, Qi wireless charging is in line with rumors that have predicted the iPhone 8 will support inductive charging rather than a true wireless charging feature.

And if it's not long range I don't really see a point in wireless charging. don't see a huge difference in placing on a charging dock vs plugging in a charger.

Last edited:

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Not excited about this type of wireless charging... I still need to put it at a specific spot to charge. Lightning cables are so easy to connect, I really don’t see the advantage of charging pads. With a cable it can charge while I hold an use it.

What I would like is true contactless wireless charging.

Reactions: SquidRuby

Uaaerospace2

macrumors member
May 17, 2017
Either way, it's welcome news for me. The lightening cable end is tiny and hard to unplug without two hands. I fumble to plug/unplug on my nightstand, so setting the phone in a mat will be better for me.

mofish

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2012
Scotland
I really could not give a monkey's about charging my phone on a mat which will be an additional cost.

This is not new tech. I await long range wireless charging.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Why is it round? Looks like something for the Watch, not the iPhone.

kevine

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2002
Palo Alto, CA
"Fast Company also reported that software issues, not components, would be the reason behind a possible delay in enabling wireless charging in the phones. According to their sources, if the software isn't ready, wireless charging could be unavailable when the phone first begins shipping."

This just makes no sense to me. If the charging software isn't ready, how do they know the components are working properly? If they ship tens of millions of phones only to ship the hardware controlling software later, this could be a very expensive mistake if there are any problems with the hardware.

Also, it doesn't seem reasonable that the software could take long to develop.

Dydegu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2015
Pennsylvania
“Stupid. If it won’t charge via solar cell while it’s in my pocket, I don’t see the point.”

Relax, everyone. Let’s see what Apple has to say in a few weeks and make our criticisms then.

Reactions: ILikeAllOS

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
Eh, not at all interested about inductive. I really wish Apple hadn’t had bothered. They probably felt pressured by all those making fun of them for lacking ‘wireless’. It seems a waste of internal space especially given that you have to buy it separately too. For me it’s true wireless or nothing.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
Not excited about this type of wireless charging... I still need to put it at a specific spot to charge. Lightning cables are so easy to connect, I really don’t see the advantage of charging pads. With a cable it can charge while I hold an use it.

What I would like is true contactless wireless charging.
Apple could adopt that wireless charging tech in the matt itself. So the charging matt could be wireless.
It would be the answer for apple in keeping the iphone cheaper and to have more space in the iphone itself, and let people pay extra for the newest tech. While keeping volumes in check because of this new tech and low yields.

infinitejest

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2016
Orange County, CA
Idk, but I actually prefer using a cable since I can at least use the phone while it's charging, which in turn is not so easy when you have to have it lay flat on a pad...

Shoju

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2014
Berlin
Looks like something for the Watch, not the iPhone.
My first thought exactly: I can't make out the scale of these components (couldn't the leakers have put a coin or sth next to the parts?! ;) ) so they may as well be made for Apple Watch, right?
P.S.: I know that wireless charging components need to be round.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
“Stupid. If it won’t charge via solar cell while it’s in my pocket, I don’t see the point.”

Relax, everyone. Let’s see what Apple has to say in a few weeks and make our criticisms then.
What? If it's INDUCTIVE ITS GARBAGE. We don't need to hear what Apple says. Apparently you don't understand what inductive charging is. Worthless.
[doublepost=1502967458][/doublepost]
Apple could adopt that wireless charging tech in the matt itself. So the charging matt could be wireless.
It would be the answer for apple in keeping the iphone cheaper and to have more space in the iphone itself, and let people pay extra for the newest tech. While keeping volumes in check because of this new tech and low yields.
This comment makes no sense. You seemingly do not understand inductive charging.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
What? If it's INDUCTIVE ITS GARBAGE. We don't need to hear what Apple says. Apparently you don't understand what inductive charging is. Worthless.
[doublepost=1502967458][/doublepost]
This comment makes no sense. You seemingly do not understand inductive charging.
Why doesn' t it make sense?
You can shout , But , if you don' t understand something , it is smarter to ask questions.

ILikeAllOS

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Tampa Bay
Not sure if these are actually the parts for the iPhone but it doesn't matter because we all know it's coming in a month and I can't wait to finally have wireless charging! :cool:

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
I think this would be a nifty additional feature to have... IF some sort of charging dock/mat came with the phone.

The rumors suggest otherwise, which is a big disappointment. I don't want to have to buy an overpriced dock just to use a feature that has very little, if any, benefit.

If it was usable out of the box, I'd probably use it regularly. Otherwise, it's just a disappointment.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
Why doesn' t it make sense?
You can shout , But , if you don' t understand something , it is smarter to ask questions.
So the charging mat is wireless. That's what you suggested. What does that even mean?

Olganech

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2015
Coffee shops have charging mats built into the tables so whe you are having your coffee you can charge your phone at the same time.

That is how it works in Europe since the tech has been around for years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.