Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Idk, but I actually prefer using a cable since I can at least use the phone while it's charging, which in turn is not so easy when you have to have it lay flat on a pad...
You have absolutely nothing to worry about. The wireless charging is an option. It's an option for any phone that has wireless charging capability (over 30 of them have it). You can still use the charging cable.

I think this PCB is for the HomePod. A QI-charging pad only requires a small chip (controller) and copper coil to transmit the waves to the phone. I don't see any coil here!
You're looking at a component, not all the components. Not seeing the coil is not evidence of anything.

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
Really disappointed to see the leaks indicating inductive. It's nothing new and it really should not be called wireless. I can't hold my phone and walk around while it's charging. If anything I'm more inhibited with inductive vs a lightning cable. I don't see myself purchasing this optional accessory.

It's also odd that inductive is not going to be ready at launch. The technology is ancient. What's the delay for? If Apple is using energous's RF based wireless charging (which is currently about to get FCC approval) this delay would make sense. FCC approval is taking longer than expected and they can't technically sell a feature that isn't approved so they have it disabled until it is approved.

Anyways, fingers crossed that these are just red herrings and we will really get energous's wireless charging announced in a month (a real game changer that no company has done yet)!

Reactions: Pfunstuff

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Apple wont call this wireless charging.

Air Charge ?

It's good to see people here still sticking to their guns.
For literally years and years, I'd read posts here from so many saying how they don't want wireless charging and it's a dumb idea.
Good to see people will stick to their opinions, and won't be changing their mind just because Apple finally decided to do it.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
So the charging mat is wireless. That's what you suggested. What does that even mean?
Charging matt is wireless, so it doesn' t need to be plugged in the wall with a cable attached to the matt, and is able to receive power wireless.
The iphone is charged by this matt when you put it on the matt.

infinitejest

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2016
Orange County, CA
You have absolutely nothing to worry about. The wireless charging is an option. It's an option for any phone that has wireless charging capability (over 30 of them have it). You can still use the charging cable.

I do know that, I was just expecting more. Like the "real wireless charging" thing... Especially since they are so late to the game.
But who knows, nothing is confirmed or certian yet. Maybe they actually have a surprise for us next month.

Olganech

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2015
Really disappointed to see the leaks indicating inductive. It's nothing new and it really should not be called wireless. I can't hold my phone and walk around while it's charging. If anything I'm more inhibited with inductive vs a lightning cable. I don't see myself purchasing this optional accessory.

It's also odd that inductive is not going to be ready at launch. The technology is ancient. What's the delay for? If Apple is using energous's RF based wireless charging (which is currently about to get FCC approval) this delay would make sense. FCC approval is taking longer than expected and they can't technically sell a feature that isn't approved so they have it disabled until it is approved.

Anyways, fingers crossed that these are just red herrings and we will really get energous's wireless charging announced in a month (a real game changer that no company has done yet)!

Using your phone while charging puts more strain on the charger and battery and takes longer to charge.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
Yeah, Energous' CEO keeps claiming FCC approval is right around the corner. Thus far, only the mini transmitter (charging mat) has been cleared by the FCC. Here's an enlightening article about Energous. Bit long, but enlightening nonetheless.

Reactions: Demo Kit

Infiniverse48

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2017
Charging matt is wireless, so it doesn' t need to be plugged in the wall with a cable attached to the matt, and is able to receive power wireless.
The iphone is charged by this matt when you put it on the matt.
What exactly are you suggesting, that this mat device receives distance charging, or it's charged by inductive charging? Lmao. Also what good does this get you again? You seemed to suggest that this would allow the iPhone to not have to include inductive charging electronics? Uhhh no? The iPhone would still require the inductive charging components to charge from this mat....
[doublepost=1502973021][/doublepost]
Using your phone while charging puts more strain on the charger and battery and takes longer to charge.
Lmfao. No. The device is specifically designed to be used while it's charging. Wow people... wow.
[doublepost=1502973249][/doublepost]
Air Charge ?

It's good to see people here still sticking to their guns.
For literally years and years, I'd read posts here from so many saying how they don't want wireless charging and it's a dumb idea.
Good to see people will stick to their opinions, and won't be changing their mind just because Apple finally decided to do it.
If Apple announces inductive wireless charging it will be among the most embarrassing things the company has ever done, and that's just a fact. I am all for Apple, but they have made critically stupid mistakes and this will be the worst, most embarrassing yet, and I mean embarrassing not just because of the extremely minute convenience this adds, but more so because Schiller et, al. have stated it's unknown convenience.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008

it doesn't connect via a wire to your phone. It charges your phone. Wireless. Charging.

As for usability, I always see comments like this and don't really understand them. How long are people's lightning cables that they are taking calls or using their phone while charging? Its making me think of crazy long cables like the phone on the wall in Roseanne (now theres a random reference). I like to keep my house at least a little tidy so our lightning cables are fairly short (at least the part that comes out from behind the cupboard. I could probably browse the web while hunched over, but I couldn't take a call - realistically I'd remove the cable to use it, so not any different from wireless charging.

Conversely if I'm going to be needing to use the phone soon, I often won't bother plugging it in - no it isn't difficult, but it can be a bit annoying (would love a magsafe style charger..). A wireless mat where I'd put the phone down anyway? Its charging regardless.

Infiniverse48

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2017

My assertion for a long time has been this:

Apple includes Energous/Dialog RF-based wireless charging chips in all 2017 iPhones. These chips provide all of these devices with the capability to charge from contact AND distance charging. Energous has FCC approval for the contact-based charging, and therefore all 2017 iPhones come equipped to contact-charge, and they all come equipped with the hardware readiness for distance charging when FCC approval permits it. I believe the HomePod is the first distance charging device, providing 3ft charging range for these devices. I believe it's launch in December with availability in only the US, UK, and Australia is specifically to get regulatory approval for this charging.

Next year or the year after sees 'Apple Home', a larger more feature-packed device with a display and distance charging of up to 15ft.

That's my vision.
[doublepost=1502973651][/doublepost]
it doesn't connect via a wire to your phone. It charges your phone. Wireless. Charging.

As for usability, I always see comments like this and don't really understand them. How long are people's lightning cables that they are taking calls or using their phone while charging? Its making me think of crazy long cables like the phone on the wall in Roseanne (now theres a random reference). I like to keep my house at least a little tidy so our lightning cables are fairly short (at least the part that comes out from behind the cupboard. I could probably browse the web while hunched over, but I couldn't take a call - realistically I'd remove the cable to use it, so not any different from wireless charging.

Conversely if I'm going to be needing to use the phone soon, I often won't bother plugging it in - no it isn't difficult, but it can be a bit annoying (would love a magsafe style charger..). A wireless mat where I'd put the phone down anyway? Its charging regardless.
I, like hundreds of millions of other smartphone users, commonly use my device while it is plugged in, charging. I lay in bed with it charging almost daily. It's pivotal to usability.

HowieIsaacks

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2013
Addison, TX
I don't think wireless charging will be any more convenient than connecting my iPhone to a lightning cable. It's just a novelty. How lazy can you be?

Olganech

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2015

Apple includes Energous/Dialog RF-based wireless charging chips in all 2017 iPhones. These chips provide all of these devices with the capability to charge from contact AND distance charging. Energous has FCC approval for the contact-based charging, and therefore all 2017 iPhones come equipped to contact-charge, and they all come equipped with the hardware readiness for distance charging when FCC approval permits it. I believe the HomePod is the first distance charging device, providing 3ft charging range for these devices. I believe it's launch in December with availability in only the US, UK, and Australia is specifically to get regulatory approval for this charging.

Next year or the year after sees 'Apple Home', a larger more feature-packed device with a display and distance charging of up to 15ft.

That's my vision.
I, like hundreds of millions of other smartphone users, commonly use my device while it is plugged in, charging. I lay in bed with it charging almost daily. It's pivotal to usability.

So to get wireless charging from Apple you will need a $350 speaker!!

Meanwhile the rest of the industry use $20 mats.

Reactions: Demo Kit

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
I'd wish this to be included in the box with iPhone 8, but hey if it's cheap enough I might just buy one.

As someone who doesn't use the iPhone while it's charging, I think it'll be great for me, specially if it's capable of "fast charging". On the plus side, no more fraying cables and that's always a win.

Infiniverse48

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2017
So to get wireless charging from Apple you will need a $350 speaker!!

Meanwhile the rest of the industry use $20 mats.
Face palm. Read again. To get DISTANCE charging you'll need $350. To have contact charging you'll need $20 or less. Thanks.

Olganech

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2015
Face palm. Read again. To get DISTANCE charging you'll need $350. To have contact charging you'll need $20 or less. Thanks.

No face palm needed, I knew that I was just making fun of the fact that to get distance charging you will need to pay $350.

fede777

macrumors member
May 10, 2017
Phil Schiller "Available June 15th, at just $129, we think you are gonna love this."

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014

That's my vision.
Energous and Apple are most likely partnered. But outside of the charging mat, I have a strong feeling Apple fans are going to be disappointed with what Energous is offering. Basically at a distance weak trickle charge. Not my words, words of the CEO https://finance.yahoo.com/news/investigation-air-charging-hoax-174529738.html
Long read, but pay attention to what the CEO says: trickle charge on distance, one device at a time.

Coco Nuts

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2016
Those 2017 iPhones will be some heavy phones I guess... Stainless steel, glass and this wireless stuff build in.

MikaelThib

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2012
I like the concept Of wireless charging. But I really don't see the need for this personally. I have no need for wireless charging with a dock or charging mat. It's Not anymore convenient for me, as I much prefer using the lightning cable. And At least if it's connected to the lightning cable, I could still use it while it's charging.

Until we see the addition of long range wireless charging, then my interest will be more Piqued.

Thank you! This so called wireless charging which you have to leave your phone on a dock is completely pointless! Im sure millions of people will be paying 200$ for the accessory, when as you pointed out, charging with the cable is in fact more convenient!

Reactions: 44267547

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
If this is also a magnet and can hold the weight of the iPhone, it is going to be great for me using it in the car and truck.
I already have a magnet mount for the phone in both vehicles, my desk at home, work, in the kitchen and if this one is a magnet and charging, even better.

I am not as much of a fan of the traditional dock because you either use both hands to remove or you double side tape it to a surface to easily grab and go. This can add even just a tiny bit of convenience to my already go go go type of days.

I just don’t have enough in me to be so salty against an inductive charging system just For the sake of being salty. Analyze to see how it could possibly benefit you in some way, or don’t use that option. Or if something inside you wants to hate it that much but a different phone.
So much time wasted on complaining and finding a brotherhood of complainers to sit around and complain together.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
predicting this will be the introduction of the widespread usage of super-caps and some small super-cap producer is going to do well on this launch.

GrumpyMom

macrumors G4
Sep 11, 2014
I like the concept Of wireless charging. But I really don't see the need for this personally. I have no need for wireless charging with a dock or charging mat. It's Not anymore convenient for me, as I much prefer using the lightning cable. And At least if it's connected to the lightning cable, I could still use it while it's charging.

Until we see the addition of long range wireless charging, then my interest will be more Piqued.
I found I use the charging puck for my Samsung way more than I ever expected to. I liked it so much I set up a couple of "charging pucks" in the house. It's as convenient as setting the phone down on the table. I'm not sure why some people seem to have difficulty getting their phones positioned "just right". It's not that bad, just set it down, wiggle the phone a little if needed, wait for a little "bloop" sound to indicate proper contact has been established and you're good to go. If my phone isn't in the thick cases I usually use, it establishes contact almost immediately.

It's very much like charging the Apple Watch. It is very convenient at night. If I happen to go to bed after my husband is already asleep I don't have to fumble around in the dark trying to get the charging cable plugged into the little port on the phone. I just set the phone down on the puck and I'm done!

Of course it's an optional method. People who prefer wired charging so that they can use the phone at the same time will have that available, too.

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008

That's my vision.

I think what you outlined makes a lot of sense. The energous solution is so scalable for the future...makes so much sense to use. I just don't know why we are seeing leaks for the inductive coil! Even Energous's contact based would not require the coil (it's much smaller than the coil, another benefit).

Reactions: Infiniverse48
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.