Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Images of Next-Generation iPod Touch Surface?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Earlier this week, MacRumors received a somewhat blurry image claimed to be the next-generation iPod touch. The image depicts a camera centered at the top of device's rear, corresponding with numerous third-party case designs appearing from Chinese manufacturers in recent months.

Today, MacRumors received word from the same source that the rumored next-generation device had been torn apart and images posted to the on-air blog of Covino & Rich, hosts of the Maxim Radio talk radio show on Sirius and XM satellite radio. The blog post includes additional information from the source regarding the origins of the device.
-to show it’s real. If you look at the board, it states Apple 2009 very clear. The 2nd gen AKA iPod touch out now, has 2008 on it. They haven’t revised the 2008 touch. I will compare them in pic in a sec.

-BTW, these phones NEVER leave Apple and this one left but it was a durability test phone, so that’s why the screen is all gridded off and cracked.

-The side by side picture is the inside of the current gen vs the 3rd gen (one coming out in September).

-I acquired this from a guy that I buy parts phones and iPods from. I believe he’s a recycler in ***********, so what most likely happened is that Apple threw this away and he some how got it and sold it for parts.

The Covino & Rich blog post includes additional images showing several other angles of the device, as well as some internal shots revealing that the purported next-generation iPod touch appears nearly identical to the current version.

Apple has been rumored to be holding a media-focused keynote event in early September, where many are expecting to see the launch of new iPod touch models.

Article Link: Images of Next-Generation iPod Touch Surface?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I really don't care if these are real or not, but I do expect this is what the next iPod Touch will look like.

Comment

iGuardian

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
I hope they change the back from metal to plastic... I don't like the metal-with-camera look to it...

Comment

MXChristian11

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2008
San Diego, CA
damn man, did he have to like drag it behind his truck to sneak it to his house? my god, thing looks like it got caught in a fight with a lawn mower and the lawn mower won! :eek:

Comment

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Looks scratchy.

I'm sure that case manufacturers are happy that Apple has kept the scratchtastic back. If this turns out to be real, that is.

Comment

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Now that it has a camera I wonder if it will have video? Be excellent if it does.

Comment

BryanLyle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Why does it have a little light beside the camera? Is that going to be an indicator that the camera is on? Or a flash perhaps?

Comment

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Now that it has a camera I wonder if it will have video? Be excellent if it does.

Of course it will. Will be the same functionality as the 3gs, unless of course Apple stops crippling the chipset and allows 720p recording but that isn't going to happen.

Comment

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Looks a bit photoshopped to me, but I can see how a new iPod Touch would look like that.

Comment

loesjoel

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2009
I'll go ahead and believe these are real. I mean really, how far off could it possibly be?

I'll also go ahead and state my disappointment that they're still going with the metal back. I've owned a lot of iPods over the years and, by far, the one that still looks the best is the 2G iPod nano with it's aluminum unibody because it doesn't show wear like these stainless steel backs do.

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Well, even if it's not real, that's probably what it will look like.

So I guess it doesn't really matter if the photos are fake...that's pretty much what you'll get!

Comment

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
These do correspond to the cases we saw earlier, these photos aren't bad though which is nice, better than the tablet videos floating around...:rolleyes:

Comment

Quicksilver00X

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2009
Looks pretty legitimate to me but honestly adding a sub-par camera to the iPod Touch doesn't really make it exciting.

However, a price drop and a faster processor along with more storage would make this worthy of an upgrade.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.