Images of Samsung's Galaxy S9 Leak Ahead of Rumored February Unveiling

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 5, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Samsung is planning to unveil its next-generation smartphones, the Galaxy S9 and S9+, at an event that's set to take place at Mobile World Congress on February 25, but ahead of that date, several images have leaked depicting the South Korean company's new flagship device.

Noted leaker Evan Blass, aka @evleaks, has shared several renders of the new Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ on Twitter, along with details about what to expect from the device that will compete directly with Apple's own iPhone X.

[​IMG]
    Galaxy S9​

Samsung's two new smartphones will continue to use the same general design as the Galaxy S8 devices, with slim bezels and a near edge-to-edge Super AMOLED display. Unlike the iPhone X, the S9 and S9+ have black bars at the top and bottom of the device, with the top bar housing components like the camera and the microphone.

[​IMG]
    Galaxy S9+​

The larger of the two devices, the Galaxy S9+, features a new vertical dual camera design at the back of the phone, similar to the iPhone X. Samsung's invite for its February 25 event suggested camera improvements will be a main focal point for the two new flagship devices.

[​IMG]

Rumors suggest the Galaxy S9 will feature a single 12-megapixel camera with variable aperture from f/1.5 to f/2.4, while the S9+ will feature the same variable aperture 12-megapixel camera paired with a second 12-megapixel camera with a fixed aperture.

Samsung isn't ready to introduce a robust Face ID-style feature in its smartphones (but it will continue to offer less secure iris scanning and facial recognition as options), so the Galaxy S9 and S9+ will feature fingerprint sensors located at the back of the devices. Samsung has, however, repositioned the fingerprint sensor on both devices to below the camera instead of to the right of it.

Samsung plans to offer its Galaxy S9 and S9+ in Midnight Black, Lilac Purple, Titanium Gray, and Coral Blue. The Samsung Galaxy S9 will measure in at 5.8 inches like the iPhone X, while the S9+ will measure in at 6.2 inches. Android Central has additional details about Samsung's upcoming S9 and S9+ for those who are curious about what to expect to see in the devices that will directly compete with the iPhone X.

Article Link: Images of Samsung's Galaxy S9 Leak Ahead of Rumored February Unveiling

2. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

5.8" on the smaller phone? Jesus christ... who's got hands that big?

3. acblue94 macrumors regular

acblue94

2018 and they still have ugly bezels at the top and bottom

4. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

pnoyblazed

I’ll say this again, competition is a wonderful thing

5. newyorksole macrumors 68040

Almost 11 years later since the original iPhone and literally no company has made a phone enticing enough for me to even *TRY* it out for a day.

Buttt I’m sure plenty will enjoy this device.

6. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

7. prymitywista macrumors member

prymitywista

8. JaySoul macrumors 68030

JaySoul

Looks great, camera should (hopefully) be improved significantly, design was already beautiful, fingerprint sensor positioned better...

Should be a great option.

9. Menopause macrumors 6502a

Menopause

10. MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

Main thing that drove me to Samsung was the S-Pen on the Note 8. Great for my workflow. Not as interested in the S8 or S9 since it lacks the incremental functionality over an iPhone 8 than the Note series has.

If Apple ever comes up with a great embedded pen, widgets, edge menus and a few other things, I may be enticed to take another look at iOS. But for now, the Note 8 (not necessarily the S8/S9) is the better product overall for me.

11. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

What?
    These Samsung leaks are pretty ugly (imho).

12. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Doesn't entice me to try. I am happy in my Apple ecosystem.

13. LukasValine macrumors regular

LukasValine

The wallpapers they’ve chosen seem uninspired. Same with the spilled paint iPhone X wallpapers. It’s really not a great way to sell an edge to edge display.

14. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

You think that is bad, you should see the new iPhone...it's got an uneven NOTCH at the top that really stands out! :rolleyes:

15. blacktape242 macrumors 65816

blacktape242

the back of that phone is ugly, the front is well.... the same really.

16. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

5.8 is pretty small since its not as wide as phones used to be.

17. MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

Not sure if you're trolling, but you do know that the iPhone X also has a bezel, but in the shape of a notch.

18. 555gallardo macrumors regular

555gallardo

I find it awkward that my 2yo Galaxy S7 edge looks way better than S8/S9.

19. asdavis10 macrumors 6502

asdavis10

20. Aussi3 macrumors 6502

Aussi3

Waiting for Samsung to have a notch then I’ll consider buying

21. BMcCoy macrumors 68000

BMcCoy

22. ersan191 macrumors 6502a

These aren’t exactly magazine advertisements - they are leaked production renders.

23. apolloa macrumors G4

Same as the S8 but with the finger print scanner in a better position, nothing surprising at all.

But, it is surprising if the Plus model only gets the dual camera. I’m rather glad Apple put one in the X. Because it’s the smaller phone.

24. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Samsung may catch up with Apple someday. But not today.

25. newyorksole macrumors 68040

Yeah for me that stuff isn’t of importance. It’s kind of crazy that to me there’s no competition that can win me over. Apple’s ecosystem, products, design and features are just stellar for my needs.