Images Reveal Google's Gmail Redesign Coming to Web Browsers on Mac and PC

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 12, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google has reportedly been working on a design overhaul of its Gmail interface on the web, and today The Verge obtained a collection of images that show off this redesign. The new look of Gmail is said to currently be in testing within Google and "with trusted partners."

[​IMG]
    Images via The Verge

According to the new images, Gmail for the web will update to fall in line with Google's mobile Gmail apps, including some elements of the company's Material Design. One of the major visual differences is a new sidebar that provides multiple options for customization. Users can choose to add Google Calendar, Google Keep, or Google Tasks in the side window, or collapse it completely and focus only on their inbox.

Along with Material Design and the sidebar, The Verge noted that Google is adding three new layouts for Gmail users to pick from:
    There will also be two new additions coming to the web called smart replies and snooze, both taken from the Inbox by Gmail app. Smart replies is also on the basic iOS and Android Gmail apps, providing users with straightforward replies for quickly responding to emails. Snooze lets users temporarily remove emails and reminders from their inboxes until they want them to reappear.

[​IMG]

The internal test of the Gmail update is believed to expand to G Suite and Gmail users "in the coming weeks."

Article Link: Images Reveal Google's Gmail Redesign Coming to Web Browsers on Mac and PC

2. Markoth macrumors 6502

Markoth

I love how bland and boring this new "flat" UI trend is. I have a general distaste for all things fun and beautiful, so to me, lots of featureless plain white background really just makes my day. /sarcasm

Other than that, good job. Heh heh.

3. kasakka macrumors 68000

This does indeed look very bland. Utilitarian in the wrong way.

4. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

I hope there is a dark mode. This all white UI looks blinding.

5. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502

Scottsoapbox

Which is so different from 95% of the web that is also mostly white?

...And don't get me started on Word/Pages primary color... :rolleyes:

6. Glasgowuk macrumors newbie

Glasgowuk

This would’ve been exciting 10 years ago...

7. MacOH21 macrumors newbie

Same design, just a new coat of paint. They rounded off some corners. Nothing more.

8. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

Thank goodness they're keeping the compact view.

I hate this new trend of whitespace... where everything is padded to the gills and you actually see less content.

9. omglolbbq macrumors newbie

omglolbbq

Finally they’re bringing in the snooze feature so I can ditch Inbox seeing as they STILL haven’t updated it to fit the iPhone X.

10. orbital~debris, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018

orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Gmail would be great if it weren't for the invasion of privacy.

I would like to see Apple focus on making Mail an even better email application, and tie any such work in with the iCloud Mail app so they're both improved.

11. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Looking forward to at least a few newer features as well as the redesign. I actually like the design currently, I'll be sad to see it go.

12. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

13. pete2106 macrumors regular

pete2106

Here's some leaked screenshots from those 'Trusted Partners'

14. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Part of a trend to worse design on the internet, but at least they haven't oversized the content and added lots of padding so that you see far less content (apple.com being one of the worst cases, that used to be a fantastic site with an interesting news page and a brilliant layout for shopping).

15. The Phazer macrumors 68030

It's worse than the existing view, but at least the compact view is only a little bit worse.

The default is dreadful.

16. MadeByApple macrumors member

I hope this redesign is better than the new google calendar layout...

17. AppleInLVX macrumors 6502a

AppleInLVX

Update the tea house theme, and I'll be happy(er).

18. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Which is fine. Don't fix what ain't broken.

I was worried they would muck it up. But I'm not upset about these screenshots. As long as we can keep picking themes. I'm personally a fan of "Dusk."

19. qawes macrumors regular

qawes

Looks cool, hope it runs just as well.

It actually reminds me of Android.

20. joesegh macrumors 6502

There's been themes in Gmail for as long as I can remember.

21. techpr macrumors 6502

techpr

Stopped using Gmail in my main email more than a year ago. Moved to ProtonMail and a Plus Member for extra features including my own domains. I prefer security.

22. kissmo macrumors 6502a

WOW! Looks.... like it's going to rain outside...

So Google's take on the email interface is just another fart in the wind.

Their Mail interface is ugly, unintuitive and extremely disgusting (of course tastes differ so many may contradict me)
    We have to use it at my job but I signed of a Polymail trial 14 days.... Seems more usable...
    Unfortunately our company does not allow IMAP so I don't have many Options. Boxy is OK but extremely Buggy.

Bravo Google! Simplifying is a concept more elaborate than that white background and rounded boxes...

23. 8281 macrumors 6502

iCloud looks about 10 years out of date, so I guess good for Google for at least updating their web apps. I don’t understand why Apple just sits on its hands with iCloud.com. iMessage on the web would be amazing.

24. markgpearse macrumors regular

I agree! I find this move to stark white, bland backgrounds very difficult on my eyes. Microsoft is the biggest offender (I am not one of those criticize everything MSFT does people.) Office has gone this route, as has MSFT's SharePoint platform. Awful!

25. Altis macrumors 68030

It makes no sense. Every section and even icons are all the same stark white. It's far more difficult to figure out where things are.

Yet like so many other terrible design elements, it's becoming the popular norm across websites, software, and operating systems.