iMessage problems

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rmead001, Jul 23, 2011.

1. rmead001 macrumors member

Is anyone else having an issue with iMessage? I have 1 other friend with an iPhone using the beta and when we were both on beta 2 we had no problems, it worked great. We both upgraded to beta 3 and that's whey iMessage no longer worked. We both sent multiple messages to each other and neither of us received any of them. We both turned iMessage off and went back to regular texting, it is a beta after all. Last night we both updated to beta 4 and iMessage still isn't working for either of us to each other. I've been searching but can't find anyone else complaining about this issue.

2. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Beta. Bbbbeeeeeetttttaaaaaaaa. B-E-T-A.
    B
    E
    T
    A

3. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

While normally I would agree that yeah its BETA!!!! but I wonder if this guys is restoring from a back up or doing a fresh set up and still having problems. I am betting that if he does a fresh restore things will start working for him/
    oh yeah PS....

ITS BETA

4. rmead001 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I know it's beta but I haven't seen 1 other person posting an issue about iMessage not working. There are actually many posts of praise. restoring as new is one of the last things I want to do seeing as how I have a ton of app data I'm really not in the mood to lose.

5. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Why would they post about iMessage not working? iOS betas are supposed to be for developers using test devices to test out their apps for iOS 5.

It's beta software. Things will be broken.

6. Surrix macrumors regular

It amazes me every time how many people make posts like this. The whole point of a beta is to discuss problems and weed out bugs. Posts like yours are the ones who don't really understand what "beta" means.

It would be one thing if the OP were bitching out Apple and talking about how they always release buggy software, or wondering how they could release something so flawed, etc etc, but that's obviously NOT what's going on here. OP is trying to get to the bottom of an issue and figure out how it might impact him in the future--THIS IS WHAT BETAS ARE FOR, PEOPLE

Uh, possibly because countless people already have posted about iMessage functionality. Just a stab in the dark here.

OP: I have problems with iMessage as well, but they're unrelated to yours.

7. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

Why can't people just wait for the officially release?

I can never understand these people who partake in betas, its called beta because it has bugs and you are supposed to accept the problems.

8. Surrix macrumors regular

Why can't people just not post in threads of which they don't approve?

Who says OP isn't accepting the problems? The original post says, and I quote, "it is a beta after all." By the way, if everyone waited for the "officially release," then all of these bugs would be in the "officially release" instead of in the betas.

I can never understand why people feel the need to make posts like this in every.single.thread. about the betas.

9. rmead001 thread starter macrumors member

seriously...I 100% understand that this is beta and features may not work. There is a reason I'm not using iCloud right now because the chance that it may not work. I had iMessage working perfect on beta 2 so I was confused why it wouldn't work on beta 3/4. I'm not complaining, just searching for possible solutions. If I thought everything would work 100% I wouldn't have installed it. I've tried a ton of stuff, force closing messages after making changes, adding my email into the iMessage info, restarting phone. The only thing I haven't done that I know of is fresh restore. Honestly, I'm not going to fresh restore my phone to install a beta on it. If it doesn't work, whatever I have texting. My friend and I were just anxious to use this new feature and are unable to.

10. kleinias macrumors regular

I read through this thread and I totally agree with what you wrote. It's almost as if the people in this thread were just writing from some sort of "It's a beta, it's a beta!!!" script or something. It had almost nothing to do with what the original poster asked about. He wasn't complaining or whining, and he even acknowledged that things like this are to be expected in a beta (Original poster: "it is a beta after all").

All he asked was: "Is anyone else having an issue with iMessage?" This is a forum where people often ask questions and discuss issues. If someone was using a beta and complaining about it, then I would have a totally different response, but here all the op did was just ask a simple question.

11. jonrando macrumors 6502a

If you are an actual developer, you'd be reporting the bugs to Apple, not posting them on a oublic forum.

If you aren't a developer, well, it's illegal to have a beta on your device without being apart of the Developer Program.

12. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

Cool down hot shot.

Picking my words like they are checker pieces, your parents must be proud.

13. saberahul macrumors 68040

14. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

Agreed

Follow the rules and just wait for official release and I'm sure iMessage will be fine.

Thanks to the person that +1 me to +3 :)

15. kleinias macrumors regular

That doesn't make any sense at all. Again, he's not saying it's a bug, in other words he doesn't even know if it's a bug in the first place. It's pretty common place to ask if anyone else is seeing the same thing, then you can assess whether something is a bug or if it is something going on that has more to do with your particular setup (if you restart or restore it might clear it up etc).

The weirdest part about some of the comments here is that this is almost the exact type of thing that forums like Macrumors are here for. A poster sees something going on, isn't sure if it's a widespread issue and asks if anyone else is seeing the same thing. Forums are great for this type of thing because you often have experienced, like-minded people that can help out.

16. chrisu91 macrumors regular

iMessages stopped working for me too. Just gets stuck on Sending, and never offers to send as a text instead.

17. sziehr macrumors 6502a

the beta beta beta people come on we know it is beta the OP knows it is beta if the person is having issues we should see if we are as well and respond. It is under NDA sure but i am a tester for a dev and he is not having certain issues i report them to him and he reports to apple but asks if i know any one else having this issue. This is standard troubleshooting.

18. jonrando, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

jonrando macrumors 6502a

Yes, but if he's really a developer, he has a private forum where he can discuss it among people who are the only ones who should really be using the software; developers. This is a public forum and isn't really a development / developer forum. He should be checking to see if it's "widespread" between developers, not average consumers.

As an example, I'd say I have a pretty advanced knowledge of iOS and Apples products, but as I'm not a developer and don't have access to the beta software, I really wouldn't be able to help out with his beta problems.

Developers are the onlys who have legal access to the beta software so it'd be counter-productive to discuss a beta issue with a forum populated mostly by average consumers. I think Apples intention with the private developer forums were exactly that; a place where developers can discuss developer / privately distributed software.

I know this for a fact as I watched WWDC 2011; it doesn't "offer" to send as a text. It only sends as a text message if the user you are texting either A) doesn't have an iMessage capable device or B) the user you are trying to text doesn't have an iOS device period, which I guess is apart of "A".

I'm not even a registered developer and I know this. Seriously.

19. rmead001 thread starter macrumors member

Actually when it fails to send the message as an iMessage there is a yellow triangle next to the message. If you touch it it asks if you would like to send as text instead.

20. Surrix macrumors regular

A very large number of people on these forums obviously have the beta, making this a great place to ask.

lols, legal. Anyone with a phone provisioned to a developer account has "legal" access to use the beta software. Get down off your moral high horse if you have nothing to contribute.

I have a pretty ridiculous idea that might fix the issue, but it's pretty far out there. iMessage doesn't work when you disable the camera/FaceTime in Restrictions, so you may want to to try enabling restrictions, disabling the camera (which will disable FaceTime), and re-enable the camera/FaceTime, then disable restrictions (perhaps include a few reboots in between the steps). Doing this on both phones may toggle the iMessage service off/on and potentially make it work. It's pretty unlikely, but it's the only idea I have.

21. shandyman Suspended

wrong, in beta 1 after 5 minutes of trying to send, it popped up asking if i wanted to send as SMS instead. others had it too, there's even a screenshot of it on the forum. i've not had any fail since, so dunno if that has changed

22. Munchkinsdad macrumors regular

Munchkinsdad

Yup...People need to get a life and not be so bored they have to post useless crap. So what if its BETA...it's an issue (in BETA). Someone else may have the same issue (in BETA) and figured out how to fix it if it was just a settings glitch because its (in BETA).

I also have the same issue with iMessage as well as other glitches and sometimes (if on Verizon) setting phone up again with *228 option 1 will fix it.
    I'm testing iMessage now as I write this probably useless post also... :p

23. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Doesn't matter. This is mainly a forum for average consumers to discuss Apple products, get help, etc. If there was a large amount of registered developers, how come there isn't a Developer forum where only Developers can talk about betas, etc?

Wrong! There are plenty of people who pay to have their UDID registered for only a couple of dollars so they can use iOS betas without having to hack through the activation. Just so you know, it's called "piracy". People are getting the beta for only a mere few dollars (because they payed a few dollars to have their UDID registered instead of paying 99 dollars to be in the Dev Program).

---

No, I watched the demo at the WWDC presentation when Scott Forstall was demoing iMessage. The other guy he was messaging had an iPhone. It automatically sent it as an iMessage because he had an iPhone and Scott had an iPad.

1) It didn't fail so I wouldn't know what happens if the iMessage fails

and 2) I'm not a registered developer, nor do I have the beta on my device so I wouldn't know what happens if the iMessage fails to send.

I only said I knew what happened, for example, between the iPhone and iPad at WWDC.

24. jonrando macrumors 6502a