iMessage to SMS over WiFi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MadDogMike, Jan 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MadDogMike macrumors newbie

So, I was on a plane the other day, connected to the WiFi and I received a text from a friend. I replied and he said he received it.

I didn't think about it at the time, but later I realized, "Hey, he doesn't have an iPhone, he has an Android!" And sure enough, my messages to him are green and the text field says "Text Message," not iMessage. So how could that work? Did Apple come up with some new way to actually SMS over WiFi that I'm not aware of?

2. SSAJ macrumors 6502

You are probably not on airplane mode

3. MadDogMike thread starter macrumors newbie

I was in airplane mode, and I was over the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

What carrier are you with? Some support SMS over wifi

5. MadDogMike thread starter macrumors newbie

It's Verizon. I thought only T-Mobile had free texting over GoGo WiFi. Verizon does have it's own "Messages+" app that will text over WiFi, but I was using the native iOS iMessage app.

6. BearBert macrumors regular

BearBert

It is because you have WIFi calling enabled. I use this almost everyday when at the gym, it's located in the basement of a commercial building where nobody gets any signal. Luckily they have complimentary wifi. I just put my phone in airplane mode and turn on the Wifi. I know T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon can do this.

FullSizeRender.jpg

7. MadDogMike thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh cool, I use WiFi Calling all the time when I'm overseas but I didn't know enabling it also enables texts over WiFi. Pretty slick!

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, texts, calls, visual voicemail messages and mms messages all go via wifi when using wifi calling.

9. G.McGilli macrumors regular

Just curious - but is this any different than when that I use imessage on my Mac connected with Ethernet to send all my text messages when at my desk to Apple and Non-Apple devices?

10. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

A bit, yes - the feature you are using is called 'Text Message Forwarding' which allows your other devices to send SMS messages via your iPhone using its normal cellular connection.

Here, the OP didn't have a cellular connection, but did have Wi-Fi calling, and the SMS was sent successfully via Wi-Fi.