IMO: Why Black Is Better Than White

Discussion in 'iPad' started by clayj, Mar 12, 2011.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

My objective reasons for preferring the black bezel over the white:

1. The screen is black much of the time, including when the iPad is turned off -- so it blends pretty seamlessly into the black bezel. With a white bezel, there is a sharp contrast.
    2. Black bezel + black camera aperture = camera is pretty much invisible. With the white bezel, there's a small black dot where the camera's located.
    3. I have no basis to know if the white bezel is going to yellow over time, but I've seen other white things in the past yellow over time. Black doesn't turn grey.
    4. When watching movies, the white bezel would be enormously distracting.
    I can see why some people might like the white bezel, but for me there are just too many reasons NOT to go with it.

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I agree with your insight ... I was suspect on the White for the same reasons.
    for instance ... there are zero Televisions that come in White.
    I predict that the White iPads will show up in the refurb store first.

3. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

Looking at the Gizmodo video the white bezel did seem distracting.

4. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

5. kimnicho macrumors member

color

I think just by reading the title of this thread, the OP feels "insecure" in his/her choice. I'm getting white and I don't care if it doesn't look "all black" when it's turned off as it will have a cover on:D I say "just pick a color YOU like and enjoy it"....there's no need to prove one is better than the other.

6. aberrero macrumors 6502a

I kinda agree that the black is better, but my iPad 1 is black and I wanted something different.

The Giz article really has me kinda regretting it though.

7. kevjen888 macrumors 6502

exactly, most people don't care the color, specs are more important than colors according to the few people i talked to in the line yesterday. memo to OP, it is not a pure black bezel, there's some aluminum trimming on the outer edge of the black bezel, to me that's even more annoying. again, the white is not that bright unless you shine it directly under sunlight, it's kind of off white that's very comfortable with the eyes.

8. Pared macrumors 65816

All solid reasons and why I would ultimately end up with a black one as well given the choice.

Just watch a movie played on both - the movie is at the forefront of your eye's attention. The white bezel as a frame certainly is distracting, especially in low level lighting.

9. aplqna macrumors 6502

False. Those of us with Smartcovers will barely ever, or never, see the screen when it is off. When we open it, the screen is on, when we shut it, we do not see a thing.

Who gives a ****?

Actually, you do have a basis. The white Macbooks (pre-unibody) turned yellow because of a contact agent -- your hand. This bezel is covered in glass. It will not turn. There are no contact agents.

False.

10. r2b2007 macrumors regular

We bought one of each. I have always gone black. My favorite color. My car is black... I bought white and played it safe to get my wife black. After seeing mine she is returning hers to get white. I have already watched movies and Netflix on it and the picture is outstanding. I love the white contrast. FYI I went with the black leather cover and really like the combination.

11. zemzabob macrumors regular

zemzabob

I have a white iPad 2 and love it got the wife a black one I see no difference in watching videos I guess to each his own.

12. adztaylor macrumors 68000

In that video the white does look extremely distracting to be honest. But its all about personal preference. If i was to get the iPad 2 it would be black I would get.

13. JorgeG macrumors newbie

didn't see the border until reading this thread and I still see no difference.

14. lilvenom macrumors member

great comparison.

i really wanted white because as an object, it makes it pop more- but for functionality (which is what is most important) black wins.

Glad i went with black 64GB

15. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

I'm not at all insecure in my choice. I'm just explaining the logic of why I think the black bezel is the better choice in most cases. That's why the title of the thread started with "IMO" -- "In My Opinion".

16. jamminj606 macrumors newbie

The video definitely showed the white can be somewhat distracting.
    I Didn't really think about this until I clicked this thread.
    Probably changed my mind from getting a white to getting a black one. Looks like I'm going to the apple store to try them out first hand before buying :)

17. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I am extremely photo sensitive...I get migraines from bright to dark contrast. I have to wear sunglasses whenever I leave indoors, prescription polarized. I find bright lcds to be difficult at times as well.

I really feel, so far (it could change I guess), that the white is a more natural taper..but it depends what you do. Light color webpages are more frequent on my iPad than movie watching. Most times the screen is predominantly light.

It is odd though coming from a black one and using black phones..I see benefits as well though.

18. Maaz macrumors 6502a

Because all the white were sold out and you made this thread to make yourself feel better about ending up with the black?

19. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

The problem is that it is a very personal choice. I personally love the white one. I dont find it distracting at all and I have a smart cover so I also don't get the bank screen white border thing.

I don't see why one has to be better than the other though and that seems to be what people are trying to prove around here lately.

20. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

21. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

22. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

Yes. That's the reason. God, you are SO insightful. Thank you for pointing that out to me.

23. foodle macrumors 6502

Geez, choose the color you like better. The end. :rolleyes:

This isn't like choosing which brain surgeon is going to operate on you. There isn't an objectively better choice. How about people actually start using their iPads instead of fretting over whether their color choice is the right one.

Those guys are such punks. Yes, all white iPad owners are just posers. :rolleyes:

24. ILikeTurtles macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Opinions are like rear-ends....everybody has one.