Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mylittlepwny

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2018
Does anyone else have issues running iMovie with an eGPU plugged in?

I have a 2018 15" MBP with 560x and a Sonnet 550 box with an MSI 580 in it. iMovie just crashes instantly if I have it plugged in, even if there is no monitor connected to the eGPU and I am trying to use the built in Macbook display. If I unplug the eGPU iMovie works just fine. I recently reinstalled a fresh downloaded copy of Catalina from a completely reformatted drive and it still crashes. Searching google for "iMovie crashes with egpu" just leads to generic and useless iMovie crash tutorials.

I can post the full crash report if anyone can make sense of it.
Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 10.21.30 PM.png

xdfish289

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2020
Same Problem with a Razer Core X and the AMD Vega 64.
I know the GPU isn't supported, but it works with other apps very well.
So it seems to be a general issue.

Is there another workaround than disconnecting the egpu?

mylittlepwny

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2018
I found that if I open iMovie and then plug in the egpu it won't crash and I can at least use my external monitor to edit. But I'm fairly certain that is just because it is not trying to run on the eGPU in that case.

Bushidough

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2020
I'm glad I found this thread. I'm having the exact same problem with almost the exact same gear: MBP 15" (2018), Razer Core eGPU, AMD Radeon Vega 64.

・iMovie crashes when the eGPU is plugged in before launching.
・iMovie does not crash if I unplug the eGPU before launching.
・If I start iMovie first and then plug the eGPU back in everything works fine, but I suspect that iMovie is not using the eGPU at all, which defeats the purpose.

I hope this gets resolved for the 0.01% of us who are working with this kind of set up. ☹️

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 18.52.49.png

keem

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2020
Hey I'm glad I found this thread, I have the same issue. I have a 2018 MBP 15", Razer Core X eGPU with the AMD Radeon Vega 64. I guess we have to wait for an update. Sooner rather than later hopefully.

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
It would also be nice if Adobe would update the latest version of Premiere Pro to use the eGPU fully for rendering, or has anyone found a hack that tricks it into doing so?

mfanti

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2021
Port St. Lucie, FL
I have a 2019 MBP 15" and AMD Radeon RX 560. After 1 hour with iMovie support and 1 hour yesterday with regular support I decided to disconnect the eGPU and it fixed the problem. Apparently Apple support doesn't know about the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.