iMovie HD 6 No Longer Available For Download

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 26, 2009.

1. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Actually, if the date that was posted on Apple's site is to be believed, it was released a full year before that. ;)

Still, AFAIK it wasn't available immediately until later in the day at the earliest, but I've tweaked the wording in the article, so thanks for point it out. :)

2. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

If you look in the actual thread, the release year was fixed, but the main article didn't get updated. It was a typo.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

We're getting silly now, but if you check the thread, it wasn't a typo on arn's part. Apple's page actually said 2006 at the time of posting, and in fact continued to do so until it disappeared within the past couple of days.

4. typecase macrumors 6502

typecase

The new iMovie still doesn't print back to DV Tape. :( For this reason alone, iMovie HD is worth the download.

5. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

For someone who wants to edit videos taken on a point and shoot Casio and upload them to YouTube, iMovie '08 is great. '08 was the first version of iMovie I ever used and I loved it. I downloaded '06 to see why everyone thought it was so much better. For a first-time user, it's not. I can see how it has more powerful control over editing, but it's just not as easy to use.

I'm ordering iLife '09 today. I'm really looking forward to the new transition effects and video stabilization features in iMovie. Amazon is shipping now.

6. sgntscrawn macrumors member

Absolutely!

iMovie 6 HD is far too complicated for a lot of people, and the people that apple want to appeal to. iMovie 08/09 may not have some of the pro-type features that 6 had, but Apple made the executive decision to make their entry-level editor much more easier to use, and their next step up Final Cut Express cheaper.

So quit bitching about the inadequacies of iMovie, and upgrade to FCE if you want more features, people!

7. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

i wondered why last month when i looked for it, i couldn't get the download to work. now i know. downloading as we speak.

thanks for the heads up.

8. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I just had a quick look at iMovie '09, which I received today, and was sad to find that it looks like the reports were true that there is STILL no 'rubber-banding' of audio levels. As this was one of the most useful editing features for me in iMovie I find it very annoying they haven't added it back yet, and I don't think it could be that hard to do.

*sigh*

I don't think it's too much to ask to have such basic feature parity with the version that came out three years ago. Hopefully they'll add back in a point update. Hide the more complicated stuff in 'advanced' modes by all means, but the step up from iMovie to Final Cut is just too big to get little features that used to be in iMovie, sorry.

'09 is still a huge improvement on '08 though.

9. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

i.e.:

10. alansky macrumors member

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the link. i'll get it while its hot!

12. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

Respectfully, I challenge anyone "new" to video editing to pick up iMovie 08 and figure it out within a day.

It is not just far less featured than 6 HD, but twice as hard to use. Even a noob would fine a Timeline more intuitive than "clips". (i still can't even fathom it, a year later...) iMovie 08 is a fail of epic proportions, put lightly.

09 has incredible, breakthrough features, added to a pisspoor app. Nothing more. That makes it better, clearly. Thats all, however.

13. Will : Hi ! macrumors member

That's just an update for those who installed iMovie HD 6 from the iLife '06 disc (the download is 7 MB - the full iMovie 6.0.4 download of iLife '08 users is 154 MB).

14. rth231 macrumors regular

Still available for download...

It's still there, just "hidden"... GET it before its GONE!

15. seashellz macrumors 6502

is there a standalone 6.03?
    becuz the requirement to update 6 to 03 is 6.02 -where is it?-I checked VT
    lets hope 6.03 doesnt tell us not 'for this computer'
    sfunny-I got a slide in iLife 2008 with my Intel iMac 14 months ago

And i was trying reinstall it recently when i got a 'disc not made for this computer' message
    when I was using 10.4 it did;
    its OK -was a pain in the ass doing 9 updates-now I do only 2-I hacked a later version of iL08 from a recent 10.5 grey disc

16. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

My first thought was that 1 million Mac users were going to download iMovie HD 6 today even though many of them wouldn't know what to do with it. ;)

No doubt with a trojan or two for good measure. :eek:

17. Sabon macrumors regular

I restored it from Time Machine

Once I realized that iMovie '06 was gone from my computer I went and looked in the Applications folder in TimeMachine and quickly restored it.

Note that SO FAR I'm not sure if I need it. But then I really haven't gotten into anything too heavy yet so I'm making sure it is still around just in case.

One thing I don't know about is whether it is compatible with the newest version of iDVD. I don't see why not though since they didn't seem to do anything but change the version number. Ok, I guess they did something, but did it mess with iMovie '06? I don't know.

18. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Shame that they have done this (remove it for download). I used 06 a lot for presentations and found 08 to be seriously wanting. Haven't tried 09 yet but like others on this thread, I may go directly to FCE...

19. chillywilly macrumors 6502a

chillywilly

I never liked iMovie 08 and have attempted using it several times with no success. I mean, unless I'm missing something, there's a lot of features that iMovie 06 had that iMovie 08 didn't: drag and drop videos into anywhere on the iMovie 08 screen, no timeline.

I'm more curious to find out if iMovie 06 will work with iMovie 09.

My move to FCE 4 is in progress, but I still need iMovie 06 for some older and smaller and quicker projects.

20. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

21. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

nah now that doesnt even work now.

22. spydr macrumors 6502

spydr

I wonder if anyone tried '09 and still thinks 06 is better and went back to it.

23. RRutter macrumors 6502

Exactly. EVERY piece of at least minimally popular software is still at at least one place on the internet no matter what, really.

iMovie 06 HD will always be on the internet, because of the way apple perfected it.

24. Sabon macrumors regular

I wonder if anyone tried '09 and still thinks 06 is better and went back to it.

I haven't had it long enough to know.

Keep in mind that I was into a project for two weeks on iMovie '08 before I realized in the final processing that iMovie '08 just wasn't going to cut it. I ended up having to completely start from scratch with iMovie '06 which really frustrated me.

At this point I'm not sure if iMovie '09 is anything but a movie editor for "Little Timmy's" video that mom and dad will put up on their YouTube site. That's not what I'm into so iMovie '09 may or may not be for me. I just don't know yet.

Why two weeks? Because I only have a limited amount of time to work on some projects as there are too many other demands on my time. Plus it was a two hour play that a nephew of my wife's was in. They wanted me to edit it, put in titles and chapters and I was stupid enough, distracted enough actually, to test out everything before I got as far as I did.

So how did the final product come out? iMovie '06 is amazing. With the school's permission I made copies for everyone that was in the play and an extra copy for each family. Complete with custom label (meaning custom picture of each actor) on the cover of each DVD (one DVD for first act and one DVD for second act in two act play). I used acrylic to seal the labels.

Everyone that got them thought my brother-in-law and sister-in-law paid a production company to make the DVDs. I just wish I hadn't wasted two weeks on a product I didn't realize wasn't enough.

Why not use Final Cut Express? Well, for one, I only do a few of these a year for them and each update is $199. And it isn't like iMovie '06 wasn't up to the task. It very much was (iDVD could be better ...) so I never had a reason to get Final Cut Express.

Is iMovie '09 up to the task? Does it have chapters now? Are they easy to enter like with iMovie '06? What about transitions? What about rolling credits which were good for a five actor play in iMovie '08 as long as you had no supporting cast or people creating the sets or the director and band and ... I haven't had time to check out iMovie '09 well enough yet.

25. jtbell macrumors newbie

Yes, has anyone installed iMovie 06 on a Mac that has a previously-installed iMovie 09? I seem to remember that the iMovie 06 (iMovie HD) that Apple made available for download checks for a previously-installed iMovie. The big question is, whether it checks specifically for iMovie/iLife 08, or whether it also accepts iMovie/iLife 09?