iMovie HD 6 No Longer Available For Download

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 26, 2009.

1. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

I know this is a long shot but is there anywhere I still can get it?:(

2. chillywilly macrumors 6502a

chillywilly

Most of the sites that it's been uploaded to have taken it down (at least that's been my experience, both in accessing it and having uploaded it).

Wish there was a place I could point you to it. What does Google searching for the .dmg file show? Any current results?

3. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

come on apple! some of us consumers wanna edit movies in a logical, linear fashion!:eek:

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Then buy an editor - they offer two to choose from.

5. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

yes i know. im just complaining. ;)

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68030

Le Big Mac

Are there (legitimate) copies of iLife 06 on eBay?

7. awpitchy macrumors member

awpitchy

8. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Question, I have iMovie 6 now but if I was to buy iLife 09, I hear that iMovie 09 wouldn't overwrite my iMovie 6 copy is this true?

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I know '08 doesn't, and neither should '09. You can always put 'o6 into a folder before installing '09.

10. AFABS macrumors regular

AFABS

phewww...thankfully i got a copy a little while back

11. huntercr macrumors 65816

There might be, but there are also many for sale on Amazon.
    Here and here.

12. GORKofYORK macrumors newbie

Customer Loyalty, But No Company Loyalty

CUSTOMER LOYALTY? WHY?

Apple relies on consumer 'loyalty' to sell their products so they can make money. That is why I am disturbed that Apple seems to have NO 'loyalty' to their long term, faithful customers in regard to iMovie. I bought a new MacBook in December thinking it would have the same, or better features than iMovie 06. But iMovie08 is horrible. Audio editing is pathetic. As a long time film and video editor I find iMovie08 extremely laborious to use. And no, I will not fall for Apple's ploy and buy iMovie09. That is what they are expecting. That is why they made iMovie08 so horrible. I no longer trust Apple to do what is 'right'.

It is sad how Apple deliberately destroyed iMovie06 by stripping it of features and then relabeling it as iMovie08. And to further drive a stake in their customers' hearts they stopped allowing downloads of iMovie06. This move was intentional, and it was motivated by greed.

It is sad when companies like Apple think only of short-term profits and not long-term gains. This mutant philosophy permeates the corporate culture in America where customer satisfaction is becoming non-existent. Wake up Apple and start to think of customers again or you will end up with no people loyal to your brand. By embracing your philosophy of getting as much money short term as you can you will certainly be sacrificing future sales. I know I will definitely not remain loyal to a company that doesn't care about its customers.

13. niconico macrumors newbie

hellp

any conclusions on where i can find imovie hd 06 just got a new mac laptop and settled down with new fottage to edit and found that monstrosity imovie09. have they dumbed it down so that we have to buy fcpro. grrr...if you have a copy is it small enough to email? can think of something good to swap for it? will try my best.:D

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

lol man its like a 50mb file JUST for the application.. i dont think any email clients let you send over 20mb max

15. amicusqt macrumors newbie

amicusqt

Hmmm - I found this discussion after an hour or so of googling re the various versions of iLife. I was about to go purchase iLife 9 for the iMovie component, when i found out it only supports G5's. (I've got PPC G4's - one iMac 15" flat panel & two eMacs + many G3's - which is what happens when you've got 4 kids under 18 - and you pick them up here and there, and even for free- but I"m trying to upgradeus all to G$'s - pref the flat panels; just LOVE 'em)

So far all my reading has led me to understand that I need to get a copy of iLife 6, to appropriate the iMovie HD 6.

But I just can't find one yet in eBay for OZ - so I'm wondering if any of you would know someone from whom I could purchase a used and/or unwanted iLife '06.

I live in Perth, Western Australia.

Gregg :) amicuset@bigpond.com

16. mmmichaels macrumors newbie

Yet Apple were happy to hand out free copies of this but when it's mirrored at another place it's not right. Personally I think that's a load of bollo**s. Maybe if they actually kept it on their website people wouldn't have to resort to these means. If you can't buy it anymore, can't download it off their website, then where else are you supposed to get it?

17. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

its apples software. they can do what ever they want.

18. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You're not supposed to get it anymore. They offered it because people were unhappy with 08. When 09 came out, they decided to no longer offer it. Their software, their choice. It is two versions old.

19. mmmichaels macrumors newbie

I agree, yet it's still arguably the best version of iMovie to come out. Sounds like they're starting to act like windoze a bit.

20. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

it sounds like you're starting to act like criminal:p

21. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Because they don't allow you to download an old version of software?

iMovie 09 is much better, in a number of ways, than 06 - and it supports many more cameras and codecs. Try importing AVCHD into iMovie HD.

If you need a pro video editor - it's time for FCE.

22. mmmichaels macrumors newbie

Haha, call me Mac the Ripper! lol Nah I wouldn't want to be a criminal, I'm just providing the information. Plus, I wouldn't have to act like this is they respected their customers and the loyalty that we've shown them for years.

Still. Unless someone comes up with a more stable, better genre of computing equipment, that's life.

I agree in terms of compatibility, but functions within the video editing suite don't compare. 06 was a lot more user friendly also.

23. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

they did show loyalty. they offered the old version until they could release a new version that had all the missing features.

24. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Only for people that have used other NLEs before. For home users (the target audience of iMovie), it had a steep learning curve.

EDIT: Use multi quote [​IMG] rather than double posting.

25. mmmichaels macrumors newbie

True. And I do use iMovie 09 because of the compatibility but I never edit in it, I used to use 06, however I've since switched to Premiere Pro yet for the little quick jobs I tome to tome still use 06