iMovie HD 6 No Longer Available For Download

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 26, 2009.

1. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Glad I downloaded it when I did. The direct download link doesn't work anymore.

2. cash4chaos macrumors member

cash4chaos

Cool just got ilife 09

Up to date program rocks !

3. CharlieZ macrumors newbie

iMovie HD 6 installer also accepts iMovie/iLife 09?

Yes, I specifically asked an Apple Store online rep before I ordered the new Mac Box Set last month (OS 10.5.6, iLife 09, and iWork 09), and she checked with a support engineer and received confirmation. Unfortunately, I waited until I completed the upgrade before trying to download the installer (stupid!) and now it's gone.

<<request for copy of download removed>>

Charlie Z

4. chlorinedream macrumors newbie

Is there anyway to still get iMovie HD 6? I recently had to do a reinstall and forgot to download this while I could from the apple site. the newer version is horrible.

5. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I recently bought myself a PowerMac G4 MMD dual 1.25Ghz.

When I nuked the drive, realised that iMovie 08 and 09 would not work and couldn't find my iLife 06 box. Instead, I dragged it over from my Macbook. Works a charm!

6. CharlieZ macrumors newbie

Well, darn - the download worked just fine, thanks again to a fellow MacRumors forum member. But contrary to what the Apple Store online rep told me last month, the installer did NOT recognize my iLife 09 installation as being valid/qualified for installation of iMovie HD 6. Maybe I'll contact Apple again, but it looks like I may just have to buy a copy of iLife 06 on eBay. (Think I've seen it for under $40, so that's not SO bad...)

Charlie Z

7. chillywilly macrumors 6502a

chillywilly

Wow. So it's looking like the iMovie HD 06 download is only going to work alongside iLife 08. That's sad if that's the case. Guess I'll be holding off upgrading to iLife 09 until I can get myself completely off iMovie 06.

It's that timeline that makes it useful for me. I'm in the process of moving everything over to Final Cut Express 4, but there's still times when iMovie 06 is useful for smaller projects I can crank out quickly.

8. alltheanimals macrumors newbie

Installing iMovie HD 6 from the disc?

When my hard drive failed last year they thoughtfully "upgraded" me to iLife 08. I still have my original system install discs for 06, so I tried doing a custom install of just iMovie 06. It didn't do anything, so I've cleaned out all the iMovie 08 files, prefs, the app itself, and tried to re-install 06, but nothing happens. It says the installation is successful, but it only actually installs the themes. Any help here?

=====
    nevermind, found the answer here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1523074

9. j5045096 Guest

My new MBPro came with iLife 08 and then a drop in disc for iLife 09. As soon as I figured out iMovie 06 HD didn't work with iLife 09 I uninstalled it and put 08 on there. iMovie 09 does not fix any of the things I hated about iMovie 08. Very frustrating, considering they had it right (at least for me) with 06. Still don't get the logic of removing the Timeline.

10. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Imovie06 HD does work with ilife 09...you just need to rename imovie 06 hd so that it doesnt say Imovie, but rename it to something like iMovie HD....I'm running both on my computer right now.

11. j5045096 Guest

I'm assuming you installed iLife 06 or 08 first, then installed iLife 09?

12. chillywilly macrumors 6502a

chillywilly

Me neither. The timeline is the key to editing, at least for me it is.

Is iMovie HD 06 installed in it's own folder under Applications - iMovie (previous version)?

13. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

That's the way it's installed on mine, exactly. And the app file is not called iMovie HD 06, just iMovie HD (same as version 5.) The version is 6.0.4 (after the update download from Apple.)

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm pretty sure I had iMovie HD 6 somewhere on my external HD, but I can't seem to find it; I've had iLife '08 and recently upgraded to iLife '09, so do you think it may have been updated and uninstalled? :confused:

15. fatespawn macrumors member

fatespawn

Just read this thread and thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I just got a new mac with iLife 09 preinstalled, of course. My old computer had iLife 06 which I purchased as an upgrade at some point. I just dragged the iMovie HD.app from my old applications folder to my new applications folder and they live pretty happily side by side.

16. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

17. j5045096 Guest

enough what? it has no timeline.

18. millerjouni macrumors newbie

Wow. I bought my macbook pro about 6 months ago. The main reason I bought it was for imovie. Coming from PC I used Pinnacle studio and wanted a laptop that would have the power and simple timeline style video editing abilities. Just finished doing all the reading about this and I am pissed to say the least. imovie 08 is crap, period. I would have spent the money on a pc laptop if I knew imovie 06 wasn't on my mac.

I didn't know much about this until I tried to make a quick video and figured I'd be able to pick it up quickly this month....um no.

Anyways just wanted to put my two bits in from someone that didn't have the bias of using 06 before. Junk junk junk. Now there is only one other option :)

19. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

iMovie 06 doesn't work with DRM'd iTunes songs anymore... it just says that your computer isn't authorized.

20. xgsdx macrumors newbie

So there's no way to get iMovie HD 6 any more?

21. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No

22. jdechko macrumors 68040

Honestly, I love what they did with iMovie '08, and I will be excited when I finally get to try out '09. I have only ever made quick movies of my son using Windows Movie Maker, which took way longer than iMovie.

But what I did like about '08 was when I was working for Apple, it was extremely easy to demo to customers. I could sit there and talk to them for about 5 minutes and in that time built a custom DVD using iMovie + iDVD with a birthday video clip and a slideshow from iPhoto. That's why iMovie is what it is.

23. I Am Steve Jobs macrumors member

Yes. You can. :rolleyes:

24. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not legally, and MR does not condone illegal downloading of software.

25. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

does on mine, your computer must have been de-authorised.