iMovie HD 6 No Longer Available For Download

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 26, 2009.

1. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The OS is designed to be extremely lightweight, and can therefore support a lot more systems than processor/RAM intensive apps like iMovie.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yup true. ahwell.. the only thing stopping the G4s are the processor (apparently).

3. chillywilly macrumors 6502a

chillywilly

If I understand a few things correctly, the iMovie 06 download that Apple offered was specifically for iLife 08 customers to address issues about missing features that were not in iMovie 08.

Without any restrictions, anyone, including those who were not iLife 08 users, could download the iMovie 06 from Apple's site.

Here's the confusion: Now that Apple has removed it from their site, redistributing this once freely available download is now considered "pirating". I understand this is Apple's product and they can do whatever they want with it, and they can do what they want with it since they are the owner of the product. I also understand that they want people to use iMovie 08/09 or move up to FCE or FCP.

But the question lingers: if it only works with iLife 08 (the jury is still out for iLife 09 users), and there are current customers that need this previous version and there are those who, for various reasons, did not get the download properly from Apple's site, what options do these people have? Any option at all?

There are many reasons why some of us still use iMovie 06, or at least need to have it around. For me, it's many, many projects that are still in iMovie 06 that I don't need to convert to FCE that I may need to go back to and export to a Quicktime movie (different resolution settings, etc).

I'm not asking Apple to hang onto an older version of a piece of software forever, but if those of us that are trying to help out fellow iMovie 06 users can't because redistributing this one freely available software is now considered pirating, there needs to be at least one option that can be made available.

4. HudsonsHalfHour macrumors member

I still have mine, is it simply a case of copying it from one mac to another? (getting rid of old mac mini).

5. chillywilly macrumors 6502a

chillywilly

Nope, you need to install it. I've tried dragging it to another Mac and it doesn't run properly (at least that's been my experience).

The download for iMovie 06 is for iLife 08 users.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Since iLife '08 has been replaced, the version prior to that is no longer available. The download was available for more than a year, if you didn't get it then and archive it - I don't know what to tell you.

7. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

Ok, I don't know if this has been previously discusses or not, but I came across this thread while searching for something else.

I had been told in the past to use iMovie '06 back when I had '08. I reinstalled '06 from the discs that came with my MacBook then upgraded back to '08 thinking I would have both. When I opened iMovie, '08 opened, so I just thought it was gone.

While looking through my Applications folder to see why iDVD didn't upgraded when I installed iLife '09, I found a folder called iMovie (previous version). Inside was iMovie '06 HD. I don't know if it came from iLife '09, from '08, or after I upgraded again to '08. I did have a pretty big updated for iMovie this morning, but I'm not sure if that's just an older update that it just noticed (I installed iLife '09 Sunday night before going to bed).

Just throwing this out, if anyone wants to experiment with it.

8. chillywilly macrumors 6502a

chillywilly

So are you saying that you have both iLife 09 and iMovie 06 on the same system? How does iMovie 06 run?

9. hak187 macrumors member

I have both on my machine as well. Imovie 06 runs fine.

10. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

Yes, I have both...haven't really had a chance to play with '06, been too busy with work.

11. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

I just finished making a video project with iMovie 8 (from iLife 09). It takes a bit of getting used to. But once I was comfortable with it (after an hour or so), I found I could get far more work done much more quickly. And I didn't find any compromises; it actually has more features and flexibility than iMovie 6. But it's a whole different way to edit video. I think Apple got it right with this version.

12. chillywilly macrumors 6502a

chillywilly

Great to hear that both do work after upgrading to iMovie 09.

13. Insomniak macrumors newbie

Plugins Plugins Plugins

I'm surprised that in 6 pages of posts, I only saw one real post about the main reason I think that iMovie 8/9 stink... Plugins!

I own the original version of FCP and also Final Cut Studio (latest). I used ot own a Canon XL1 camera and loved doing "movies" with that combo....

"Most" consumer don't make movies. They shoot video with a small camcorder or camera that does video and they do it in small segments.

iMovie is GREAT an piecing these together into something you can send to grandma, post on YouTube, whatever. I've had 14 digital cameras since 1996 (Sony Mavica anyone?) and a few camcorders. I have TB's of pics and video and sometimes I'll whip something together of the kids or a vacation. iMovie is great for this.

I spent $100's of $$ on GeeThree plugins for iMovie and honestly it made it one of the most amazing apps anywhere. As the earlier post mentioned, the stuff you could do was just amazing. iMovie 8 came out and "POOF" all gone. No more. I recently bought a MBP 17 and decided to try out iMovie 9 and it is very different but I like some of the concepts. The ability to "scan" through the clips is great, much easier to find the shot that I'm looking for.

My main complaint is the lack of plugin support. I spent a lot of money (probably about $400-500) and that software is no longer of use. They made iMovie something so much greater than it was by itself. For those users just upset about the timeline aspect, there are other video editing apps out there for the mac. They just cost money :)

I understand the need for progress and I don't fault Apple at all. They went a different direction AND they came out with FCE to offer users something less expensive.

Software is meant to evolve and it can't last forever.

14. iAlexG macrumors 6502a

I just got my mac and I think iLife is great lol

15. Philscbx macrumors regular

Philscbx

I too recently put iLife 09 on last years MacPro with iMovie update to 9.

I'm not sure where 'no time line' comments enters in here.
    I just did a huge project with it. An RC airshow in the Netherlands.
    All the clips can be selected individually and have their own time line.
    The edits cuts are quick.
    No transitions are added till all clips are edited first and saved.
    So far it's been flawless.

Background itunes can be added in, so I'm cool with that.

Back when I tried this on the older Powerbook G4, if you didn't save every step of the way, it crashed, now start over.

I'm still on the fence with FCP.
    Even on this site, too much whining that it's outdated.
    But what else is there?

No one makes a good point of what else to use on the Mac.
    But if FCP is the Mac choice, then I'll get it mostly for the special effects and dual screen view from what little I've played with it.

I'll take any advice seriously as I have a huge wedding to edit of 3 cameras running. Plus 2 running of reception.
    Thanks

16. paradoll macrumors newbie

I got my macbook last October when the aluminum bodies first came out, and I didn't get a chance to really play around with iMovie until school ended and summer started a few weeks ago. I realized how much iMovie 08 sucked (I'd rather use Windows Movie Maker...) and found out that 06HD wasn't available anymore either...

Are there any sources left? Anyone willing to share it?

I called apple support, got transferred to a number of different people, and I got told that because of iLife09, 06 wouldn't be available from apple, and the only thing I could do was to look for another source online through version tracker or Google....I don't really want to go out and spend $100 quite yet on iLife 09.

This is so frustrating. :(

17. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

Alright, I own iLife 09 and my cousin has the iLife 08, I recently got the iMovie HD 6 installer, and when i tried installing it, it says i have to have iLife 08 installed, I read that one of the users who posted in this thread has iLife 09 installed and also iMovie HD.

My question is, HOW?
    how is it that you made that work? :confused:
    Do i need to remove iLife 09? ---> then install iLife 08' ---> then install iMovie HD6, then remove iLife 08 ---> then install iLife 09 again?

Thanks for anyone who can help me with this one.
    I'm a youtuber and I really miss using iMovie HD, iMovie 09 is good, but Effects on HD is really awesome.

18. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I had HD installed > Installed '08 > Installed '09.

When I installed '08, it created an iMovie (Old version) folder - which '09 doesn't touch during install.

19. paradoll macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm a youtuber too and I want iMovie HD... how did you get a hold of the HD 6 installer?

20. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It may have come with their Mac, it came with mine.

Beyond that, see:

21. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

Ahhh thanks for the info. So can I un-install my ilife 09 then install '08 then imovie hd then upgrade to 09?
    Sorry for all the questions, just making sure before i do it.

Awesome man, Check my channel out and subscribe (On my signature)
    I got it hehe lol :D downloaded it from someone else harddrive... lol haha

22. paradoll macrumors newbie

Sorry about breaking the rules, I guess I wasn't aware. But I did call Apple support and they encouraged me to find another source for downloading it.

If it's already on the Mac, where would such a file be located? I got the aluminum macbook with iLife 08 from October 2008...

23. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It would only be on your Mac already if it came with iLife '06.

24. jsandler macrumors newbie

I Found A Way To Do It!

If you have a mac currently on Leopard, and want the old iMovie HD back, follow these easy steps...

1. Install all of your iLife '06 applications onto the computer, simply put the disk in and run the install

2. After all have been installed iDVD is not going to be working, because it will not interface with the old iMovie for some reason.

3. Go into your Applications folder and drag out iMovie HD to the Desktop, and put it on a CD/JumpDrive/External.

4. Get out the Leopard install disk and put it in, to re-install the iLife '08 software.

5. Once all that is done loading, restart the computer. (should automatically)

6. Plug the JumpDrive/CD/External back into the computer and drag iMovie HD to the Applications folder, and make sure it runs.

7. This should work fine and be able to export to iDVD.

8. Now you have both iMovies, and enjoy! It worked on both of my OS X Leopard computers.

By the way I'm 16 years old, and i figured this out on my own! =)
    If you have any questions, contact me via email at azoutlaws9@yahoo.com

25. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That method works because you have iLife '06.