iMovie HD 6 No Longer Available For Download

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 26, 2009.

1. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Exactly. It may not make as much sense to you and me, but to my parents or grandparents, it makes a lot more sense.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I have iMovie HD and 09 as well as FCE on my Mac. I haven't used HD in a long time, iMovie 09 is literally drag and drop, and it offers to-the-frame accuracy if you need it. The advanced features are there, but they aren't staring the new users directly in the face.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Most of you are aware of our policy on promoting or linking to pirated software, even in the context of "Robin Hood" sort of acts like this. Thank you all for your support of our community standards.

For everyone else: Do not post links to torrents, rapidshare accounts, or other sites that re-distribute commercial software without authorization. This includes linking to downloads of iMovie 06 from people other than Apple. We apologize but remind you that this is against the rules of MacRumors' forums.

Along the same lines, do not solicit anyone for information on how to get pirated copies of software on Macrumors, either.

Thanks again.

4. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

thank you so much for putting a stop to this.

5. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

TBH, I've not read the whole thread, but it is frustrating.
    I just upgraded to a Mac Pro from a G4 Dual Optical (mirror doored).
    Before Christmas I bought Leopard and iLife '08 (legitimately) and then found that Apple had put iMovie 6HD up on their website, for people like me, which was I thought was very very cool indeed.

Now I've reinstalled the Leopard OS and iLife '08 on the old G4, so it's nice and clean for the next owner, then I go back to the Apple site and it's Gone!! :mad:

I didn't keep the old iMovie 6HD .dmg, I guess not many people do, and now it's something I've learned!

Tbh, I've tried looking for the .dmg for 7 hours now and I've given up!!
    The next owner of shall just have to go without!

And now this whole experience has left me frustrated and annoyed that Apple should do this!
    Yes, I appreciate it's in order to sell iLife '09, but what does one do in this situation? (What do the old G4 users do?)

Over the last 10 years I've spent more than £20,000 ($30,000 - €22,000) on Apple products - it's a no wonder that some people complain about no customer loyalty!

*Rant Over*

*Sulks and steps off soap box*

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Just curious, how long do they have to keep it up to remain "loyal?"

Aug. 8, 2007 - it was made available.

Jan. 27, 2009 - it was made unavailable.

It was available for a year and a half, I think that is reasonable.

7. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

I shall give away my old G4 to an local community infant school for free, in a world of Windows, I hope that I may turn some of these kids to the joys of working with an Apple and iMovie is just part of it.
    I'm frustrated now, it's just one of cool applications that the machine wont have!
    It's a rock solid machine that will be perfect for them, and now I feel it's devalued, Not financially of course, as I'm donating it.

It's just losing a cog in the wheel, they you can't get anymore!

8. naman34 macrumors member

funny how imovie is being compared to fcp!!!!!!
    imovie is amateur editing for something like home movies, and fcp is the best pro software!

9. amicusqt macrumors newbie

amicusqt

Apple Backward Compatibility

Personally, having been an apple user since 1986 with Performa 580CD, and having acquired many 2nd hand machines as my family expanded, I find that Apple has been very very good in the area of Backward compatibility. Hey I can even put Leopard on a G3 that originally came out with the first OSX!!!!!

So you might need to get a larger HD - and it might be a wee bit slow on a 400Mhz - but compare that to Microsoft's track record of BACKWARD COMPATABILITY; a bit like giving up smoking where you need a 'patch' every 24 hours. {Disclaimer - no i don't smoke - and would never ever allow a smoker near my macs!!! :( )

With foreSight (different from iSight) - built-in Infrared receivers that came out with the BondiBlues, could have been kept in, and might have proven useful today - but won't wii and bluetooth kill that potential, just like a Zip Drive began to replace a floppydrive, and now has been replaced by ThumbDrives etc.

Apple could have killed off 400mbs Firewire sooner; especially with USB 2 (apart from booting from Firewire needs) - but it looks like Firewire 400 has only just dwindled off with early 2009 machines.

So I'd say Apple has done exceeding well.

Back in the 90's when I was at Uni; I used allthree types - Amiga, PC's & Macs - and Macs were the most dummy-friendly so I've stuck with Apple and not been majorly disappointed.

Anyway there's my two cents worth.

G :)

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

amicusqt: very interesting post but im not sure what this has to do with iMovie 6 :confused:

IF you can still find iMovie 6 then it will work on basically any computer you can throw at it (if its running 10.4/10.5) - the main issue here is that its not available. that doesnt really relate to backwards compatibility, i guess it would be relevant if iMovie9 wouldnt run on an older computer (checks compatible computers for latest ilife) -- hhmm ok it needs 10.5.6...

bummer :| -- but it can still run on G4 computers(faster then 867MHz) - they are a good couple of years old now.

11. amicusqt macrumors newbie

amicusqt

Ways to find iLife '06

Okay, apart from a message on forums like this - here's some others:

eBay - if too expensive on USA eBay (like for me with freight and exchange rate) - try your local eBay.

Gumtree - many places around the world have Gumtree Advertisements - I've actually just placed a wanted ad in my local Gumtree.

Quokka - this might only be an Aussie thing - but its an advertising paper that comes out weekly here in Perth. Western Australia - or like Classified Ads in local newspapers.

Local Mac Resellers - sometimes these smaller Apple approved repairers will have older stock of Apple software.

Local MAC Communities - get into their webpages, find a contact email address, and go ask.

Good Will Hunting

12. amicusqt macrumors newbie

amicusqt

oh DoFoT9 - Hi - hope it's a lovely day in the state of my birth!!

My post on backward compatibility was merely me wanting to give Apple some good press amidst all the complaints going on on this thread - that's all

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i noticed you were an aussie from the last post you did!

oh. my. god! today is the MOST PERFECT day i have seen all year! its amazing! ill take some pictures if you really want hahahahaha!

why arent you in the good state now??? (boo)

aahhh well fair enough. i didnt realise that hah! great post :)

14. amicusqt macrumors newbie

amicusqt

DoFoT9 - is your username like R2D2 C3P0 DrWHO Q K9 - PITY YOU CAN'T have a number plate that long.

Hey I want a picture of the whole state - does iSight do wide-angle??? Especially The Oaks outside of Camden - where I lived as wee thing in a country town that is now a suburb of Sydney I'm sure.

How do I adjust my profile to include email stuff etc - can't find the button.

Gregg :)

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

lol no my username is my 'codename' for my band. band name = "Freaks on Table 9", im a drummer. so "Drummer of Freaks on Table 9" = DoFoT9.

lol no isight doesnt do wide-angle, especially not that wide :p

im in the tweed area, kingscliff to be precise. awsome day 2day.

if you wanna chat more PM me.

oh and to change any information hit "Quicklinks" but the top menu bar type thing in macrumors and go to "Edit options" / "edit signature" etcetc..

16. jeli macrumors newbie

On '08, I was completely unable to figure out how to splice images over video and keep the soundtrack flowing. on 06 it was a snap.

17. Blue Fox macrumors 6502a

Blue Fox

......so everyone doesn't like iMovie 08/09 because it runs a bit different? Once you watch a couple of the free "how-to" video's on Apple's website, the new iMovie's are really leaps and bounds ahead of iMovie 6......and is much easier and quicker edit. That's what Apple does.....they innovate. There can't be innovation without some sort of change. I welcome the new innovations to iMovie 08/09.......and I find myself making quick edits using that versus Final Cut Studio I paid so dearly for. :D

18. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

No,not just that, there's also no iMovie in iLife '09 for the Power Mac G4's

19. chillywilly macrumors 6502a

chillywilly

To this seasoned iMovie 06 user (and now a coming-up-to-speed FCE 4 user), I tried the videos out on Apple's site in learning iMovie 08 and it was still difficult.

I think if you get used to using the timeline that iMovie 06, FCE and FCP use, it's a hard transition into moving to iMovie 08/09.

Maybe I just need to watch the videos again. This is the link I used again - http://www.apple.com/findouthow/movies/imovie08.html

20. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

So all new software should be able to run on 4-year-old, obsolete hardware?

21. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes!!! :cool:

22. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Oops. My mistake, that machine you referenced was from 2002 ... 7-year-old obsolete hardware.

23. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ah.. hmmm.. thats a bit tougher. if the older computer can run the current OS then i dont think its obsolete.. if it sits at 10.4.9 or something then its kind of pushing it..

24. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

But there is no rational reason to expect the third version of iMovie AFTER the G4 was discontinued (maybe the 4th after the PowerMac dropped the G4 for the G5) to support it.

25. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

no your right.

but if the computer can support the required OS then i see no reason why the software wouldnt be able to run happily on it, albeit a tad slower (in this case anyway - trying to run FCP or something would be a different story).