Importing iTunes library into Catalina's Apple Music?

Discussion in 'macOS Catalina (10.15)' started by Jas-Singh685, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Jas-Singh685 macrumors newbie

So recently installed the latest Catalina beta public 4 onto a separate drive just to explore and test out. Loving the OS so far, and while I will miss iTunes, the new change will be interesting.

I'm having trouble importing my iTunes library though. Apparently an upgrade from Mojave will automatically convert the library to an Apple Music suitable format, but what about importing after a clean install?

The formats seem different, iTunes uses .itl and Music uses .musicdb. Do I need to re-add all my music and re-build the library from scratch? Adding the .itl into Music does....nothing.

Thanks in advance!

2. harriska2 macrumors 65816

harriska2

3. shafez macrumors member

shafez

Just go to file,add to librrary and go to the music folder on mojave drive,itunes and selct itunes media and all your files will be imported even the home videos.

4. rishi.talreja macrumors newbie

rishi.talreja

I don’t think that retains the play counts and some other info. Have you tried it to test if this is identical to when it imports automatically on installing Catalina?

5. shafez, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019

shafez macrumors member

shafez

I am not bothered about any statistics in itunes. All I care about is import my library and this did the job .

6. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

I also did a clean install on an external SSD - and did not use migration since there are a lot apps on my Mojave working version that are not going to be possible to migrate ( ie 32 bit etc.)

I was able to import the Mojave (iTunes) library by placing a copy of the library.itl in the music folder - used the "option key" when opening the Music app - it does ask to "Create or Choose" a library (just like iTunes)- so I selected the old library and the Music App then asked to save as a new "Music 1" library

Once I did that - it imported all the history, with play counts, ratings, genres and all the other info seems to be there intact :)

Too bad there is no Column View :(

I am hoping they put the column view back (upcoming versions?) and then there will not be much difference over the iTunes version - although I do find it more set up for streaming music from the apple store than for playing my existing music files.

7. harriska2 macrumors 65816

harriska2

How is itunes even useable without column view? Do you have a screenshot of the closest approximation to the mojave version?

8. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

Yeah this a major drawback and hard to believe :eek:

I am hoping this is not the final version or direction they want to go with it - the column browser is essential in my opinion for a large music collection. That said, maybe I have not found out how to use it properly yet - but the column browser was the main way I used to browse the music files.

On a side note - I noticed the Music App is downloading the artwork again from scratch - so I will let it run for a while and see how the Artwork looks after it has a chance to update the songs with the artwork.

here is a screen shot

music-catalina-B5.png

9. harriska2 macrumors 65816

harriska2

Clunky

10. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

yeah - maybe there will be an update with a new browser/viewer before the final release of Catalina