In 5 years, will the iPad be viewed a Success or a Failure?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bobob, Jan 30, 2010.

?

1. Success

183 vote(s)
    88.0%
  2. Failure

25 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

This thread is exclusively for people to state their predictions to the question posed in the thread title:

Please note:

• It is not asking whether you plan to buy one or not
    • It is not based on how happy or mad you are with the 1st generation's features
    • It is not asking whether your a dyed in the wool Apple fanboy or a MS supporter for life
    • It is not asking what you think about Flash
    • It is not a poll on whether you prefer LED or E-Ink
    • It is not a forum for you to transfer all the pain or joy that has built up in your personal life for the past few years

It is a simple poll asking when we look back on the iPad on January 30th, 2015, will we view it as a success or a failure?

For those with the courage in their conviction to publicly declare their prediction, please add a one word post with your verdict (Success or Failure) after voting in the poll.

This thread will then be hermetically sealed in a time capsule buried deep beneath the global headquarters of MacRumors and won't be dug up till just before the big thread revival celebration five short years down the road.

See you at the party!

:)

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

it'll probably be a hobby like appletv, if they don't open it up a bit......

but who knows

4. ukcolinr macrumors regular

I think it has real potential :) I voted success! Can't wait to see what the developers come up with! I think it's a turning point, whether or not you like the iPad, it's generated more media attention than any other Tablet I've seen, and even negative attention brings the product into the public eye! I'm excited :)

5. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

It will be considered the pioneering device for a whole new market segment that is at the forefront of modern computer going forward...or something like that...

Plus it will have been successful in killing flash so that alone will be worth it.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Success.

Perhaps not quite up to the iPod, but it will be another industry changer. I predict that over the next few weeks, there'll be a shift in opinion from some of the naysayers as they figure out what the iPad will do. As was pointed out in another thread, this is so much like when the iPod was released - many just didn't get what it was good for (myself included - and I haven't been without one since).

7. macfan881 macrumors 68020

Like Ive Stated before with every Big Apple Announcement There people that over react and then after revisions People act like they cant Live with out the item. Here are a few examples

Switch to intel. intel is the devil apple will be done in 5 years etc etc.

iMac No Floppy discs USB only no other ports.

iPod only 5GB Expensive iTunes only is going to suck no Windows suport.

Iphone Edge only no mms Copy/paste no real 3rd party suport.

now with that said look how time has come and everyone praises these 4 things.

8. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

why five? the phone took 2 to become the killer of all cell phones.

9. bnerd macrumors regular

Nothing worthwhile comes easy ... Once the dust settles and the product improves this device will ultimately be a success.

I'll take it a step further .. I think the launch 60-90 days from now will also be a success and shock many people.

10. retroneo macrumors 6502a

I'll predict that iPad sales will begin to exceed Mac sales in 2011.

It will become Apple's dominant computing platform second to the iPhone.

I imagine there will be even larger iPads in the future too.

11. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I think all the noise on the internet (and these forums) is very similar to what it was when the iPhone was initially announced. Due to months and years of hype and rumor it just kind of disappointed. Everyone proclaimed it would fail and terrible it was. Everyone was concentrating on what it did wrong as opposed to what it did right. Not saying it wasn't deserved, the iPhone 2G isn't nearly the complete device that the iPhone 3G eventually became, but it was that let down that caused everyone to yell loud and passionately.

I ultimately believe that's exactly what is happening with the iPad as well. Yes it does some things wrong and people had high expectations which are now shattered, no doubt about it. But it also does many things right and while I haven't had the chance to actually use one, it seems that among people who have, there is a strong voice that "this feels right". And that's exactly, just like with the first iPhone, is what Apple will build on.

I thought it was very telling that this is running OS 3.2 and not 4.0. Many of the issues people are having (mainly multitasking) can be resolved via software. So I'm hoping that those rumors of 4.0 supporting multitasking are still true, whenever that may actually come out. Not having a camera right from the start seems like a "miss" to me but if rumors are to be believed, it is something Apple was working on and no doubt thought about. It will come in the second generation, there's no doubt in my mind. The lack of Flash support I attribute to Apple being a believer in web standards and on that front I completely stand behind them. Flash needs to die, even if that means that I can't watch Hulu on an iPad/iPhone then so be it.

Anyway, what it comes down to, in my opinion, is this: Apple will build on the successes of this device and if history is any indication, the second generation iPad will most likely get it "right". Over a 5 year span, I would guess that the iPad will ultimately be a success.

12. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

agreed. i think (notice how i said think, it's not a fact, just an opinion) it will take a couple generations of the iPad to be labeled as a successful product line, it will get better as things move along

13. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Well, I think success.

One thing for sure, it would be considered the first real Slate device.
    It would be remembered for being the best first. I don't know if it will always be the best, but right now, it is.

14. iPhilPHX macrumors regular

iPhilPHX

15. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

It'll have good initial sales numbers. But I don't think it will be as popular as the iPhone or iPod. Too many people like me. I have an iPhone and a laptop. I really have no need for a device in between. And the e-reader function alone is not enough of a reason for me to get it.

16. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

17. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

As much as I (and others) dislike it, I believe that it will be a success with the market.

18. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I think it will really become a staple item much like the iPod has. One day you expect every one to have an iPad in the living room to look up random things.

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

20. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I voted success with a small "s".

It will rank above Apple TV and the biggest LCD display at the time (which may be 35+ inches by then), but will rank below everything else they make.

I would only call it a failure if it was like the Cube which went into stores and back out, never to be seen again. :)

21. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

I'd like to clarify my position. In its current form, I have no need for it. I don't see Apple doing anything to it hardware or software-wise any time soon to change that.

That being said, if a third party came out with an app that was something that made me want the device, then I may look into it. But I see nothing right now that would make me want to get it.

Of course, if my school's ebook provider were to sign a contract with Apple, then I'll get it then.

22. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

SUCCESS!

See you guys in the future! WOOSH...........

23. sumzero macrumors member

sumzero

True there usually isn't anything such thing as bad publicity unless your in politics or Jay leno... his show is going to do terribly when he re-airs

24. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Jay will be fine after a few months.

I am starting to wonder if Apple may have misfired by announcing the device 60 or 90 days before release. Rather than letting people get their hands on it right away, they now get to listen to, from what I have seen, generally negative coverage about the device.

Of course, if the reviews were glowing, then it would have worked in Apple's favor. That's the risk you take, I guess.