In a Huge Mess With This MPB & My Torn Spinal Cord

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KJTMS, Aug 9, 2008.

1. KJTMS macrumors newbie

It said the title should be descriptive, so I hope I is. Please be gentle on me since I am using a voice-activated, straw-type speech recognizer and I am a new paraplegic. I was in a car accident about 2 months ago and it has changed my life forever. Still everything I do is like I have never done it before (except dealing with Apple's Reps) but I know you are not into the details about so I will go on. (they are important in helping me, so I will leave them here).

I asked my bro. to bring my MBP 2.4, C2D, 4gb RAM computer to the hospital once I was out of ICU. He went into my apt which was exactly the way it was last left the night I went out to head for the mountains to attend a campfire. he put it in the neoprene sleeve and laptop backpack and brought to to me into my new room at the hospital. The next day, I had the nurse help me et set-up (I was no unable to use my arms, neck but could turn m head, and had a ventilator to assist me in breathing.)

After 1 hour getting me set-up she opened the notebook and turned it on. I could tell something was wrong just the way it booted up but when it as fully booted up the display screen was cracked!. It was like a hammer mark as in the right corner and a large area of all whiteness with some color streaks 3/4 of the way down and a "normal" looking 1/4 (lower part) of the display was up. I was instantly totally freaked out but to the questions.

I did purchase the extended applecare. I had a brother call applecare but they had to talk to me and since I still have a tube in my neck in case I have a breathing emergency, I am not easily understood. The guy at applecare sounded like he thought the whole call was a joke. I asked my brother to call back and ask the next person what can be done.

the next person said bring it to an apple Store. My bother will not since he says h will not go through the madhouse at the mall, taking all his kids (no mom around) and getting off work. anyway, I have nobody to take it to this store.

I have looked and looked for e-mail support or e-mail addresses of executives to see if I can get somebody who would be open to really listening to my story and helping me get the notebook to apple to fix it (even if I have to pay for the broken or cracked screen), but there are a few other "minor" problems that I needed to get fixed before the accident.

I spent $3000 for everything, had it all set-up to the Base Station and was something that has tons of work, my life's personal docs and info on it, and really, is my lifeline to my life before the accident.

Does anybody know how I can contact somebody by e-mail since we have not found a person who will speak or help my brother, and a nurse about my options. I have no other family here and my brother finished medical school and is packing his kids up and moving away to another state. he will stay for a while until I get set in an extended care facility since I cannot go back to my work owning 2 fitness and wellness centers.

I apologize for going on and on but I hope the information I gave can help somebody help me. I need to find somebody who will arrange to pick up my notebook (I will get it all boxed up and ready for transportation. Well I will no but I will get somebody to).

Thanks and I apologize for being so long.

KJT

ADDED ABOUT 24 HOURS LATER (I THINK, BUT MY MEMORY IS NOT WHAT IS SHOULD BE YET) Reading this edit or add-on is inserted here so that unless you really want to read the Post, I am all set and do not need more help with this specific situation. What I had encountered about 7-10 months ago when I was thinking about purchasing a MacBook Pro and asking for some help, again has come back (by probably the same unhappy people who try hard to make everybody unhappy) to try and turn people away from helping me with some advise.

I learned when I first started using forums for some sound advice that some (too many) of the replies in these forums should just be passed right over. There are unhappy and mean people everywhere. When somebody makes such drastic interpretations (assumptions) from such a small amount of information, you know they are here most likely just to be mean and try to make others unhappy; just like all people unhappy and mean just as they are. Look at their Posts with that in view. If they want to deal with other techie people they should move on and look for them. I have no idea what they get out of assuming all kinds of info and trying had to bring other people down, which is where they are.

These types of replies (even in my condition) have no influence on me. Just pass them right by. I have had a PM from an Apple PR lady and my bro (who is right this very second taking up everything and going to the state of WA to start his medical practice) had a long talk with her and has me lined up with some help. I am grateful for the help he gave me.

Just know that people who are so mean and make themselves look like very unhappy people, are most likely just that. I feel best by just passing their reply (Post) right by and wish them the best. You know deep down inside they are very unhappy people.

One guy was correct. I was very stupid that night and made a huge mistake. My business was me and only me, but it was open for 9 years and I loved everyday. This is a new chapter in my life and I thank everyone who offered me some assistance.

What you give "out" to help a fellow human being will come back 100-fold. Again thanks for the help from all the sensitive and caring people!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm very sorry to hear about your accident and your situation. If you post what city you're in, perhaps there's a nearby "good samaritan" in the forums who could help out. Aside from that, there may be organizations who offer assistance to people with disabilities that you could email. Also, you might contact Apple to see if you can send it to them for repair. If so, they can probably arrange to have FedEx pick it up from you.

3. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Sorry to hear about your accident. I would imagine that dealing directly with apple is best but I do have one idea. Try to locate an authorized apple repair center. The one in my town does a lot of on site work. Probably with big systems that need minor work but like I was saying, they do make house calls. Just ask them to pick up your machine on one of their runs (hopefully and ideally). Our local guy loves warranty work. I'm sure it's good money.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would sent an email to sjobs[at]apple.com

You should introduce yourself, states the reason you are writing how the support did not take your condition seriously and that you are offended. Tell him you want the computer repaired or replaced and if he needs proof of your condition you are willing to provide it.

Indirectly suggest that you will tell everyone about the crappy support and computer, but don't state it directly.

You will get the support that you deserve from some who puts service first.

---

Also get well soon!

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

IIRC in the USA you have the option of mail-in (courier-in) service on Macs -- I know that isn't offered in Canada. I would have a helper call Applecare and ask directly about that service -- don't go into all the details right away, just establish that it is possible.

Or what Iknowyourider says - search 411.com for an authorized independent service provider and get them to deal with it for you.

6. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

i was under the impression that the warranty (including applecare?) didn't cover cracked or broken screens. that might be one of the issues you are having with getting it fixed?

edit: sorry missed the part about being willing to pay for it on the first read. carry on!

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Right, but he's willing to pay for a new screen if need be, just needs to get the silly thing looked at first.

KJTMS - actually your first order of business is to get someone with a Mac to come by and back all of your data off using Target Disk Mode... At this point an external USB/Firewire hard drive would be a decent investment for backing up all of your stuff. Another resource might be your local Macintosh Users Group.

*There's no guarantee when you send the machine in for service, that your data will be preserved.

Also: Good on you for getting up and running with the new interface. Keep working at it, and best wishes on getting strong.

8. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Although I sympathize with you for being in the physical state that you are in, we should all be thankful that you have survived.

Anyways, as others have suggested, I recommend you e-mailing sjobs@apple.com.

I know this might sound jerkish - but it's not - don't make your e-mail too long. State the facts briefly. Steve's replies are always super short. He doesn't want to read a whole story. Keep it short and sweet and you'll get what you want.

I'm sure I can speak for all of MR when I say...,best of luck!

9. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

Hello
    You could buy a screen off ebay and get someone you trust who knows a bit about this type of thing to try and replace the screen, will cost a lot less that having apple do it.
    As for your files I would get them off your macbook pro before sending it in to apple or repairing it yourself.
    Also as far as your back goes mate, medical advancements are coming fast.... you might find in a few years there are options open to you for better recovery. Wish you all the luck in the world mate.

10. KJTMS thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

I am not sure where to add my reply but thanks for yours. I am in Salt Lake City, UT. For the most part, if the call to applecare starts out like my several have, the rep seems to be immediately shut-off. I am assuming because I cannot talk. At the very best when I plug the trach tube and talk (even with an amplifier and voice enhancer, over the phone it is 90% not understandable.

I see on the apple site where you can check to see how one's service progress is going, so that is a plus. However, getting a rep to let the friend or good samaritan "speak" for me has been unacceptable for the applecare reps. I thought if there was an e-mail address I could send an e-mail with al my pertinent information on it so they might be able to start that way. However, I have found just about everybody's email address, except Service and Support.

KJT

11. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

I am in SLC. I would be willing to take your MBP to the Apple store and explain the situation.

12. KJTMS thread starter macrumors newbie

sounds ideal. do you know what I would look for in the phonebook? Yellow Pages under Computers and just "an authorized apple dealer?" or "apple authorized service center?"

This sounds really lame but I came here (to Salt Lake City) to help my bro with his kids while he finished his last year of medical residency where they were working him 24 on 12 off 24 on, etc. His wife left him so he needed somebody to take care of his kids till he found a real job once he finished his residency. That happened about 4 months ago and has been interviewing since then. he is moving to the state of WA so as far as helping me, he has done that, as much as he can or h will lose this "ideal" position.

Really all I need is somebody to be me. That is the biggest obstacle right now. When my brother has tried, it gets so detailed and he gives up because he can't answer all the questions they want to know (even with me right next to him. it is a very odd situation to tell you the truth..)

Thanks for your help

13. eigenvector macrumors newbie

Have your brother call AppleCare and say he is you. They don't have your voice on file, how are they going to know? As long as he has all the needed information at hand there should be not problem.

Good luck with your recovery. :)

14. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

I am in SLC right now. I know where the Apple store is and an authorized service provider named MacDocs is. I am willing to come to your hospital, pick up the MBP and take it to either place.

15. eigenvector macrumors newbie

16. KJTMS thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks man for the booster about the back. actually I am really fortunate that my vertebrae were not damaged. Also since the cord damage was so high they have no idea why I am not a quad...but I am not now so I am thanking my Lord.

Since nobody has said anything about applecare, I am assuming applecare will not cover a display issue like this. The notebook was not even in my car. it was at home. I have to trust my bro, but I bet something happened when he went to get it to bring it to the hspt. for me.

Not sure I followed you on the e-bay idea. You mean find another display and have a tech (locally) remove the broken one and reattach the other one?

This machine is only 6 mo. old and I have a lot of extra programs for my business. I will not need them n ow but legally I still have to save them for 5 years. I have no idea how to save files. Can you believe that? I never learned on this machine. This was the first time I had ever touched a Mac and it was a huge shock getting used to it.

Just a side-note but thanks for this idea mate.

17. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Dudes...

Dude, let us know where you are. I'm sure someone from the community is willing to help.

18. KJTMS thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, I am actually out of the hspt now. I am in a duplex and have a visiting nurse come 3 times a week. Since I had my own business I had no health insurance, so that is a completely different story that will be interesting since I have to do most of the disability work (except what the primary doc's office might do.) This is so new because of the no insurance thing. I was an RN for 15 years before I went and opened a few wellness centers. Insurance on my own would have been nearly more than I took home. Sorry to get of on that but it is a major problem producer.

Not to be so negative, but the authorized Mac people in the strip mall across from South Town (where Nordstroms is) totally ripped me off hen I took the new MBP in to get 2 more gig of RAM. I did not know what I was doing but I assumed they would do what was right. They charged me 3 times what it was the following day and when I called they would not give me any refund. They said the prices just went down. Also, they charged me for the higher speed 2 gb stick and put the lower speeds in. So right of the bat I had a 2gb stick and 2, 2gb 600 speed sticks. I do not remember the details (I would have to get the receipt out) but I was told I got ripped off.

I think they are the only authorized mac store around but I could be wrong. Are these the people off 215 and State St across from that mall I mentioned above? I think I have the name wrong but it is the only mall with Nordstroms in it.

If you think you could at least guide me, on Mon the Respiratory MD is taking out the trach, so maybe you could help me out at that time. if anything, maybe to talk to applecare since even with the tube removed I was told that I should not talk for 72 hours until the swelling goes down or I could ruin the cords for life.

I am still pretty doped up so I apologize if my dates/days/times do not mesh together.

Let me know.

19. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

If it helps at all, you should try checking into stem cell treatment centers in Singapore (there is almost nothing here in the US) I have had a friend with a spinal cord injury treated, he lives in India so it was a short flight. The treatment itself was experimental and quite expensive (it will get cheaper eventually), but his improvement was remarkable.

There was something about stem cell treatments being carried out in Mexico in the news.. a year ago or so, but I never heard about it after that, so it might not be effective or genuine. Good luck, stay strong and always be positive!

20. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

I am in SLC until Tuesday for a convention. I am happy to help you anyway I can. I vacation here frequently, and know the city well. My hotel is right by the Apple store. The ASP I spoke of is named MacDocs and it is on 1500 S. State street in downtown SLC. I have a car and can travel anywhere in the city.

21. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

Hi

Yeah its seems you are very lucky to still be with us, so you can still move your arms ok?
    Is it the spinal cord itself that was damaged?

What happened with the accident? ( hope you dont mind me asking )

Yeah I meant just buy the part from ebay or another shop and get a tech to install it, however unless it’s one of your friend you might end up paying a similar price overall.

I really doubt apple care would cover it since it seems to be damage rather than a fault.

I think the best idea would be to get yourself an external hard drive to copy your files off before it goes in for repair just in case. This is only a preventative measure mind you. There are a few different ways to do it, would be glad to talk you through it but you really need that external hard drive.
    Something from here perhaps
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=harddrive&x=0&y=0
    Or I am sure your bro could pick you up one locally that would do the job just fine.

I ran over my macbook with my car (bad idea) and the only thing that was wrong with it was the screen was shattered, managed to pick one up from ebay for under £100 which is about $200.

You could always sell the machine as it is and then treat yourself to the new model that’s due out sometime in the next 8 weeks. But again you would need to make sure you have your files backed up, and you would make a big loss on it.
    You never know some kind Mac guru in your area might be able to help you out, I would do it myself but I live in Scotland :)
    As for figuring out how to use it properly, basic saving of files and stuff the apple site should have some useful tips, if you’re having trouble still... just let me know and I will talk you through it
    :)

22. KJTMS thread starter macrumors newbie

Question

Hello-
    Would it be possible to communicate with you privately? THIS KIND OF information I think would be better addressed in a "private" situation. I looked for the Executives email addresses but I could not find any without paying for some subscription.

Let me know.

KJT

23. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    You my friend are one of the many reasons MR is one of the best forums around.You represent the many of us, who are no where near him to help.
    Thank you, You are real 1st class person!:D God Bless:apple::apple::apple
    :apple:people rock!

24. KJTMS thread starter macrumors newbie

There were a few "major" problems with the machine (after 6 months of the most extreme care ever) and I was getting the strength to get up and bring it into the apple store. Well, my life came to a halt with the accident. I was coming down one of the canyons (where Snowbird ski resort is) and the road had only 2 lanes. I was in a hurry, inpatient so I decided to pass a jacked up 4x4 huge Hummer filled with outdoor toys. A sports car came around the corner at 90 mph and me in my hybrid Honda (which by the way is one of the worst cars I have ever driven) lacked any decent pick-up power, so I remember flooring it rather than slowing down and getting back behind the Hummer (who by the way did speed up as he saw me trying to pass). The world has really come to one huge mean, mad, angry, dark place, when this guy knew I was going to eat it right in front of his eyes and the ladies' eyes he had in the Hummer. I really do not remember that much detail. LifeFlight was there, I was bleeding from the chest and ears (and I use to be a LifeFlight RN so I knew the RN and the pilot. Anyway, I lost consciousness, woke up in ICU on a respirator, very restless/agitated so they had to drug me up to keep me in bed, chest tubes from collapsed lung, 5 IVs, trach tube in my neck that was made o the highway because they could not intubate me for some reason.

As far as my MacBook Pro, it has ben gradually caving in where I put my hands so it was starting to not latch correctly when I closed it (which kind of added to the cracked display problem.

So, let me know how to deal with this (if you do not mind) You seem way cool. My bro actually is dealing with his move since he landed a job as a surgeon in a small town in WA state (washington). I guess you are in Great Britain, right?

Anyway, I have never once backed up anything. I promised when I got this notebook, I would back up everyday, since I was using 3 of them at the 2 studios I own, but it never happened. I never got the hang of the Mac. The only thing that worked consistently is the External Airport Extreme. So, I am looking at a Lenovo or something else but this whole package cost me $3000. I would like to get the latest but I need to deal with this mss first. There is a small (about 4") space on the bottom of the screen that if I can click and hold the right spot on most window, I can drag it down and see what I am doing. Like this reply to your post.

So you are saying any display will work for a MacBook Pro notebook? I think I can handle getting all the stuff on to a hard drive. I have a Gateway that is 10 years old I need to trash or recycle but there are also files on that I think I need. I would LOVE to take care of these both at the same time. You up for this? he he

Well, it is past my bedtime and the rugs make me sleepy.. Please stay in touch man. I think I will need your help more than you think.

If you an, send me a private message and I will send you my regular email addy. Ok?
    KJT

25. KJTMS thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, Scotland not GB. I will pick up an external HD. I do not need a lot of space because most of the important stuff, my accountant somehow backed it up on a HD he has for me. He has been doing my CPA taxes stuff for ever. Man, my mouth is really tired using this straw so I have to jet. Thanks and please send me a PM