In Case The Mac Pro Waiters Out There...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Feverish Flux, Nov 27, 2007.

1. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Yay. We get to wait until January. Thanks Apple. :D

2. OnePumpChump macrumors regular

OnePumpChump

3. peejack macrumors 6502a

4. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Est ship date is still Dec 18... it's not like they're shipping today. Plus MOST of those options are of the 1333Mhz FSB/667Mhz RAM variety. Only the top two options for the processors and RAM are the faster 1600Mhz/800Mhz kind.

Lol when you configure the 1600Mhz FSB Harpertown in the machine, it still uses the slower 667Mhz RAM as the stock and you have to pay an extra $350+ to get 800Mhz RAM.

6. thagomizer macrumors 6502

Let's check out the pricing on this thing. 2x Quad cores @ 3.2GHz will run $5238, and that's with 1GB RAM, 80GB disk (yes, that's right, 80GB).

Here's some sample prices (all 2x quad, for 8 cores):

3.2GHz, 1600MHz bus: $5238
    3.0GHz, 1600MHz bus: $4858

3.16GHz, 1333MHz bus: $4758
    3.0GHz, 1333MHz bus: $4158
    2.83GHz, 1333MHz bus: $3898
    2.66GHz, 1333MHz bus: $3218
    2.33GHz, 1333MHz bus: $2358
    2.0GHz, 1333MHz bus: $1898

When the Mac Pro was first introduced, it undercut Dell's pricing on similar systems by about $500 to $700 IIRC. But I don't see any way Apple can release a machine like this at even 3GHz for anything near current Mac Pro pricing.

Apple has to start offering something with desktop CPUs if they want to be seen as remotely competitive with what's in the PC space. Can they possibly continue to offer Mac Pro with dual Xeons as their only tower configuration?? And it's pointless to sell a single Xeon box, as a desktop CPU/motherboard combination at the same GHz will be much cheaper, and use cheaper and lower latency memory.

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Dell make huge profit on higher end systems. These systems cost alot more than you could buy components for as a consumer, where as the Mac Pro is more in line with consumer pricing, with additional options priced higher.

8. firstyearprof macrumors member

Screw it - I'm buying

I'm sick of this apple BS waiting game. I've been needing a powerful machine and money is no object. I'm going to buy one of these Dells, have them install Ubuntu Linux on it, and be done with it... errrrr! I can't believe what I'm saying... Somebody talk me out of this...:mad:

9. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

1GB of RAM that isn't even matching the maximum RAM speed of the system.

Apple will completely undercut these prices. Dell is crazy to charge that much especially for the slower FSB/RAM specs they have.

10. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Dell can charge these prices because they are generally offering to a different customer than Apple are. Dell also have alot of other things going for them with their Pro systems that Apple don't, and probably won't offer.

11. relbbircs macrumors regular

Is Apple really committed to maintaining the Mac Pro?

I'd guess that there's got to be at least one more iteration. But given the evident lack of Apple interest in the item, is it necessarily true that Mac Pro will be maintained indefinitely into the future? From a profit point of view might not Apple -- given its huge consumer emphasis -- make the iMac and MacBook Pro its top-of-the-line machines? :confused:

I say this as an Apple convert from about four years ago and the owner of a dual 2.3 G5 Power Mac, desperately waiting for an upgraded model to appear.

12. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

They won't drop the Mac Pro as it is essential to their Pro software, which while I'm sure provides a good source of income, is also essential to their image. Which is possibly Apple's most valuble asset.

13. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Drop the Mac Pro and they drop the Mac.

14. -Noodles macrumors regular

-Noodles

As was previously stated - Apple's image is its most valuable product - a product based on innovation and leadership ("think different" etc). The mac pro while being well out of reach for the average consumer still reinforces the idea of apple's excellent quality and overall elite status. Its $500 dollar iphone does the same. Apple would never handicap its status by selling just mid range consumer electronics. Imagine sony dumping the ps3 to make psps if they sold more, were more profitable etc. - you can't because it goes against the foundations of what the brand is based on.

15. -Noodles macrumors regular

-Noodles

I will say that this link to dell's new models makes me itchy to break out the stevej voodoo doll. He better have something amazing in store for us - something we don't expect. If he could make the mac pro hover above my desk and shoot lasers at office intruders then maybe I'll be satisfied with waiting this long.:cool:

16. seany916 macrumors 6502

So is Stevie going Blu or HD-DVD?

Still waiting...

17. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

I have three problems with the Dell workstation computers:
    1. They are Dell
    2. They are Windows
    3. The bto video cards are all workstation video cards. No high-end consumer cards.

18. peejack macrumors 6502a

How an inbuilt coffee machine heated by a g5 cpu :)

19. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

In nine days the Mac Pro reaches the 17-month mark. No updates. Way to go, Apple. :mad: :rolleyes:

20. Roy macrumors 6502

The longer the wait, the sweeter the Apple cider is when it gets here!
    Maybe!

21. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I thought it was decided it was going to be 100% Blue? Not sure where I heard that, though... hmmm :rolleyes:

22. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I'm getting impatient!!! Sometimes I find myself browsing dell/alienware or gateway to see the offerings.

23. Roy macrumors 6502

How much extra effort, on Apple's part, would it be to support both and give the buyer the choice on a BTO machine?

24. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Dell is AWESOME.........LY BAD..

No seriously, I would buy that beast only if it ran Mac OS X. Since it doesn't, I am stuck with Apple and their hardware. I just hope that we can get some realistic specs on the new Mac Pro. Right now the machine is great, but there is no way any individual is going to pay $5200 for two graphics cards and over $20,000 for a machine. You can spend half as much on a sweet machine and use the other half for a pretty decent server and RAID array.