In Response To The Droid..... Interesting Reading

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Excellerator, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

2. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I have to admit, I actually agree with the points he made. I had many.. many cell phones in my life and not once have I changed the battery. The camera issue is stupid. Who buys a cell phone just for the camera? I could care less how many MP a cell phone has.
    I was a Window Mobile user because of work. I learned how to shut off stuff running it the back ground. It was a pain and I hated it.
    It was a good read, I was expecting something more complaining about stuff.

3. Battery Pulse macrumors member

Battery Pulse

For one, the droids physical keyboard hardly adds any thickness. They also make it seem that running multiple apps is a bad thing. Sure your battery lug will suffer, but I still want to do more than one thing at a time.
    Other than that, the article was okay.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

well

not many will argue about the Battery that has been going on since gen 1 pretty obvious. keyboard well I didn't like droids keyboard when I tried it. customizing,running more then one app this is why I JB ;) camera commit is ******** as any photographer will tell you it's not so much about the Megapixels as it is the sensor you can have a 100 Megapixel camera and still have crap photo's basically this is a YAWN!

5. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Well I for one care. I don't want to have to carry around two separate items, and I usually don't carry a camera around anyway. Its nice to have a quality camera built into your phone. I mean, if its going to have a camera, it might as well have a good one, right? The one in the iPhone isn't all that hot. I've had some Nokia and Sony Ericsson phones from 3-4 years ago that had much better cameras.

6. pavvento macrumors 6502

Decent, but the assertion that a spare battery costs just as much as a phone? I think a $40 spare is cheaper than a $200 phone, but that's just me.

7. megapopular macrumors 6502a

8. pavvento macrumors 6502

9. megapopular macrumors 6502a

I was only adding info to the discussion. Relax.

10. pavvento macrumors 6502

Was there any part of my post that indicates I'm not?

11. byulasfjazz macrumors regular

byulasfjazz

right......

What kinda pictures are you wanting to take???? most people that use the Iphone camera are just for casual shooting.. Are you at weddings or looking at the stars frequently?? My pictures are great! most of them just end up online anyways and they are clear.. doesnt look like it was taken by a cellphone.. so what if there are 8pxl cameras out there.. does it really need to be that clear?
    Even if it is a horrible shot taken.. are there not apps that will fix that..

POINT: Camera is not an issue... If you want Professional shots.. you arnt looking for a 5pxl camera on a cell phone.. chances are you are gunna spend the big bucks to make it nice

12. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Did I seriously consider a Drood purchase last month? Yes. Bu once I turned the volume down on the marketing I realized that everything they highlight are weaknesses to a user like myself.

13. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Yes. The fact that you responded to what I said. :)

14. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

I just love how he makes everything that I like the Droid for seem like a negative thing. The Droid with the keyboard is only a hair thicker than the iPhone. Imagine if it didn't have a keyboard...

The simultaneous apps thing, kind of obvious. At least for me, choice is a good thing. Apparently not for that guy.

He's seriously putting the Droid down because it has more megapixels? Most Droid reviews said the camera was actually pretty bad. If that guy knew that, it's pretty obvious he would say something like "The iPhone has a better camera than the Droid."

"And guess what they are all approved by Apple and they all work seemlessly with the iPhones OS." Yes, cause every smartphone owner loves to have their manufacturer approve every app that is available. By the way, he had several typos, like "seemlessly." To the OP: No offense, but I wouldn't trust anyone who has several typos in his biased rant.

About the battery, seriously? He would rather drive to the Apple Store which is far less common than any electronics store and pay like a $100 (just a guess, don't flame me if it's off) to have it sent in (or is it done at the Store?) just to replace a battery? Let's say that guy is on an airplane and he can't carry the bulk of an external battery and his iPhone battery is dying. What would he do then? Oh, I almost forgot, he could just go the Apple Store that's complimentary on every major airline flight! :D

15. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

16. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

What's a Drood? ;) Anyway, nice article by your friend OP. Does raise some thought-provoking questions. I guess Apple doesn't want user-replacable batteries for the sake of less pirated batteries and imitations.

17. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Or that it would look fugly and they get more space out of these.

18. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502

spacemnspiff

But it still wont be as good as a point and shoot and thats because of the size of the sensor in phone camera is always going to be limiting. Sure cell phone camera can replace taking point and shoot on some occasions, but if one wants printable or good quality picture a camera is a must.

I also fail to understand about people wanting flash on cell phones, its useless in most situations unless one is taking pictures in a very dark setting with a the object couple of feet away. I dont do that often, maybe once or twice a year. So having flash on cell phone is a cosmetic feature.

I agree with you on that. And Droid also has a removable battery, so if you take the keyboard out and have a non-replaceable battery, then the phone will be a lot slimmer, maybe 2/3rd as slim Droid is right now. That is 9.2mm Vs 12.3mm for iPhone.
    Also Droid has a 1400maH battery Vs 1219maH for 3GS and still Droid has a slim package.
    Droid has 3.7"; WVGA (480 x 854 pixels) Vs iPhone 3.5-inch, 480x320-pixels. I can only imagine how good the screen will look if implemented well.

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I agree to the fullest. Your friend has common sense instead of just rambling about specs on paper.

Finally someone who has been sharing the same views as I have.

And no that does not make me any type of fanboy.

20. thetexan macrumors 6502a

The thing phones like Droid offer are optional. The author feels that because he/she wouldn't use the features offered they shouldn't exist. It's like saying cars shouldn't come with CD players because he doesn't listen to music.

The physical keyboard is optional. You can do everything on Droid without ever opening it up a single time. There's not even an expense, as the phone is ever so slightly thicker than the iPhone. If you don't want to use it, you don't have to.

Some people need swappable batteries. OEM batteries are expensive but off-market batteries can be found cheap and they're just as good. It's come in handy for me having a spare a few times.

At least the author pointed out in order to do voice/data at the same time he has to be in the 3G network. Ironic thing is AT&T's 3G network is so bad good luck doing this in practical situations. I live right in the middle of 3G coverage according to AT&T yet there were still many places all I'd pick up was EDGE. AT&T's 3G coverage map to me overstates what they do have, which is pretty sad because their overstatement is poor compared to Sprint and Verizon.

I don't know many people who use their phones for taking pictures during special events, but there's been a lot of times I'm out with friends and I want to snap a quick picture. Considering I don't have a camera on me at all times but I do a phone it's nice to have a phone with a nice camera. iPhone's was decent except for when it was dark, and considering my age I'm out at night most of the time. For my needs, a flash is appreciated.

Widgets are pretty cool, I did like the NFL widget I saw on display (I don't own a droid) and love how it updates scores on the fly.

Oh, and the whole "I don't want multitasking because it kills the battery" argument is stupid. That's like saying I don't want the training wheels removed from my bike because I might fall. At least give me the option.

21. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

The Droid will be forgotten in 3 months, when the next iphone killer is announced.

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

QFT.........

23. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Android will be stronger than ever, though.

24. Konz macrumors regular

Biased fanboy rant... *YAWN*

Fanboyism at its finest: "I don't like it, therefore it must be useless because my opinion is universal." :rolleyes:

I take 90% of my pictures at parties and in bars, both of which are usually dark and require a flash. The iPhone can't even capture images in those settings, but the Droid hasn't had a problem.

25. MTI macrumors 65816

While I do believe that a user replaceable battery is a feature, especially since these are battery powered mobile phones, past experience with Moto and Palm lithium batteries has not been confidence inspiring. Perhaps battery technology has sufficiently advanced past the days of the Razr and Treo problems, just as Apple seemed to advance the iPod battery technology.

There may be some engineering advantage to having a battery that is wired/plugged in and doesn't rely on gold plated tab contacts or be encased in a plastic module. On the other hand, it may not make any difference at all.

All things being equal, a user replaceable battery seems like a nice feature, particularly when most of us have our phones in cases or skins.