Incase Slider + 3GS = meh

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mcdj, Jun 19, 2009.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I've had a Slider on my 3G for a year. Fit like a glove.

I transferred the case to the new 3GS. The bottom piece doesn't sit flush to the rest of the case at the seam...you can see a bit of chrome through the gap. And the bottom piece nearly falls off if you look at it wrong. When it's in place, there's a slight rocking left and right. On the 3G the bottom was nice and tight.

All in all, not a great fit. I feel like the 3GS might be .025mm smaller at the base curve. I have a new Slider on order. Maybe it will fit better.

2. w00tme macrumors member

i just got my gunmetal slider and 3GS today, and it fits like a glove. maybe it's just your phone?

3. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

black or white? mine's black. IIRC there were some subtle size differences in the first batches of the white 3G last year.

4. w00tme macrumors member

my 3GS is white :)

5. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

I am starting to wonder about slight changes in body shape. Not to jack your thread, but I just put on my Griffin Reveal and similar things. There is actually room for the phone to move around ever so slightly in the case, and there should be none. Strange given the dimensions are the same as my old 3G supposedly.:(

6. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

This is odd, because in another thread (under iPhone), there's a few people claiming that the 32GB version is slightly fatter at the ends than the 3G. I'm starting to believe them, because I had a gunmetal slider on my 3G, and the bigger half of the case was always loose and very easy to remove. I put the same case on my 32GB 3G S last night, and it took me 10 minutes to get the damn case off it was so tight!

7. bhsu21 macrumors 6502

I got the same exact one. Fits really snug in my black 3GS phone.

8. REBELinBLUE macrumors regular

I got the Gunmetal slider yesterday and it fits the Black 32GB 3GS perfectly.

It is very tight, but I'm not sure the end is slightly bigger as SheepNutz suggested as it still fits the 3G dock perfectly.

9. email68 macrumors regular

Use with iPhone Dock

Is the slider the only case that will allow you to use the Dock?

I purchased a $29 :eek: dock with my 3GS and want to be able to use it.

I guess I could get a silicone case and fold back the bottom.... :confused:

10. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

ok i'm starting to believe the new 32 is a little different somewhere in size

first my Innocase II fits together nicely on the 3G S but the top, bottom, and camera hole shows a slight bezel (didn't on the 3G) and the camera hole doesn't line up perfectly around the circle steel ring.

now, i just get my highly anticipated Charcoal incase slider (never saw live pics of it anywhere on the net) and its pulling up my screen shield on the bottom corner...AHHHH. This didn't happen with the 3G when I used the metallic red slider. and yes, the crystal film is lined up perfect.

something is off somewhere with the design of the 3G S, i'm starting to believe

11. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

here's a pic of my new slider that doesn't even wanna close all the way tight :mad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

That's odd, mine fits tightly, but closes all the way. The bottom, when I first put it on, didn't even want to come off, but after sliding it off a couple of times, it's a tad looser (in a good way).

13. tha80sbrat macrumors regular

It's not the phone, it's the case. I had a black matte Incase slider for my iPhone 3G and it looked like the photos posted. I thought it was suppose to look like that.

I actually bought a new black matte for my 3G S, but haven't used it because I was thinking about getting the Griffin Reveal. I'll probably use the new one until I can find the Reveal (can't find it at the Apple store).

14. JasonReid macrumors member

I just bought a white Incase slider for my 16GB black 3GS and it goes on all the way, but the bottom piece is pretty tight on it.

15. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

let me know if your new slider fits better...most like some defective sliders being made

guess i didn't realize this case was hit or miss on fitting properly because my bottom piece comes on and off smoothly

16. Animalk macrumors 6502

I had my heart set on this case but now you guys are worrying me :(

17. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

That's what I thought too, until (with my third slider) it put a 1 inch VERY NOTICEABLE scratch on my 3G (Just when putting it on, nothing special) right before I was going to sell it.

Needless to say, I use a Speck Candyshell now.

18. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

I think the fitment problems I've been having are just due to ever so slight tolerances in Apple's design. I managed to pry my 3G S out of my slider, and got my old 3G out to compare sizes. They look exactly the same to the naked eye, too bad I don't have anything to help with tiny measurements. It seems my 3G was on the small side, and my 3G S is on the large side. My wife bought a white slider to put on my old 3G, and it behaves the same as my gunmetal slider, it fits the 3G loosely and it's almost impossible to pry off the 3G S.

19. jsimpson macrumors regular

jsimpson

I have had the problem with a few Sliders fitting like this with my 16gb 3G in the past and it was the case. I just returned them to Apple and got another. I have learned to take the case and test fit it in the store. It saves a trip possibly. I used my White InCase Slider on my 32gb White 3GS Friday as soon as it came out of the box in the store and it fits perfectly.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My slider case that was on my 3G fits my 3Gs as good as the 3G. I'm thinking of getting a different case but becase the slider isn't fitting but rather I want something which offers more protection

21. sb9689 macrumors newbie

I have a black Slider and had a black 16GB 3G and went to a black 32GB 3GS and have had NO problems with the slider.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

23. Animalk macrumors 6502

According to reviews on the apple store website, many are experiencing pealing of the rubbery exterior which is revealing a hard surface underneath. Can anyone here confirm this?

24. jsimpson macrumors regular

jsimpson

I believe this was an early problem but I think InCase has since fixed it. I know I have one I use from time to time and haven't had this problem.

25. REBELinBLUE macrumors regular

Pealing rubber exterior? The InCase slider is a solid piece of plastic :confused: That happened with the Griffin slider case I got when I bought the 3G though