Incipio Feather for iPad 2 in route!

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by UnseenLlama, Mar 21, 2011.

1. UnseenLlama macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

Ordered the Incipio Feather, in black, a couple days ago. Received my shipment notification today so hopefully I will receive it in a couple of days. The Feather has always been one of my favorite cases for both the iPhones and iPad. Can't wait until it arrives! I'll take pictures and post them once it does. :D

2. whoodie macrumors newbie

Awesome, I too like the feather. It was great on my 3GS and iPad 1, not so much on the iPhone 4 though. I can't wait to see the pics!

3. Aqua Bliss macrumors 6502

Llama do you have a smart cover? They say the feather for iPad2 will work with it but have a bit less magnetic sticking power than normal. Would be anxious to have you compare the magnet power with and without the cover.

4. cinca macrumors regular

Looks like that case might be a good fit for a smart cover..? Are there "cut outs" for the magnets to attach or do they snap onto the case so that the case sits between the smart cover magnets and the iPad..?

Thanks for taking pictures -- they might answer my question.

Also -- does the black case you got have more of a glossy finish/shine or is it matte..? I'm curious because of appearance (I prefer more industrial matte versus glitzy Apple shine) and also matte finishes are generally more resistant to fingerprints...

Hope you like the case.. Look forward to the pictures..!

5. tqmcguire macrumors member

I have a Frost Feather case on the truck for delivery today! I'm really anxious to see how it works with the Smart Cover. It doesn't look like there are cutouts for the magnets but it's so thin I can't imagine it not working at all. Like someone else said, the magnets will just let go easier. I might get out the X-Acto knife and do some trimming if it doesn't work well. As I'm sure the OP will do as well, I'll let you know how it works, etc. If anyone wants pics, I can post them. I don't want to hijack the thread; just want to give out information I would want someone to post. :)

6. dand1996 macrumors regular

I'm anxious to hear if it works, please report back!

7. fishcube macrumors 6502

Incipio said they are currently making the featherlite that will work with smart cover. The current ones do not.

8. tqmcguire macrumors member

So I've received the Feather case. The case itself is perfect. It slides on effortlessly and holds on securely. Using it with the Smart Cover, however, is a little disappointing.

The Smart Cover does attach magnetically, however, the connection is less than secure. It takes very little effort to remove the Smart Cover with the Feather case on. Once rolled up in the typing/stand position, you have to take special care to unroll the Smart Cover as it wants to slide off the Feather and up onto the glass. Even picking up the iPad 2 with the Smart Cover closed takes care not to slide the cover off. The general impression I get is to move things slowly, don’t yank or the magnets will fail. I tried the “standing position” and even though it holds it very nearly straight up and down, the iPad almost immediately falls; the magnets just can’t hold it up through the Feather. That’s not to say it’s an unworkable solution. It will hold in the typing position fairly well, just don’t go banging too hard on the screen.

It’s not perfect and originally I said I’d take an X-Acto knife to the Feather to allow the magnets to directly contact the iPad, but that would require removing nearly the entire left side of the case. It would leave a little less than a centimeter of material on the top and bottom to grip the iPad. There’s not much to grip given the streamlined sides of the iPad and I don’t feel safe possibly ruining the case should cutting out the notch weaken it too much.

I see myself using the combination until a company comes out with a Feather-like case/Smart Cover combination folio that doesn’t add any more bulk than this does.

9. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

you won't have to look far as incipio is making the case you desire, perhaps you might want to return this one and wait a couple of weeks.

it was clear to all this case would not work with the smart cover, so hopefully you knew that and just hoped you could make it work.

did you get the frost or the black one, just curious if the frost has the same feeling as the black one which had some kind of coating on it.

by the way their is a promo code for these cases, just found it.

FBFAN2011

10. Aqua Bliss macrumors 6502

TQ can you post some pics when you get a chance! Thanks.

11. tqmcguire macrumors member

I'll definitely look forward to that new case, thank you for letting me know. I had a pretty good idea that this case wouldn't work perfectly with the Smart Cover but I thought I'd give it a try. I'll keep it because it's still useful for me at work when I lay the iPad on my desk. It'll protect the back from scratches instead of laying it on a microfiber towel like I was doing.

I got the Frost and comparing the feel of it to the Feather on my iPhone 4, it doesn't feel as rubbery but it's definitely not slippery at all. It's a smooth matte finish.

12. tqmcguire macrumors member

Here are some pics. I have a couple others I'll post in a minute. If you'd like to see any other views just let me know.

Attached Files:

13. tqmcguire macrumors member

They included a regular screen protector and a matte finish screen protector as well. I installed the matte finish just to try it out. It does a good job diffusing the light but I don't like how I get a rainbow-like look to the screen. I tried to get a picture of it but I don't know if you can see it. It's most evident in the Calender icon, I think. Anyway, the screen just looks grainy and I'll probably be taking it off.

Attached Files:

14. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

is the place where the case meets th smart cover cut out or do the magnets stick through the case?

If the magnets go through the case is it still a great hold or is it diminished? thanks for the pix

15. tqmcguire macrumors member

Check out my "mini-review" a few posts before I posted pictures. There's no cutout so the magnets still hold, but just enough to keep the cover on, not enough to be useful.

16. Aqua Bliss macrumors 6502

Xultar read his previous post!

Thanks for the pics - I didn't realize the frost was that transparent, thought it was more of a cloudy material. Looks pretty good but I'll probably wait until they have a Smart Cover cutout as I'm worried about the magnet power like you mentioned...

17. Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

Good information, do you have any links or further information on this upcoming case? Most everyone is in the same boat right now, making do with what is available while waiting on a true solution (or one that is more appealing than the limited options)

18. Sh0k macrumors member

Did you order the case directly from Incipio ? Looking at Incipio's website, they don't mention that the case comes with a couple of screen covers.

19. tqmcguire macrumors member

Yes I did. It came with the 2 screen protectors, a "smoothie card" (as they called it) and a rather nice cleaning cloth. I didn't expect anything except the case so it was a nice little surprise.

20. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

sorry.

21. UnseenLlama thread starter macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

Looks like some people are already receiving there. Mine should be here tomorrow. Thanks for the pictures!

I really like the frost color and how it's transparent! Hopefully we'll here more info on the feather+smart cover cutout. There was another brand that was doing the same thing, but I've always like Incipios products better.

22. UnseenLlama thread starter macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

Yes, I have the gray smart cover. Looks like someone has already anwered the question though. :eek:

23. orlandocano macrumors regular

Coupon Code -- FBFAN2011

By the way.. I saw this mentioned earlier.. but it didnt specify that this coupone takes $10 and change off of the final price... for $25, this case is a much better deal... here is a screen capture of my checoout screen...

Attached Files:

24. orlandocano macrumors regular

Got this from incipio 5 minutes ago... New case is 2 months away... But if you buy now it seems you can exchange it for the new one :)

Thank you for your inquiry. Our feather case that has just been released is compatible with the Apple Smart Cover, however does reduce the magnetic strength slightly where the Smart Cover clips onto the iPad. It is not primarily designed for the Smart Cover and we will be releasing a new feather case to be custom designed for the Smart Cover. This newer released feather will be released in about 6-8 weeks, as it is still in its early stages of development. We will also be happy to exchange your current feather case for the Smart Cover feather case in the future. If you would like to be placed on our email notification list for the release of the newer feather, please reply directly to this email indicating your interest. Please feel free to contact us with any further questions or concerns.

25. dand1996 macrumors regular

Thanks so much for the code!great deal at 25$