Increased Shut down time on 10.7 Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by GerMo, Jul 26, 2011.

1. GerMo macrumors member

Since upgrading to Lion, I have enjoyed it a lot.
    Unfortunately, I have noticed on both my mid-2010 Macbook Pro 17" and 11" Macbook air that the boot up and shut down times have dramatically increased.

Most importantly, it is the shut down time. Before when my macs were running snow leopard, my mba took less than 5 seconds to shut down, but now, it takes at least 20 seconds! My macbook pro takes more than that.

This is just unacceptable. Has anyone out there experienced this and know of how to fix it?? Any help/suggestions are welcome.

2. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

how often do you actually shut down your mac? most people these days just put it to sleep, maybe shutting it down when they go away, or something...

i imagine it's taking a 'snapshot' of open apps, windows...so it can restore them on reboot.

15 seconds every now & then doesn't seem so bad, considering all of the above...

3. GerMo thread starter macrumors member

well I shut down both my mbp and mba everyday. Maybe I should just not shut down my computer at all. But it's still quite annoying when I sometimes switch to bootcamp and I have to wait for ages.

4. acurafan macrumors 6502a

i see that same on my test machines, my imac and mbp w/ssd get the spinning wheel for 25 secs before shutting down, both SL upgrades, with and without FV2 installed.

5. GerMo thread starter macrumors member

You have exactly the same problem as mine. I get that spinning wheel too and it spins for ages before it actually shuts down.

6. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Try ejecting your Boot Camp partition (right click -> eject). It will come back after the next boot.

7. GerMo thread starter macrumors member

nope, doesn't work. As a matter of fact, I only have bootcamp on my mbp not mba.

Btw, I have officially timed the shut down of my mbp, it takes 47 seconds! mba, on the other hand takes around 23 seconds.

8. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

I can confirm the spinning wheel is there on my late 2009 Mini while restarting as well, it takes additional 30 seconds to restart.

Is it there when your MBP restarts or just when it shuts down?

9. VicAnd7 macrumors newbie

It might be because of the saved state feature. When you shut your Mac down and then back on, do some applications start automatically?

Besides, I've noticed that the new Mail.app tends to take a few time closing.

10. GerMo thread starter macrumors member

It's there for both restarting, booting, and shutting down.

11. GerMo thread starter macrumors member

Nope, every time I shut down my macs, I uncheck the box "Reopen windows when logging back in". That's what I thought the problem was at first, but it seems like it isn't. This is quite annoying!

12. GerMo thread starter macrumors member

although this is not a perfect example since it's a developer preview, I thought I'd share a video I saw on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBhr_plIhF4
    now that's exactly how fast it should shut down!

13. VicAnd7 macrumors newbie

I asked that because I had the same issue, but I wrote an app that automatically disables save state and shut downs the Mac, and it shuts down as fast as SL.

Care to give it a try? CleanShutDown

Let me know if it improves your shut down time!

14. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Interestingly enough, the shutdown time of my MB was dramatically improved by Lion, and startup time is only slightly increased.

Weird.

15. revenent macrumors regular

Same here. Boot up times slightly increased but shut down time dramatically decreased. Launching apps is also increased as well. At any one time i have multiple safari tabs opened, mail, calendar, iTunes, pages, numbers, vmware, adobe reader, adobe illustrator and adium all set to automatically open on boot.

Everything is great so far except for boot time. Took exactly 1 minute to start up....

16. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

And same here, although 2010 Air startup time doesn't seem any slower to me, shutdown on both that and 2008 MBP is faster than it used to be.

17. GerMo thread starter macrumors member

Tried it out, nope doesn't help. The loading swivel is still there and shut down time takes 24secs.

18. GerMo thread starter macrumors member

To those that are affected by this problem, I guess our only hope is for Apple to patch the problem in 10.7.1

19. basher macrumors 6502

basher

You mean 10.7.2

20. GerMo thread starter macrumors member

No, I said 10.7.1, so I mean 10.7.1.
    You must've read some reports saying that 10.7.2 will be the next update because Apple has already seeded the beta versions to the developers. But for now, i'll say 10.7.1 because we are currently running 10.7 which is 10.7.0, and if you can count properly, 10.7.1 is the next update. And that is just what I hope will happen, but according to some reports, they say Apple isn't releasing any bug fixes yet.

21. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

22. GerMo thread starter macrumors member

This is a strange problem... Did you do a fresh install of lion or did you just upgrade from snow leopard?

23. SimonJ macrumors regular

I'm experiencing the very same problem on my mid-2010 15" MBP. At first I thought it was because I did an upgrade from SL, but I have since performed a clean install of Lion and the startup/shutdown speeds are the same..:(

24. ChazB macrumors member

I'm seeing a HUGE decrease in shutdown and startup times on my Early 2011 13" MBP w/ a OCZ Vertex 3 SSD. On Snow Leopard my startups were longer than with the stock HDD.

FYI; I put SL on my SSD by just copying my installation from my HDD using OS X's Disk Utility and I installed Lion as a regular update; no fresh installs at all.

The trend I'm seeing here is that anything older than early 2011 is having issues. I wonder if it's hardware/chipset related?

25. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

My shutdown time is easily 3-4 times longer than under SL as well. Boot time seems unaffected though, and since I rarely shutdown/reboot, it doesn't really bother me.