Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicoplanet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
France
Hello!

Just a message to have feedback about the "new" impulse scrolling trackpad. Someone have a hack to apply it to the previous gen MBP? :) Someone working on it?

Probably only a software update? (like the 3/4 fingers gestures on the MBA for example...)

Thanks! :cool:

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
I love the inertial scrolling!! :D

Its fun getting to the top or bottom of a webpage with a simple flick of two fingers. (That kinda sounds weird).

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
*pulls off steve jobs impression*

The hardware is outdated and incapable. Buy a new MBP.

- Sent from my iPad.

(not that the hardware isn't identical and proven to be able to do it anyway)

Jorgxus

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
I think we'll have to wait for someone with a new mbp to post his/her "AppleUSBMultitouch.kext" file. :)

Jorgxus

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
can someone with a 2010 MBP please upload that file 'AppleUSBMultitouch.kext' ? Located in: /System/Library/Extensions/

thx

iWork

macrumors member
May 7, 2009
I just tried the AppleUSBMultitouch.kext from the 2010 MBP on my multi-touch capable 08 Penryn MBP and it didn't work. The 2010 MBP is running a different build of 10.6.3 and therefore has the necessary supporting files. We will have to wait until 10.6.4.

Jorgxus

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
I just tried the AppleUSBMultitouch.kext from the 2010 MBP on my multi-touch capable 08 Penryn MBP and it didn't work. The 2010 MBP is running a different build of 10.6.3 and therefore has the necessary supporting files. We will have to wait until 10.6.4.

ah, bummer :(
thx for trying :p

nicoplanet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
France

Too bad... :(
Hope there is a solution! :D

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
No one knows.

I tried it at the Mac store and it is useless for normal pages. It's VERY useful however for long pages, such as a guide from gamefaqs.

ttran88

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
You can easily get to the bottom/top of the page with 3 finger swipe down or up. I guess its useful to go to a middle of a page. I wouldn't pay 19 dollars for that program cause I'm poor. Apple will come out with a software update for it hopefully

risenphoenixkai

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Back when we had to do hacks to get four-finger gestures on the pre-unibody 2008 MacBook Pros, you needed both AppleUSBMultitouch.kext and AppleUSBTopCase.kext from the unibody MacBook Pros in order to get four-finger gestures working. It may be the same case here. My dad bought one of the new MacBook Pros with inertial scrolling enabled, so I'll see if I can get those files from him.

risenphoenixkai

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
I spent most of the morning messing around with the AppleUSBMultitouch.kext, AppleUSBTopCase.kext, and Trackpad.prefPane files from my dad's new 13" MacBook Pro, trying to get inertial scrolling working on my Early 2008 17" MacBook Pro with Multi-Touch trackpad.

Long story short, I spent most of the morning without any Multi-Touch gestures at all after installing the three files from my dad's MBP, and only after a lot of work was I able to restore them while still using the new files. I still haven't been able to enable inertial scrolling, however, and the option to do so doesn't show up in System Preferences.

The good news is this might be coming in a software update, possibly as soon as 10.6.4. After comparing the info.plist files for AppleUSBMultitouch.kext between the 10.6.3 file that I originally had on my MacBook Pro versus the same file from my dad's newer Mac, I found one significant difference. In the old file, there are several instances of a string that says:

<key>TrackpadFourFingerGestures</key>
<true/>

These are the strings that identify Multi-Touch enabled trackpads, because all of these trackpads (MacBook Air, Early 2008 MacBook Pro, Late 2008 MacBook Pro, all unibody Macs) have hardware in the trackpads that support four-finger gestures, and as of Snow Leopard, the functionality has been enabled for all of these trackpads.

In the new info.plist from my dad's MacBook Pro, every single one of these four-finger gesture strings is followed by a new string which reads:

<key>TrackpadMomentumScroll</key>
<true/>

This seems to imply that even though I haven't found a way to get inertial scrolling working on my Early '08 MacBook Pro via my own tinkering, it's not only possible, it may be forthcoming relatively soon.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
You guys do realize that these trackpads even have firmware in them that can be updated... The 2010 trackpad inertial scroll may be a combination of a firmware/software change from the 2009.

risenphoenixkai

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Just did some more investigation of the info.plist from a new 13" MacBook Pro's AppleUSBMultitouch.kext file. The new file definitely has string info for momentum scrolling for all models of multi-touch enabled trackpads. I double-checked by matching the Product ID of my Early 2008 MacBook Pro's trackpad to the Product ID listed in the info.plist. There was a string which read:

<key>TrackpadMomentumScroll</key>
<true/>

That having been said, I still haven't managed to get it working on my machine. I'm running off of the new kext for AppleUSBMultitouch and AppleUSBTopCase, and I'm also running off the new trackpad.prefPane -- all files downloaded from a new 13" MacBook Pro with inertial scrolling enabled. Even though I have all these files properly installed, with permissions fixed and all other multi-touch gestures working correctly, there's no option in System Preferences to enable momentum scrolling.

I'm stumped for the moment. When 10.6.4 comes out, one of two things will happen: either inertial scrolling will be enabled for all multi-touch trackpads by default, or it'll be easier to get this working because we'll have one or more missing files that I'm not aware of needing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.