****ing Hackers and PSN

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BHP41, Apr 24, 2011.

1. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

The **** with geohot has been settled and they continue to **** with Sony and it's users. This leaves a bad taste in my mouth for the morons that are doing this.

They're are many many users on PSN and to do this because SONY had every right to put that idiot Geohot in his ****ing place and they feel that they need to get revenge on the entire PSN. What tools.

I don't play everyday but when my friend oversees gets a chance we like to Race online. I know it won't happen but I wouldn't mind if they all fell of the face of the earth.

http://www.redmondpie.com/sony-play...end-in-sight.-we-are-re-building-our-system./

Needed to vent.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Does the PS3 even have worthwhile games? Also, use your computer to play online. You'd be surprised how much better things look and gamePlay is.

3. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Not to mention you're complaining about a service that costs you $0 a year.

Inconvenient as it may be, you are getting what you're paying for- nothing.

4. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Yep its all been settled and while I kinda feel this hacks been going on for a little too long I'm fully supporting Anon and Geohotz in this one. Sony should take a cue from Microsoft and actually give this guy a job, maybe even find a way to incorporate linux back into their systems instead of harassing hotz. This almost reminds me of the RIAA sueing everyone instead of innovating their products/brand. Now Sony has to pay for their arcaic ways and if it means knocking their PSN and music services offline for a while then I'm OK with that (get some fresh air, go play xbox live, play more pc games, etc). Maybe some management will change and people will be fired (I hope I really do if Sony wants to improve its brand) and Sony might actually become a better company.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

No they really don't. Honestly I don't think Sony should EVER be allowed to pursue anyone who hacks one of their products. Ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

While I don't agree with Anon for hurting the users who just want to play their online games I don't think Sony should be pursuing Geohot.

6. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

Sony deserves everything coming to them. Sucks for the people who use the PSN network though.

7. CptAwesome macrumors member

Tad unfair that is one thinks....

But yeah, i dont agree with how Anon (assuming it is them) is attacking us poor customers rather than the company itself...

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I don't agree. Sony markets the PS3 as having a free multiplayer network. Now it's down and they have egg on their face (and they know it). Just because you don't pay for something directly doesn't mean you can't criticize it.

9. kolax macrumors G3

I understand why Sony is being targeted, and I agree with it. Geohot's lawsuit was just unfair.

However, whatever group is behind the attacks, it isn't fair on the users. I'm really pissed that it's been down for so long. I only play my PS3 online - most of the games I have are meant to be played online.

What makes it even more annoying is Sony's lack of communication. An update every 2 days is useless..

I wouldn't say it is a free service.

PSN is part of the PS3 package I bought - it was advertised and marketed as a fundamental part of the PS3's gameplay.

Sony should be ashamed of themselves. The PS3 and games are a rip of as it is, never mind their network being constantly targeted for political reasons.

10. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I just cannot stand the popup to sign into the PSN network EVERY TIME I launch Netflix. Other than that this doesn't effect me.

What does it matter if I'm signed in to the PSN for Netflix anyway? I know I just try once, and then it allows me to go on to using Netflix, but every single time gets old.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No. Everything is down, even the shop. Free online play is one thing (PC online is free too and the utter best, FWIW) but their whole service is down - even the bits they make money on.

But this whole thing is just ridiculous. Sometimes I wish there was no online anonymity so these people, in their irritating form, wouldn't exist. I don't even have a PS3 and I can't shop or play my PSP games online.

Word is (according to the comments on a news site) Sony are rebuilding PSN from the ground up.

Fully with Sony on this. But then again I-
    Never used Linux on my PS3 when I had one.
    Don't pirate games.
    Have no desire for homebrew or hacks.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I don't think it was an unfair assessment. I do think the PS3 has no worthwhile games. Many of the good games can be played on the XBox or on a PC. I don't ever see a reason to ever buy a PS3.

As per the PSN, they had it coming. Also, how weak is Sony that a massive multinational corporation can defend itself against some hackers. This makes you think how truly secure your information is with them... (not secure).

13. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Geohot has no reason to be hacking it, everything you read about him is "Im only doing it because Sony removed OtherOS and I paid for that...blah blah blah".

Well, if your ass wasnt trying to hack the console in the first place then Sony wouldnt have removed it. Whats to gain from hacking the console? Nothing but pirating games but since they screwed that up and Sony removed the OtherOS, they now use that as an excuse. Its not like the iWhatever where jailbreaking it allows you to add more functionality to it, there is nothing you can really do to a console besides pirate the games. Sony has every right to ban every console that is running hacked on its own servers, dont like it then go play some WOW and cry.

Im sure im not the only one that gets pissed off just going on to youtube and you type black ops or something and there are all these little kids running around with a care package in one hand and jumping all over **** and then flying in the air because all they do is go into the game and jump on a crack for 10 hours trying to break the level. Same **** with Halo, I still remember my friends and I found out about something on Zanzibar and you had to jump on this crack and you could get on top of the fan thing and it wasnt like oh just hit the crack...you had to be perfect when doing it. I pay a lot for these games like Black Ops and then they throw a $15 map-pack with 4-5 playable maps and then they are too worried about playercards to fix there **** servers and host migration. Watch out if the host is team killing and finds out they are the host...might as well quit then.

14. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

While my PS3 is not jailbroken, if you think that hacking the PS3 is only for pirating games, you have obviously not done your homework. You can customize the PS3 with themes, add a File Explorer, etc...

Granted alot of people do jailbreak the PS3 to pirate games, but that is NOT the only thing.

15. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Themes? You can do that now besides changing the whole entire layout and a file explorer? Cause for celebration! Its a console, you turn it on, put game in and you never see the XMB or whatever again. Its not my phone where I am looking at the layout every time I unlock the phone. They only have themselves to blame for things being removed.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

^ :D
    I'm willing to bet that the overwhelmingly vast majority of people who do "jailbreak" (I prefer the old school "mod" myself ;)) their consoles are doing so to pirate games; be it in the form of PS3 games or emulators.

I always find that stuff so messy. I used to have my PSP modded but it was just such a pain to have to update the firmware for X game, can't run the UMD of one game so you had to rip/update the game from your PC... in the end it was just much easier to keep it official.

It's for piracy. Whatever reason Geohot mentions in a PR report or whatever Anon claim to be going for... it's piracy. Unless you're that estimated 0.1% of people who just nice themes on your PS3.

17. kolax macrumors G3

Yeah, but the trouble with piracy is that it's debatable the actual effect it has. Games are too expensive, and you could argue that someone who pirates a game isn't necessarily ripping the publisher off because they wouldn't have spent their money on that game in the first place. Or you could argue that people who would buy the game don't because they can get it for free.

I'm on the line with piracy, and neither agree or disagree with it. I want the developers to get paid for their work, but I also don't want to be ripped off. Right now, I feel like I'm getting ripped off more, and the developers aren't getting enough money (because of the publishers, and shop fees).

18. Dagless, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The average decent (So console games, PC games, higher tier handheld games) game costs around £500k-5million to develop. A lot of the time they don't see that figure back and that impacts publishers, so they rely on traditional games that everyone is bored with.
    It very much affects the smaller guys, the ones who take a risk more than anyone else. So because of that I just can't justify ever pirating a game; YMMV.

But game prices haven't changed. Infact you now get more for your money than ever, games are full of content and need armies of developers. A £30 game now took much more time, money and effort than a £60 from 5 years ago. You're not being ripped off. Edit: unless you're buying something you don't want to play.

19. Ommid macrumors 6502

I never even knew you can do this!! :O

20. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

it doesn't matter if 99.9% jailbreak for pirating games he can still make the point that he did it for those other reasons. its not like he is pirating the games, its like saying a guy buys a beer then kills several people the manufacturer of the beer doesn't get charged doe he? Im sure that geohot had a warning on wherever he distributed his software saying he is not responsible for your actions. i don't feel its his fault he didn't hack PSN and hold it hostage, its the idiots who got caught pirating games. but even though it is his fault it was able to happen in the first place i don't think it was personally his fault. scold me if u like but its somewhat the truth lol.

21. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

That is not the point of the thread.

The point is that hackers are ruining the PSN experience for everybody

22. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

The settlement was stupid. Whilst I don't like how users are being punished for this, I think it's showing Sony that they need to stop messing with 'the little guy'.

They should have learnt from the whole PSP thing but they never will. Everything about that company makes me want to take the hit and trade in my a300 for Nikon or Canon.

Also, without them doing this to Geohot, nobody would've been any the wiser about the fact you can pirate games on the PS3. I sold my last PS3 game today and in all likelihood will be getting an Xbox 360 with kinect when I'm settled in the US.

23. kolax macrumors G3

Is that developing alone, or including marketing, publishing costs and shipment/shop fees? Also, you got a source that has a breakdown of why it costs that much?

I own all my PS3 games (well, I've only got 5 games, and really only play Little Big Planet and PES) so I can play online. I can almost justify spending £50 on Little Big Planet 2, because the online game play is what makes the game. Millions of additional levels. But these levels were made by users, not the developers, and they don't get a penny for it. So, £50 seems quite expensive in that sense..

24. chrmjenkins, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

It doesn't matter the percentage of people that use it for pirating because it's an issue of people being able to do whatever they want to the products they own. Just like people don't want the government legislating what they do with our bodies, people don't want to be told what they can and cannot do with things they purchase with their own money. I cannot find a good reason to disagree with that, either.

The danger of piracy is one we have to take to ensure that the proper freedoms are protected.

And there are still plenty of reasons one may want to jailbreak a PS3. Remember how Sony allowed linux installs? Now they don't, and some just want that back.

Sure does. I would say uncharted and little big planet are its best exclusives. Uncharted 2 is probably the best action adventure game I've ever played.

25. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It is a point. Because although PSN is down, there are other alternatives you can explore.