Insane data consumption

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skaertus, Nov 1, 2016.

1. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

I have an iPhone 6s with iOS 10.1 installed. I have an LTE data plan which gives me 9 GB a month, which seems quite substantial for me. Never had a problem with it. Until now. This month, the iPhone consumed the full 9 GB in some 10 days and I keep buying additional packages of 2 GB every two days because it is insanely consuming data for some reason I cannot figure out.

Just today, at 7am in the morning, when I checked a data manager app that I installed, the iPhone had somehow consumed 1.14 GB of data, and I had barely used it. Something is clearly wrong here.

When I look at Settings>Cellular, I can find the usual suspects that consume a lot of cellular data: Exchange account, Safari, Spotify... but it measures the data since I last reset the iPhone. It does not show me which specific app consumed 1.14 GB today without me even touching the iPhone.

I would like to know if there is any app out there that measures the data each specific app consumes at each time, so I am able to identify which one is sucking all this data. I don't need an app that only measures the cellular data which is consumed without identifying the specific apps that consumed such data; that I already have. What I really need is to track down how much data each app is consuming at each time.

Thanks for the help.

2. rogerbarton macrumors member

rogerbarton

Surely when you go through all the app data usage since your last reset, the ones with the most data will be the most likely suspects.

Perhaps you have Spotify set up to download certain playlists? Or you set or received a large email on Outlook? Just go through the process of elimination. I don't think an app exists that pinpoints usage on every specific app, but would love to be proved wrong!

3. gim macrumors 6502

gim

Sounds like you got "Wi-Fi Assist" turned on?

4. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

Surprisingly, Wi-Fi Assist is turned off. I turned it off over a year ago as it was consuming too much data, and never turner it back again. And I already checked that it is kept turned off.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You should be able to get a good idea how the data is used by looking at settings/cellular.
    And just reset it every time your new billing cycle starts.

6. dillonm macrumors regular

Same issue here. I am on AT&T and had the grandfathered unlimited plan until two months ago. I gave it up for a mobile share advantage plan that has 10GB of data. Of all the years I had the unlimited plan my peak usage was around 6-7 GB, and I felt like I used it A LOT. Since switching plans two months ago I've been over 10 GB both times, and don't use my phone any more than I used to. Probably just the mobile companies screwing with us.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not, the data is being used by your phone and not just made up by the carriers to screw you.
    Every single mb is there measured in your settings.
    Take a look and adjust your usage accordingly.
    ps. You should have kept your unlimited data.

8. dillonm macrumors regular

I had to get more minutes than the measly 450 that came with that plan. I tried just adding more minutes to my unlimited plan and they jacked up my bill to $150, so I really had no choice (just how they planned it).

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Nope. Largely an old wive's tale perpetuated by the ignorant and viral clickbait Facebook posts.

@skaertus , you didn't mention your carrier, but in addition to the cellular usage in your settings, most carriers these days have usage tools which show how data is being consumed.

10. I7guy macrumors G5

Do you notice a lot of safari "can't load pages"? If not I'm not sure how wifi assist could be using a lot of data. Wifi assist on my phone indicates 7mb used in the last few weeks.

For me anyway when I don't want to use cellular data I turn it off but wifi assist provides continuity when a marginal wifi signal is detected.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you, verizon and AT&T make it hard to keep that old unlimited data plan.
    That's why I left AT&T.

12. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I would have loved to stick with my AT&T GFUDP. But, last time I went to the AT&T store, they seemed determined to get rid if my UDP with current plans... and all I wanted to do was add a phone for my 14 year old and change the billing address under my name. Felt really unappreciated as a long time customer... which is why we left AT&T. I was really happy with AT&T data speeds... better than my current T-Mobiie data in my neighborhood, but it doesn't suck over all. I like my High speed UDP under the Simple Choice plan. Avg +-40GB/mo (80GB this cycle). What I like most is not getting that annoying AT&T text message warning that I'm nearing 22GB... LOL. :p

Hope I can enjoy my Simple Choice high speed UDP for a long time... but I have my doubts coming from AT&T and Verizon as a previous customer.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you, every time I went to an AT&T store I felt like the pray and the wolves around me hounding to get me away from my unlimited data plan that I had since 2007 with the original iphone 2G.
    You could see their eye sparkle when they saw 3 lines on unlimited data. They talked and went over my data and how much I would save and other things. Before I walked away I always told them multiple times to make sure there is no changes mistakenly happen in my account since I want to keep my unlimited data plan. Dont touch or change anything with my plan :D
    Their heart was broken:)

14. MikeTHIS macrumors member

This is funny, as I am/have been experiencing a similar issue.

7+ AT&T, 12 GB mobile share (only line on my account). Every month, the DAY before my account cycle ends I mysteriously go over my usage and get banged for an extra GB.

I DONT stream anything, wifi assist is off and nothing stands out in usage.

Each time my account has been increased (they doubled my data for free a few months ago) - the same thing has happened.

15. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

And have you been resetting and checking the data use on your phone? The data doesn't come from nowhere...

16. Applejuiced, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Everything is there for you to see in settings/cellular/Data usage.
    Every single app and how much it used. Just reset it once a month when your billing cycle renews and you will have detailed and total amount of data for the month.
    Its not a mystery, your phone used the carrier data.

17. gim macrumors 6502

gim

If you got a big house with weak wifi reception in some spots, Wi-Fi assist does eat up large amounts of mobile data. That's no "old wive's tale" at all.

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Exactly. There should be an app or setting that is draining away your data. My advice? Do not buy more data. Let the iPhone run dry with data. This should give you an idea as the app (or apps) consuming data will likely complain that it can't connect to the Internet.

19. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Ok, of course it's possible. I may have overstated. My point is that so many point to this tiny feature as such a huge consumer of data when far more times than not, when data usage stats are analyzed, typically it's only used MB of data (over the course of many months), not GB.

Since the feature debuted, with the dozens (if not hundreds) of times I've seen this complaint, I think I've seen around 1 instance of this feature actually being the culprit.

20. MikeTHIS macrumors member

I love when replies make it seem like I'm lying and or clueless.

I reset on the end of my cycle. I don't stream video and unless I cannot add - something is up. But hey, thanks for the tips. Smh

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So what are you saying then?
    That the data that your carrier is reporting and the data your iPhone measures in settings doesn't match?
    They mysteriously just tack on additional GB's of data to make more money from you?

22. dillonm macrumors regular

I would think the big boys Verizon and AT&T definitely would have the ability to tamper with accounts to make money. Wouldn't doubt it one bit.

23. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

In my experience, there is a big difference between AT&T corporate stores (positive), and affiliate/franchise stores (negative). An orange awning and AT&T logo on a storefront doesn't mean it's actually an AT&T store. It can be Vinny Scumbag's franchise store, and boy are they aggressive. Total opposite experience in the big corporate store, very chill, low pressure, and helpful employees.

At least this has been my experience in Brooklyn and Manhattan.

24. MikeTHIS macrumors member

What I'm saying is there's a 2 gb discrepancy in my bill from what statistics say.

Do you own stock in a cellular company or something? Lol

25. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

The statistics on your phone have to be manually reset at the same time the provider's billing cycle flips over - good luck with that. And the stats on my wireless hotspot are always inaccurate. With AT&T they also say there is about a 3 hour delay with the usage statistics in their iOS app.