Instagram Expected to Become 'More Tightly Integrated' With Facebook After Photo App's Founders Leave Company

nwcs

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Yep. And some of the stuff it thinks I want to see...I have no idea where it’s coming from as it’s not anything I’ve ever searched for anywhere and certainly not anything I followed on FB when I was using that app. Hate it.
It’s the friends of friends thing. When I started seeing certain themes show up in my feed that I would never like I started looking at the people I follow. I found a few who were liking some similar things. So I removed those people and suddenly a lot of the junk disappeared. Basically an algorithm that isn’t designed very well.

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
Instagram is the social network I spend the most time on. To this day, I wish that Facebook never bought IG back in 2012. But it is what it is.

smeagol

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2003
New York

Instagram co-founders Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger have left Facebook, explaining in a statement this week that they are taking some time off to "explore our curiosity and creativity again." According to people familiar with the matter speaking to Bloomberg, Systrom and Krieger are leaving due to growing tensions with Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg.

Mike Krieger and Kevin Systrom at Instagram

In recent months, Zuckerberg is said to have become more involved in the day-to-day work going on at Instagram, and "more reliant on Instagram in planning for Facebook's future." Facebook acquired Instagram in 2012, and up until now Systrom and Krieger had been able to keep the photo-sharing app's brand independent from Facebook while using the larger social network's resources to expand.

With this year's Cambridge Analytica scandal, it's believed that Zuckerberg and Facebook are now leaning into Instagram's success as Facebook faces ongoing struggles. Facebook has even started talking about Instagram more often in its earning calls, with Zuckerberg recently stating that Instagram grew twice as fast being in the Facebook family as it could have on its own. Internally, Instagram employees said this was "unnecessary and unprovable."

Adam Mosseri, who came from Facebook's news feed team to be head of product for Instagram in early 2018, is the most likely successor for Systrom and Krieger. Through all of this, Facebook is predicted to "more tightly integrate" Instagram into the larger company, making Instagram less independent than it is now.
As it stands now, Instagram has largely been able to avoid negative association with the Facebook brand after the data privacy scandal earlier this year. A few other apps under the Facebook umbrella have also faced departing executives in the wake of the scandal, with WhatsApp co-founder Jan Koum leaving Facebook in April, reportedly clashing with Facebook executives over the messaging app's strategy and Facebook's attempts to use WhatsApp personal data in ways to monetize the service.

Article Link: Instagram Expected to Become 'More Tightly Integrated' With Facebook After Photo App's Founders Leave Company
[doublepost=1537892735][/doublepost]That's what happens when you make a deal with the devil. When it's time to collect, the devil "always" gets his due. Shoulda stayed independent and never sold out to Facebook. In hindsight, what a steal Instagram was for a measly $1B... Couch money for Facebook :(

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

Karma*Police

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2012
Sure, but instagram seems to stay as it was as the founders are (were) still there. But now, it's up in the air. I can see Facebook quickly make instagram into another hate-infested-social-media. Facebook has been useless for me as the amount of fake accounts spreading hate and extremism are ridiculous, and Facebook turned a blind eye when those accounts are reported. Facebook like the engagement, apparently.
Facebook did no such thing. That's about as accurate as saying MR is responsible for another hate-infested-social-media platform because of all the trolling and hate on these boards. People keep looking at external sources such as FB for the problems of humanity when all they need to do is look in the mirror.

Hate and extremism has always been around. You see politicians dishing out hate and lies on both sides. What's crazy is how they hold these congressional hearings to try and hold social media companies accountable for spreading misinformation. The hypocrisy is through the roof.

pika2000

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2007
Facebook did no such thing. That's about as accurate as saying MR is responsible for another hate-infested-social-media platform because of all the trolling and hate on these boards. People keep looking at external sources such as FB for the problems of humanity when all they need to do is look in the mirror.

Hate and extremism has always been around. You see politicians dishing out hate and lies on both sides. What's crazy is how they hold these congressional hearings to try and hold social media companies accountable for spreading misinformation. The hypocrisy is through the roof.
It IS a problem in developing countries, where Facebook offers “free” access to their platform. Many many people thinks that Facebook IS the internet, thus all these fake accounts and hoaxes easily spread hate and extremism in a society that is not ready in their critical thinking being exposed to Facebook “internet.” And Facebook makes zero effort in curbing these obvious fake accounts since they created the “engagement” that Facebook is looking for (in terms of numbers).

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I wonder how long until Instagram starts requiring you to use your real name like Facebook does.

Screw all that. I'm tired of Facebook ruining everything.

btrach144

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2015
If Facebook starts turning Instagram into more FB with more FB invasive spyware then I’ll kindly delete my account. It was only for fun anyway.
+1. I deleted Facebook and I will do the same to Instagram if necessary. BOTH the founders leaving at the same time is not a good sign. They're not leaving to go enjoy their billions.

ipponrg

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2008
I wonder how long until Instagram starts requiring you to use your real name like Facebook does.

Screw all that. I'm tired of Facebook ruining everything.
I still haven't tied my Facebook account to my Instagram.

I still login via email (or was it username I can't remember). Maybe those days are numbered now. If I have to tie my Instagram to Facebook account, then I guess I won't be an Instagram user anymore

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It IS a problem in developing countries, where Facebook offers “free” access to their platform. Many many people thinks that Facebook IS the internet, thus all these fake accounts and hoaxes easily spread hate and extremism in a society that is not ready in their critical thinking being exposed to Facebook “internet.” And Facebook makes zero effort in curbing these obvious fake accounts since they created the “engagement” that Facebook is looking for (in terms of numbers).
Seems like the underlying issue there, like with most things in life, is something else (i.e. humanity itself essentially).

(Also, Last Week Tonight is an interesting/fun show.)

drumcat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
Insta about to be MySpaced by Suckerberg.
[doublepost=1537917342][/doublepost]
Instagram has been getting really bad with the wannabe fake models living perfect lives and people obsessing about followers. It’s not a positive type of place for people honestly it’s so fake. Makes kids nowadays expect to have perfect lives. Look a certain way. Strive for something that’s not real.
Bring back MySpace’s I liked having my own custom wallpaper and music playlist and top 10 friends.

I'm *almost* tempted to go start a MySpace page in protest.

But then I realised I have this thing called a "web page" for myself. I guess what's old is new again...

Reactions: x-evil-x

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
If Facebook starts turning Instagram into more FB with more FB invasive spyware then I’ll kindly delete my account. It was only for fun anyway.
Agreed. No spyware, no insane amount of ads, no trying to pick what I might want to see with no option to just do a flat list by date. Merging the activity log and feed and making an ipad app wouldn’t be too buy

pika2000

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2007
Seems like the underlying issue there, like with most things in life, is something else (i.e. humanity itself essentially).

(Also, Last Week Tonight is an interesting/fun show.)
And Facebook knowingly exploited them while disguising themselves as bringing the “internet.” It’s the typical irresponsible and unethical attitude of Silicon Valley.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And Facebook knowingly exploited them while disguising themselves as bringing the “internet.” It’s the typical irresponsible and unethical attitude of Silicon Valley.
That's certainly one theory.

Textime

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2016
The same will happen to WhatsApp. WhatsApp will get ads in 2019.
[doublepost=1537927567][/doublepost]I really also don't understand how people can click these ads and buy actually something.
I mean if I want to buy new shoes from the internet, I just google it and get the lowest price.

ke-iron

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2014
I always wondered how much FB was involved behind the scenes on the service. The fact that the developers are walking away from an incredibly popular product that they created suggests FB was pushing hard against their wishes. FB is on the decline, so Zuck must want Instagram to be next.
Facebook isn’t on any decline. There isn’t anything remotely close to being able to replace it.

ikir

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Trinity of worst mobile apps ever: WhatsApp, Instagram and Facebook. The shocking things that all 3 are used in wrong way by its user base, they are technically disasters and usually blamed for "other space" on iOS, WhatsApp idiot backup, UI, integration, being a cliente based in 2018 (!!!!!) and eating a lot of space by iron implementation (zipped backup, duplicated photos in filesyetm...). But the worst thing of all: all these 3 damned apps are made by Facebook.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Instagram is the personification of everything wrong with the internet. It's all a lie, a terrible lie built on misinformation and self aggrandisement with the net result, undermining society and trust.

Instagram has been on the steady decline for a while now. The insane number of sponsored posts has spiralled out of control, the push towards video and stories has been unpleasant. You shouldn't open a photo app and be confronted with sound and video if you click on the wrong thing. The post quality has also dropped with people just spamming their timelines and the inability to sort the photos or even view thumbnails of your stream. It's a mess that is heading towards FB death.

Reactions: Darmok N Jalad

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 68000
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra
Facebook isn’t on any decline. There isn’t anything remotely close to being able to replace it.
They hold the record for the largest one-day stock loss in history, when they lost $118B after a bad earnings call earlier this year. Their popularity is declining with the younger age brackets as well. They aren’t dead, but I would call that declining.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Instagram is the personification of everything wrong with the internet. It's all a lie, a terrible lie built on misinformation and self aggrandisement with the net result, undermining society and trust.

Instagram has been on the steady decline for a while now. The insane number of sponsored posts has spiralled out of control, the push towards video and stories has been unpleasant. You shouldn't open a photo app and be confronted with sound and video if you click on the wrong thing. The post quality has also dropped with people just spamming their timelines and the inability to sort the photos or even view thumbnails of your stream. It's a mess that is heading towards FB death.
Funny, all of my posts are either humorous things I've seen or created, my attempts at artistic photography, and pointing out jagoffs, peterparkers, and racists. There's no lying to be had in my account.

I think your statement applies more to those who follow all kinds of celebrity accounts, brand accounts, and other shallow, vapid things. I basically use IG as a pictorial version of what MySpace used to be, a way to keep up with people I know (as much as IG non-chronological feed allows, anyway). My perspective may be shaped by the fact that I've had an account since long before the FB buyout.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I had no idea that looking at some photos that my different family members and friends post, while sharing some of mine here and there, has just all been a big conspiracy to bring down humanity.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 68000
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra
I had no idea that looking at some photos that my different family members and friends post, while sharing some of mine here and there, has just all been a big conspiracy to bring down humanity.
To some extent, I get what OP means. There is certainly a vanity culture that has emerged on Instagram—where people just video themselves preening, somehow with considerable popularity. It’s certainly not everyone though. I think if you use it to keep in touch with people you actually know and like, it’s a good service. For me, I feel like social media is about as good as the most dramatic person you know or follow. I have many a dramatic family member, so I have no SM accounts!