Instagram Testing Standalone Direct Messaging App, Hinting at Potential Removal of DMs From Core App

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 7, 2017.

1. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

I personally think this is a terrible idea. I hate that Facebook did this and, frankly, it's one of the reasons I don't even use Facebook all that much anymore. No need for 2+ apps when everything can be done in a single app much more efficiently.

2. trusso macrumors regular

Facebook will never pay its users, as you know.

If I were you, I would take the last step and simply delete my account. As long as you're in their database, they can still garner information about you.

3. lucianmarin macrumors newbie

I created sublevel.net to replace Instagram and Twitter. You can't sign up if you like the idea of a quality social network.

4. makr macrumors member

Maybe, but I like FB messenger, it allows me to contact my friends without using actual app, at first I didn't like it, but now I wouldn't go back.
    Instagram is not like Facebook, but recently I realised I talk some of my friends on Instagram, maybe in the future they would make their messaging features as good as Facebook messenger.

5. redgreenski macrumors regular

6. melancholy macrumors regular

melancholy

Because most people don’t like their Instagram associated with their personal Facebook.

7. redgreenski macrumors regular

I no longer use Instagram. Deleted it when FB bought them.

8. ke-iron macrumors 65816

I don’t need another messaging app. No thanks.

9. brunosh macrumors regular

brunosh

Oh, the days where Instagram was cool are long gone. I saw this as soon as Facebook bought Instagram. Sad.

10. Sefstah macrumors 6502

11. mossback macrumors member

mossback

Sorry, this is a horrible idea. Leave it the F alone.

12. MVMNT macrumors member

Why?! We have Facebook Mesesnger - the same holding company - with an app experience that's trying to converge features from others already.

Pointless.

13. drewyboy, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017

drewyboy macrumors 65816

Seriously, phone/text messaging has always been the best method to keep in touch with those that actually matter.

As a 30 year old, it's sad that social media is my generations "gift" to man kind. We have provided something that is just as addictive as drugs are and yet is socially acceptable. Peoples lives go to waste. Imagine the man power hours wasted scrolling through tweets, posts, etc that could have been used to strive for something truly life changing. Shallow, self conceited, entitled, and so many more adjectives describes my generation perfectly.

14. jarman92 macrumors regular

What a completely unnecessary and user-hostile move. So in order to have a FB and an IG you now need at least FOUR apps, not including options like Hyperlapse, Boomerang, and Layout. And why? So they can push more ads? Collect more data? Command more space on your phone? Just insane...
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017 ---
    Not to mention all the "public figures" who make money solely for being attractive and taking photos of themselves 24/7.

15. DoctorKrabs macrumors 6502a

DoctorKrabs

It's time for Apple to make a policy against this kind of thing.

It's really just gaming the App Store chart system to become #1 instead of #3. Facebook and Instagram are stagnating, and less new users download their apps. Therefore, they need current users to download a new app to appear relevant.

16. deadoctopi macrumors member

deadoctopi

Yeah. knew I wasn’t going to use FB messenger at all after the split when it asks you every two or three launches to turn on notifications and asks TWICE. Then it constantly shows you a ! like it’s something important. nope. just trying to get you to turn on notifications. it’s total garbage.

every time someone with my ****ing phone number messages me through FB i respond by picking up my phone and sending a text to their phone. I cannot stand messenger since the split.

i’d welcome instagram throwing direct into an app i won’t use.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Who are the "green bubble people" and how did they accelerate the "slide into a free fall"?

18. marty11 macrumors regular

The only reason I can see for this is that Facebook is losing young people in droves and Messenger useage is dwindling as a result.

No way they’d cannibalize Messenger if it wasn’t necessary. This is desperation to keep a demographic in the FB/IG ecosystem.

19. DanielDD macrumors 6502

This is actually what makes it really really good

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

So how would this help/affect that?

21. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

Oh wow I had forgotten about that! That was pretty freaking annoying. It is right up there with the nagging iOS gives us to update. I hate notifications that I can not customize or turn off.

22. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I tried it once. Constant begging to enable notifications and location sharing got it a quick trip to the delete button.

23. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

riverfreak

I’m close, but on rare occassions, i need to contact someone on facebook. This is particularly true when traveling and contacting people who use facebook as their primary business website.

Facebook has tons of information on everyone including people that don’t have accounts, via, for example, credit reporting.

Rarely logging in, blocking cookies, disconnecting apps, and preventing them from access to my location is the best I can do for now.

24. B60boy macrumors member

B60boy