Installing a New External WD Hard Drive on PPC Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Huntn, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I just thought I'd mention this for anyone who is thinking of using a Western Digital 1TB drive on your PPC Mac running 10.4.

Short story: the MyBook Essential 1 TB external USB 2.0 drive is not compatible* out of the box with my Mac PPC G5 computer.

If I plug it in, I get a message that the drive is not readable and an offer to initialize it. However when trying to partition the drive using Apple's Disk Utility (in 10.4), I get formatting error: Input/output error.

The solution is to download the WD Macintosh + Turbo Drive utility from Western Digital and install it on your PPC Mac. As previously mentioned, I have a G5, so while I assume this should work for any PPC Mac running 10.4.11, I don't know for sure.

* If you have an intel Mac there should be no issues with this drive requiring the utility to be installed. This hard drive worked as it should when it was first plugged into the MBP.

see my post below.

2. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

all iMac G5 and PowerMac G5 computers have USB 2.0!

however, if my logic is sound, if you did in fact have USB 1.1 (but you don't), having a USB 2.0 hub wouldn't speed anything up, as that data still has to pass through the USB 1.1 port.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Not all iMacs have USB 2.0, but all PM G5s do.

A 1.1 hub will be a MAJOR bottleneck for 2.0 traffic. The OP needs a 2.0 hub.

4. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I edited my post for clarity... I meant all iMac G5 and PowerMac G5 computers have USB 2.0:)

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I didn't even need to look that one up - a family member has a snowball iMac and it's 1.1. At least he's using Firewire (now ;) ) for storage.

6. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks all for the replies! I did not realize I had them when I erased the USB 2.0 question from the original post. The original question: I assume my G5 does not have USB 2.0.? Well that is wrong. Thanks for the help. :) I finally checked my profiler and yes indeed, I have USB 2.0 on my G5. :) Most of my USB peripherals are plugged into a Belkin USB 1.0 Bus Station. I swapped some cables around and here is what I found:

When the MyBook HD is plugged into the USB 1.0 hub, transferring a 18GB folder was gonna take only 17 hours. When I plugged it directly into the back of my G5, the same folder was going to take about 15 min. :D:D A Belkin USB 2.0 hub is in my future. I like the Bus Station and Belkin offers a lifetime warranty on their products.

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I don't believe that you need the WD software. When preparing the the HD for Mac use, using Disc Utility you need to Erase it first and then Partition it with one or more partition(s). The key is erasing it before partitioning it.

8. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

ah yes, good call. when you erase, make sure you format the disk as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). then partition, as DewGuy1999 said...