Installing iMovie on the Original iPad

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 10, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Earlier today, Apple released a update for iMovie that brought support to the iPad 2 alongside the iPhone 4 and 4th generation iPod touch. Support for the original iPad was notably absent. Fscklog has posted instructions on how to install iMovie on the original iPad using only the iPhone Configuration Utility 3.3 from Apple. The Configuration Utility was created for developers to manage provisioning profiles and installing ad-hoc applications, but in this case, can also be used to force the installation of iMovie onto unsupported hardware.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once you've downloaded the iPhone Configuration Utility 3.3 (and iMovie 1.2), you must click "Add" and add "iMovie" to the application list (first screenshot). Then select your original iPad, and simply choose "Install" on iMovie from the Application list (second screenshot). This should install iMovie onto your original iPad.

Note that your iPad will need to be updated to iOS 4.3 first for this to work.

Article Link: Installing iMovie on the Original iPad

2. GeekLawyer macrumors 68020

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
  3. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Thanks for the tip! I'm not sure why Apple is imposing this artificial limitation (greed?). iPod Touch 4G runs iMovie and it only has 256mb ram like the iPad.

I'll be installing this later this evening. A nice addition alongside GarageBand for iPad! Talk about an amazing iOS app. By far Apple's best! I can't stop playing with it.

4. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

You're asking why Apple imposes artificial limitations? Surely you know the answer by now.

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

Although this wouldn't be the first artificial limitation Apple has issued (4GB RAM max on late '08 notebooks until the 'secret' firmware unlock, '06 Mac mini limited to 2GB RAM, iPhone 2G having no MMS) - This is also a different version (more 'feature' packed, if you can call them features that is) of iMovie which probably taxes the processor and hogs a bit more RAM

I would be interested in seeing the original iPad running iMovie side by side w/the iPad 2.

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 603

Anonymous Freak

If someone who has done this could give a quick review, I'd appreciate it. Also, how would you get movies on it? Can you import AVCHD movies from an SD card via the Camera Connection Kit? (From a still or video camera that records in that format, obviously.)

If so, then I've found my new mobile movie editing solution!

7. rjheys macrumors regular

works on 3G S as well

just tried and succeeded to get it running on my 3G S. It works great.

8. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

I think storage space is a bigger problem than 256MB RAM vs 512MB RAM for iMovie on iDevices :(

I've installed GarageBand on the iPad 1. It's truly a killer app, I love it so much!! Can't wait to compose a song with that :D

9. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Oh. So if you are a Windows iPad1 user you have no options except to fork over $499 for a model it works on.

No wonder Apple has a great "return buyer" rating. The only way to get what you want working is to open your wallet.

10. LegendKillerUK macrumors 6502

iPhone Configuration Utility for Windows exists, l2google.

Not that it matters, upon syncing with iTunes it'll try to authorize the app, fail, and delete it.

11. trfjason macrumors member

It doesn't really make sense to run iMovie on the 1st gen iPad since it does not have any cameras. iPhone 4 and iPod Touch both have cameras, so it makes sense for iMovie to be supported there since it allows you to quickly edit the videos you capture with those device.

12. G4-power macrumors 6502

G4-power

IMO, it's not only artificial, this limitation. What are people supposed to do with iMovie on a device that doesn't record video?

The biggest problem isn't lack of RAM or storage on the original iPad, but the lack of a video camera. I'm sure there would be folks who would like to edit their video on the iPad, given the excellent multi-touch controls, and especially if they don't have a Mac and iMovie that comes with it. But think of the hassle it'll take to get the video material on the iPad. Apple doesn't usually do hassle. So by ruling out the original iPad, they don't get confused people asking how to load their DV etc. files onto iMovie.

Sure they could've added support for loading videos off of video cameras' SD cards with the Camera Connectivity Kit, but would've been more programming.

13. shartypants macrumors 6502a

shartypants

Maybe the only reason they don't offer iMovie for the original iPad is because it doesn't have a video camera.

14. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

15. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

That is so tired. Do you envision Apple executives sitting around cackling while rubbing their hands together? I'm sure cash is the only motivation and they never even considered the fact that the iPad doesn't have a camera.

16. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

Just noticed that the video record button is greyed out, that must have been specifically coded that way for running on the ipad 1 no?

17. dckcentaur macrumors member

I have it installed on my iPhone4 and iPad1.
    I see why Apple would not allow it on the ipad1.
    The user exsperence is not as good as the iPhone4 it's buggy on iPad1 . It crashed a few times and it hangs and on iphone4 i did ot see this.

I have found that most reasons apple does not allow it on old hardware is user experience that is what makes Apple a top notch company .

18. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

oh cool. Thanks! Maybe if people read this.... they wouldn't complain on the iMovie page in the App Store!

19. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

What would be the point of installing iMovie on the iPad with no camera?

20. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Give this man a prize!!!!!! The only sane voice here..... why would you want iMovie on a non camera device lol defeats the purpose doesn't??

21. etienneg macrumors newbie

Difficulty

I have some difficulty installing iMovie. It look "Mobile Application" which contains iMovie is inside iTunes. How do you get at it?

22. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

I think the main reason is transferring videos off of somewhere else to edit on the iPad (namely the iPhone 4) - more on-board storage, larger work area, etc.

23. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

because people that use imovie on the mac only use video from the isight camera?

24. Applenewstoday macrumors regular

Applenewstoday

The Mac Pro doesn't have a built in camera... And I don't see people walking around with their MacBook Pros recording movies.... I think it's a great thing to have it on my iPad, because I can transfer videos to it from my iPod using xFer Videos (I will admit, it takes awhile to transfer, but it works nonetheless)

25. ecschwarz, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

On a serious note, I loaded it on, it worked well, but when I went to sync with my Mac again, I got the following error:

"This computer is no longer authorized for apps that are installed on the iPad 'The Machine'. Would you like to authorize this computer for items purchased from the iTunes Store?

If you do not authorize this computer, the app “iMovie” and its data will be deleted from this iPad."

(Cancel / Don't Authorize / Authorize)

My computer is authorized, and clicking 'Authorize' reminded me that, but the only options that did anything useful were 'Cancel' (stopped sync) or 'Don't Authorize' (finished sync and deleted iMovie). Any ideas?

Update: Apparently I wasn't the only one with this issue: http://www.9to5mac.com/55352/imovie-works-on-original-ipad-heres-how-to-install-it/