Installing Mavericks GM - not a developer...

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Sue De Nimes, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Sue De Nimes macrumors 6502a

Sue De Nimes

Quick question - and I might not be able to ask this.

I am not a registered developer. IF I managed to obtain the GM of Mavericks can I upgrade to it from my current ML setup? (i.e. while retaining all my apps, documents, settings etc)

If I can do that can I legitimately upgrade to the release of Mavericks when it is released?

2. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Yes you can upgrade without losing anything. I'm not sure how it works when the official release is out. You might have to buy it on the MAS to update.

Last year I downloaded the GM (I'm not a developer either) because I was getting it for free anyway since I had purchased a new MBA.

3. iEnvy, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013

iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

OP I was thinking the same thing as you but there could be potential bugs and battery life issues. I hold on if I were you.

Well stuck my foot in my mouth. This should answer your question OP.

[​IMG]

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Yes. You can legitimately buy Mavericks on the MAS when it is released, but it's a waste of time to actually download/install it because it's identical to the GM.

5. nbnbxdnb macrumors regular

So could you get updates normally after installing GM ML, or did u need to overwrite the GM with a retail version?

6. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Installing Mavericks GM - not a developer...

I get updates over the GM. I'm going to do the same today or tomorrow but I'll be buying from the MAS since I haven't bought a new Mac this year.

7. nbnbxdnb macrumors regular

Ah, got u. I will do the same. It is so hard hold on while reading others' positive reviews... (for example, safari is snappier):D

8. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Safari is always snappier :p

9. 537635 macrumors 6502

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Knowing that GM is the final version, I would really like to upgrade right now. Later on I still plan on buying it (if it won't actually be free), since 19 euro is nothing for an OS upgrade.

Still... it's not exactly legal. And there is the question if it's somehow tied to your Apple Store account? (I guess not)

10. jsolares macrumors 6502a

If there are now show stopping bugs and no need to release a new GM, what you get today is exactly the same you would get later, no need to upgrade to the release of Mavericks since the GM is what's going to get released.

You will also be able to get updates with the GM

11. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Eh I don't think Apple will mind if I get the GM for free. I did buy this shiny new MBP from them last month, I SHOULD be on the Up-To-Date program. Hopefully I didn't miss it by a few days or something lol. Hurry up and announce it Apple!

12. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Im going by the assumption that everyone above who says that they will install the GM of mavericks for free, that they have torrented a pirated copy.

The dilemma I would personally have would be whether someone tampered with the version of the OS that I am downloading, how can you trust a random person of the internet that they have not tampered with the OS. I think waiting a few days, and receiving a version of Mavericks which is secure and comes from a reliable source, is far more valuable than installing it right now from an unreliable source.

13. MeUnix macrumors 6502

Agreed. There's very few torrent users that I trust and that is only because I know them personally. I would be wary of trusting an unknown uploader (if that is the case here) with something like a OS.

To each their own, though.

- Kyle

14. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Albeit I may download it anyway or find a direct link via iModZone, but one of the only torrents I could find of it had a comment from someone saying part of it could have been changed. Maybe they aren't doing anything harmful or wrong with whatever the tampered with, but I wouldn't want it to cause any issues.

15. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Comparing checksums should be enough.

16. BasicGreatGuy, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

How do you checksum this GM?

Edited to add: I figured it out.

016d4f28a34eedc57c8de300d77f9ca305215d0a is what I got from the file I downloaded.

Anyone have the checksum handy for Mavericks from the portal?

17. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Correct me if I am wrong, isn't checksum used for checking errors during file transmission? I dont think it can be used to validate a copy of Mavericks.

18. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Open up Terminal, then type
    Dragging and dropping the file inside the Terminal window after you have typed "openss sha1 " will work.
    For the md5, just use
    You have to compare the result to the one Apple provides.

19. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Seriously, I would be very cautious about taking security advice from this forum. Not everyone is the expert they often pretend to be. Hashes/ checksums can also be spoofed by hackers. I would wait a few days until Apple releases their official version.

20. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

No. You can use a sha1 digest to check the integrity of any file.

----------

You are free to document yourself on what a checksum is, and what sha1 or md5 perform. Google is your friend.

Also, Apple themselves suggest to check checksums when manually downloading updates. :rolleyes:

21. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

I am no expert in this field, nor do I pretend to be. All Im trying to say is that I would be very cautious with the software I trust my computer with. It is however technically possible to create a checksum collision, how feasible this would be in this case is beyond my expertise.

22. Jab00 macrumors regular

So I think this may have been touched on but well I want to ask again just so I can get a straight answer.
    I am currently looking to download the GM so I can make a bootable drive from it and will then pay for the update to 10.9 when it comes out later this month. But before I download the GM for the bootable drive I want to be sure that it is possible to update to newer OSX versions (for example 10.9.1 when it comes out) . I ask this because on iOS when you are on the GM you are for the most part stuck there (from what I understand). Please correct me if I am wrong as I really would just like to get my bootable recovery drive made haha

23. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Collisions exist, but creating a file with the same exact size and checksum as another one, while theoretically possible, would require such an effort, time and processing power that make it all highly unlikely. So unlikely that Apple, and any other distributor, provide checksums for the downloads.

24. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Thanks for the clarification.

25. MeUnix macrumors 6502

The GM versions are the same as the public release. So to answer your question, yes, you can update from the GM version of Mavericks later releases.