Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
I'm going to hell and break the law but my excuses are:

I can't pay for it yet and there's no way in damnation I'm installing OS X twice in weeks when all the upgrades for my old 'new' Mac Pro octopus arrive shortly #

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
If I install Mavericks GM will that update continue to sit in my App store or will it disappear after I do the Mavericks update?

Logically, why would 10.8.5 update continue present itself to you on the App store update list if you already have 10.9 installed?

uriel360

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2010
It's telling you what to do: copy the installer to a writable, properly formatted disk. IE, copy the installer application from the disk image to your desktop and run it from there :)

When I read this I felt like a dumb ass cause I have been looking for this answer. Sometimes its just that easy.. :eek:

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Logically, why would 10.8.5 update continue present itself to you on the App store update list if you already have 10.9 installed?

The only reason I ask is because I wouldn't be installing Mavericks through the App Store so it might not recognize that I already upgraded to an even newer version.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
The only reason I ask is because I wouldn't be installing Mavericks through the App Store so it might not recognize that I already upgraded to an even newer version.

When the App store checks for operating system updates it does not check to verify if you have downloaded the operating system from the app store. It only checks to see the version of the OS you have installed and then pushes the required updates.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Just finished installing. On the surface not much has changed but I can already feel how much smoother everything is. Before it used to be hit or miss with an app about whether it would scroll smoothly or not, now everything is so fluid. Tweetbot used to be a nightmare when scrolling through my timeline and now it feels like every other app. Although I will say iTunes doesn't seem as smooth as everything else

edit: I also gained like 10 GB of space, no idea how that happened lol

Last edited:

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Starting to uncover some rather annoying things. When I first boot up my system everything is laggy, whether I drag a window around or the icons bouncing in the dock. It seems to fix itself after a few seconds, but I tend to get annoyed when updates make anything worse than what I had before.

Also I think my boot up time is slower as well :mad:

I don't think any thing would have been different if I had waited though, just comes with the territory of updating OS's. *sigh*

tc47

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2013
Just finished installing. On the surface not much has changed but I can already feel how much smoother everything is. Before it used to be hit or miss with an app about whether it would scroll smoothly or not, now everything is so fluid. Tweetbot used to be a nightmare when scrolling through my timeline and now it feels like every other app. Although I will say iTunes doesn't seem as smooth as everything else

edit: I also gained like 10 GB of space, no idea how that happened lol

I also gained like above 10 GB of space, what is that all about, haha! I have 15" Retina Macbook Pro and everything is seriously smooth now, including the apps that weren't on ML as you say. Especially Safari for me is running even better when scrolling Facebook and other such websites!

postdeals

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2013
I keep getting failed to copy kernelcache error

Erasing Disk: 0%... 10%... 20%...100%...
Copying installer files to disk...
Copy complete.
Making disk bootable...
Copying boot files...
Failed to copy kernelcache, The file “kernelcache” couldn’t be opened.
Done.

I tried to burn the image twice and i received the same error.

Last edited:

postdeals

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2013
I fixed the issue by using another USB flash drive 16GB one and it worked creating the image.

Its installing fine now. Awesome job and thanks for the info and support !!!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.