Installing Office 2011 on MBA w/o SuperDrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jw nyc, Oct 27, 2010.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

So I'm an idiot. I pre-ordered Office 2011 from Amazon before I ordered my MBA and totally forgot that the Air doesn't have a CD drive. I received the disc in the mail today and my computer is scheduled to arrive Tuesday. Is there any way for me to install Office without the Superdrive (I didn't buy one) or do I have to return it to Amazon and download it online? Is there any type of workaround using Dropbox or a thumb drive? Thanks.

2. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

Assuming that you have another mac you can make a disk image and install office via the image rather than needing a disk.

You can do this through the disk utility found in the utilities folder (under applications). Insert the disk in your mac with a disk drive and then click "new image" and select the office disk. Let it do its thing and then copy the newly created disk image file over to the MBA via USB/External HDD/whatever....

No optical drive required....(except the first one on the other mac of course)

4. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

I obviously took to long to post this ^ disregard :(

5. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

We must have posted our last messages at the exact same time. Unfortunately I do not have another Mac but is there any way to do this via Windows 7?

6. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Why not mount the CD in another PC or Mac on your home network and share the drive?

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you access to another PC, as you can also use CD/DVD Sharing via a PC?

And I thought you can download it? >>> http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11316886#post11316886

>>>
    from

8. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

CD/DVD Sharing via a PC is definitely the way to accomplish this. Your MBA will come with instructions on how to do this.

9. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay I'll try it with my PC when my MBA arrives. I believe you can download it if you buy the online version but there is no trial that you could activate. If I'm wrong, I would love if someone would send me a link as I can't find one to download it.

10. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I am not sure how legal this is, or even if it will work, but the last time I was in a situation with no cd drive, I downloaded the image file via torrent, a dmg in your case, and used my own key to install.

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I believe you have to start the purchase process and then there will be an option to download or order the disc

13. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

OP just go to your local Walmart or Target and buy any external USB DVD drive, install Office and then return the drive back to the store. Prices range from $49-$99, not that it should matter. Done.

14. falconeight Guest

falconeight

You can download it. As soon as you buy it from microsoft you will get a link emailed with the downloads.

15. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

As stated in my original post, I bought the disc from Amazon so buying it a second time from microsoft is not an option.

16. GeekLawyer macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
  17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Instead of jumping through hoops and exhausting your own and everyone elses brain cells trying to formulate scenarios and work arounds, why not simply pick up the phone and call Microsoft Customer Support at MacBU and explain to them the situation. They may be able to provide you with access to the download if you explain your situation clearly and genuinely.

http://store.microsoft.com/Help/Contact-Us

18. DaggerRpm macrumors newbie

Wonderful world of Mac

Hi All,

Did anyone get anywhere installing Office 2011 onto the Macbook Air without an external CD/DVD drive?
    I have also received the Office 2011 CD for Mac without thinking about it as I was silly enough to think that I could just copy the CD contents to a network share and install the product from here or drag the contents to a folder on the Mac, as I have done with my Windows PC's on many occasions.
    Granted I am new to the Mac world.
    I downloaded the Mac software for my windows laptop shared the drive and this is now accessible from my MBA. Now when I try to access the Office 2011 via the remote disk I receive the following error:

"The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “Microsoft Office 2011” can’t be found."

I have read on other posts & the apple site that this is basically due to using the remote disk not supporting the cd for this function or MS antipiracy!

Has anyone found a way to install this onto a macbook air via a network share or remote disc?
    Or is there a downloadable copy which I assume should be ok as you would still have to purchase the license key? I would have thought this to be available to download as MS allow vendors to install the MS Office onto all PC's now then it is down to the end user to purchase a license key which then unlocks the relevent products you have purchased.

I think my problem is that I am new to Macs and more familiar with M$ Windows where these kind of things seem to be easier to me...

Thanks for any help.:D

19. robby818 macrumors 6502a

I installed office 11 on three macbook airs (two 13's and one 11) by sharing the superdrive of my 2006 mac pro. It worked in all three cases but it was really, really slow. I should have hooked up my samsung usb dvd-r drive.

20. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

Easy peasy lemon squeezy. I have added a couple of programs via a shared disc drive from my Windows 7 laptop. It isn't complicated at all.

21. grompa macrumors newbie

its simple if you have a PC

Put the MS OFFICE for mac cd in your drive on your pc.
    Create an iso disk image and save it on your desktop - (900 MB file Minimum)
    get a USB drive 4G minimum should do fine., transfer the iso file on the Flash USB drive.
    Plug the USB drive to your mba. run the iso file. the installation should go just fine. I just did it this way yesterday. Good luck!

22. zstar, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010

zstar macrumors member

You can indeed download it directly to your Macbook Air if you bought a digital copy of the software. I got my download directly from digitalriver and the file name should be "X16-92852-EN.dmg" and about 899mb in size.

You could get someone to upload the dmg onto a filesharing site for you and use it to install directly from your hard drive then. I myself have a copy of the original official install .dmg and have used it without any problems, not to mention extremely quick installation, but my internet upload is just pathetic - 50kb/s at it's peak so I can't help you out there. Do note that you still require a legitimate Office 2011 key of your own to get the dmg to install.

EDIT: I also have an official Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Home and Business ISO file direct from a Microsoft server which I can provide if you PM me and provide some form of confirmation or acknowledgement that you have indeed purchased the said software. (sorry just a courtesy measure so I don't unwittingly promote piracy)

23. ericssan macrumors newbie

Can someone kindly share his/her filesharing site on Office 2011 ? I have the serial for Office 2011 for Mac.

I have searched in vain for download link for hours. Thanks in advance.