Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Why not make a finger print sensor on the back for TouchID? And instead of using the thumb, you can use any finger that you feel most comfortable with holding it near that spot?

This way we can have a nicer looker phone with more screen space and touch ID which is cheaper (no special camera's and bionic chip is needed with a dedicated machine learning CPU) and works probably better even.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Why not make a finger print sensor on the back for TouchID? And instead of using the thumb, you can use any finger that you feel most comfortable with holding it near that spot?

This way we can have a nicer looker phone with more screen space and touch ID which is cheaper (no special camera's and bionic chip is needed with a dedicated machine learning CPU) and works probably better even.

The purpose of the notch is to make it look different. How do your suggestions help that?

serialiphoneuser

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Personally, because touch ID on the back of the iPhone is a horrible design placement and physically awkward. And its something Apple would never do.

Atleast something would have been better than nothing. You eliminate alternatives and stay on the high horse, you lose sales.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

??????

Were you around the forums when the rumor was that the new iPhone would have a fingerprint sensor in the back for TouchID?

Whole lot of threads with a lot of bile on that. Seems you may have missed them?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Atleast something would have been better than nothing. You eliminate alternatives and stay on the high horse, you lose sales.

Lose sales based on what? Apple offers two model iPhones with two different options for Touch ID currently. The consumer has options thus far. Not to mention, I think we all know the iPhone X won't struggle in sales.

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Personally, because touch ID on the back of the iPhone is a horrible design placement and physically awkward. And its something Apple would never do.

Honestly, fingerprint reader on the back isn't nearly as bad as some of you guys make it seem. Even on my Note 8, just pulling it out of my pocket, it's unlocked by the time I get it out. I mean, chances one of your fingers rest on the back of the device while holding it, there's no rule that says you have to use your thumb.

Reactions: Demo Kit

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
Is this supposed to influence my opinion based on what I think is a poor design? To answer your question, I have with the Note 8 and S8. And I found it uncomfortable and awkward.

If you think it's a poor design don't buy it. Gives me a better chance of getting mine sooner.

Reactions: HEK

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Honestly, fingerprint reader on the back isn't nearly as bad as some of you guys make it seem. Even on my Note 8, just pulling it out of my pocket, it's unlocked by the time I get it out. I mean, chances one of your fingers rest on the back of the device while holding it, there's no rule that says you have to use your thumb.

I think everyone's usage will based on how they are holding the phone and the size of the device compared to the size of someone's hands. For me, I didn't care for it. But I understand some prefer the sensor on the back. But I don't believe Apple every considered Touch ID on the back of the iPhone.

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No

I am curious as to how well face ID works. If it's as good as Apple says no one will even remember finger prints.

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I think everyone's usage will based on how they are holding the phone and the size of the device compared to the size of someone's hands. For me, I didn't care for it. But I understand some prefer the sensor on the back. But I don't believe Apple every considered Touch ID on the back of the iPhone.

I think they only considered it if the face id failed. I will fully agree that the fingerprint reader on the note 8 and s8 is not the best place on the back to put it in, but I still find myself using it instead of the other options.

Reactions: DUIduckSAUCE

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If you think it's a poor design don't buy it. Gives me a better chance of getting mine sooner.

I think you misunderstood my Post. It's the idea of the fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone I don't agree with. I plan on Purchasing the iPhone X.
[doublepost=1507405721][/doublepost]
I think they only considered it if the face id failed. I will fully agree that the fingerprint reader on the note 8 and s8 is not the best place on the back to put it in, but I still find myself using it instead of the other options.

Apple actually was experimenting with touch ID under the display, but once Face ID became working properly, they abandoned touch ID under the display all together. Craig Federighi confirmed this.

https://daringfireball.net/2017/09/iphone_x_event_thoughts_and_observations

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I think you misunderstood my Post. It's the idea of the fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone I don't agree with. I plan on Purchasing the iPhone X.
[doublepost=1507405721][/doublepost]

Apple actually was experimenting with touch ID under the display, but once Face ID became working properly, they abandoned touch ID under the display all together. Craig Federighi confirmed this.

https://daringfireball.net/2017/09/iphone_x_event_thoughts_and_observations

Honestly, I think abandoning touch ID had more to do with not getting it to work properly (No exec is going to come out and say that). Samsung has been having issues as well, something about the brightness of the screen not being consistent because of touch ID. I guess we will have to wait for the future to see if anyone gets it working, or if face id requires less trade offs in the end.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
Is this supposed to influence my opinion based on what I think is a poor design? To answer your question, I have with the Note 8 and S8. And I found it uncomfortable and awkward.

In all fairness, the sensor on the Samsung 8 anything is fairly garbage, ergonomically speaking. Google Pixel has the sensor on the back and it’s placement was as natural to use as the sensor on the front of the iPhone 8 and lower.

Figure when we hold the iPhone we have to bend our thumb to address it. The way most people hold their phones puts the index finger over the sensor almost naturally on the Pixel.

Reactions: DUIduckSAUCE

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Honestly, I think abandoning touch ID had more to do with not getting it to work properly (No exec is going to come out and say that). Samsung has been having issues as well, something about the brightness of the screen not being consistent because of touch ID. I guess we will have to wait for the future to see if anyone gets it working, or if face id requires less trade offs in the end.

I disagree. Federighi stated Touch ID was Plan B, but once Face ID was the primary source and optimally working, they scrapped it as he indicated. The notion was Face ID was a rush job due to Touch ID, and that was debunked later on. Ultimately, I think Face ID will trickle in the iPad and other products as well.

Interestingly article surfaced today from where other smart phone competitors might be leaning towards similar concepts as Apple.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...under-screen-fingerprint-recognition.2075911/
[doublepost=1507406931][/doublepost]
In all fairness, the sensor on the Samsung 8 anything is fairly garbage, ergonomically speaking. Google Pixel has the sensor on the back and it’s placement was as natural to use as the sensor on the front of the iPhone 8 and lower.

I don't think there is one true category for how comfortably somebody will use a fingerprint print sensor on the back of the phone. Everybody will vary based on how they're holding it and how it's comfortable in their hands. Some seem to really like it and others have returned phones because of it. That's like any hardware feature, not everybody will Find it useful.

Reactions: MisterMillz

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
Apple actually was experimenting with touch ID under the display, but once Face ID became working properly, they abandoned touch ID under the display all together.

I hope you feel as comfortable with your X and that 1 in 1M chance someone has of unlocking your phone with their face as I do with my touch ID and that 1 in 50k chance someone has of unlocking my phone with their print.

Loved how dude pointed out those random statistics in the keynote... that I'm sure a lot of people fell for.

I gotta find out if my cousins are getting the X. They are identical twins and I haven't seen Apple's statement on that yet.

For the record I'm not a Face ID hater... I'm just one who is more comfortable going with Touch ID for at least another year while seeing how the whole thing pans out with Face ID v1. :)

Reactions: 44267547

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
That placement would be very awkward. There’s also no point to focus on Touch ID when you have Face ID which will authenticate from just a glance. Much better solution.

Renegade72

Suspended
Oct 5, 2017
Europe

In my opinion there isn't anything worse than a rear mounted fingerprint sensor.

I stand corrected. There is something worse: a rear mounted sensor put near to the camera lens :D

Last edited:

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I hope you feel as comfortable with your X and that 1 in 1M chance someone has of unlocking your phone with their face as I do with my touch ID and that 1 in 50k chance someone has of unlocking my phone with their print.

Loved how dude pointed out those random statistics in the keynote... that I'm sure a lot of people fell for.

I gotta find out if my cousins are getting the X. They are identical twins and I haven't seen Apple's statement on that yet.

For the record I'm not a Face ID hater... I'm just one who is more comfortable going with Touch ID for at least another year while seeing how the whole thing pans out with Face ID v1. :)

Just because the 8 is inferior to the X, doesn’t make the 8 a bad option. To each their own right? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Figure when we hold the iPhone we have to bend our thumb to address it. The way most people hold their phones puts the index finger over the sensor almost naturally on the Pixel.

I've been a two-handed user since the original iPhone, so bending the thumb hasn't been an issue for me.

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Nothing wrong with preferring touch ID and I'm glad Apple still included that in the iPhone 8 this year. And I think having two options for the time being is better than just having one. But I look forward to testing Face ID and it's capabilities.

Reactions: TravisPNW
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.